Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on buying refurb laptops online

• 30-08-2006 3:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi folks, I'm looking to get a laptop for college, funds are a problem so i've been looking on ebay at refurbished laptops - some are around €200/250. Has anyone had any bad experiences with these laptops?. I'm not looking for anything too fancy, battery life needs to be reasonable tho. Here's one spec:
    Brand: Dell Condition: used CURRENT BID €180.00
    Processor Speed: 1,400 MHz Processor Type: Intel Centrino
    Hard Drive Capacity (GB): 30 GB Memory (RAM): 1,000 MB
    Screen Size: 12 inches Primary Drive: DVD-ROM/CD-RW Combo
    Features: USB, Operating System, WiFi Enabled, Modem, 10/100 LAN Card

Or would it be better go buy direct from Dell, their lowest spec laptop is €479 256MB 40GB Intel celeron 380?????

Your help would be appreciated - I know Nothing about laptops :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Out of those two options, I would go for a brand new Dell. Anything with a used battery which probably has gone through a fair few charging cycles won't last you very long and you would end up having to get a new battery, new one from Dell ftw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I dont know Ruu...some good bargains to be found on ebay! Just be patient,stick to your limit!,and you'll find what your looking for.The spec for the one on ebay is pretty alright but would be interesting to see its final sale price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you want an honest opinion, don't buy second hand, especially if you know nothing about laptops.

I would agree with Ruu, if battery life is what is important to you, a used battery will have a severely depleted life. Also, what if something goes wrong with the laptop? At least if you buy new, you have some comeback.

If funds can't stretch, what about buying of someone here on Boards.ie? Check out the adverts at the top of the screen. At least there is less of a possibility of you being caught in some e-bay scam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

Well its a bit like buying a car soon as you buy new you have done money which is not where your at. Ebay is grand until you find all the serious money goes down in the final seconds, there are ways, but thats another story.
    As for refurbs they are fine some just have paperwork missing or baged up wrong. Anyways for the kind of cash your throwing at it you should be able to get one from Tesco.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

I think refurbs might be a bit more than "missing manuals or badged up wrong (whatever that means?!) "....perhaps they have had components replaced that have gone faulty over time eg.RAM Hard drive etc.

• Advertisement

Ok these systems are mass produced they are not tested in production, so from time to time the dude on the production line goes for a leak and forgets to put a cd say in the box. It goes out, comes back to CHQ boxed up again but cannot be sold as new legally get me. The net result is you get a new system cheap yes! more info let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Stop tony, please stop. You are killing me. :D You should have your own forum, seriously.

We all could post there asking for advice on global warming, world poverty and the effectiveness of marmalade in preventing yeast infections.

Thanks Tom I would be more than happy with that idea, like an ask Tonyboy corner etc sounds good.Im up for it can you sort out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Bought an Ebay laptop for sis-in-law for €280 then had to spend €30 for new power adapter and €70 for replacement battery.

Should have bought a new Dell 1300.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I don't see the sense in buying 2nd hand myself. I'd go Dell. Just bought one off the outlet for my sis. Insprion 1300, 1.6 celeron, 1GB ram, 14.1 (1280x800) screen, 120GB, DVDRW, XP Pro for €560 incl VAT. Haven't opened it yet though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cityg

Ok thanks folks, appreciate all your advice! guess new is probably the best option. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

Well I had a play with the Insprion 1300. It seems decent enough. Its no vaio but at the price you couldn't complain. Build quality is decent. Practical rather than stylish.

Advertisement