Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Detective Inspector (insert name here...)

Options
  • 30-08-2006 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

So, I love crime novels, can't get enough of them. There easy to read, usually manage to provide a nice twist or two to put you off knowing what will happen next etc.

But aren't there enough of these out there at the moment...
    DI Rebus
    DI Banks
    DI Thorne
    DI Frost
    DI Morse

...are just a few of the British ones, then there are Hennin Mankells books with the Swedish version of a DI and the US equivalents...Detective (usually first or third grade).

Isn't it all becoming very formulaic? I think the nicest twist I've seen on this in recent years is Lee Childs Jack Reacher character, an ex-MP living life 'off the grid'. He still does a lot of investigative work , has the pedigree and yet can operate completely outside the law. Neat!

Also, one of the Reacher novels sees Reacher at a time before we met him in the first book, when he was an MP. The character allows plenty of scope and doesn't follow the usual rules.

Any opinions, rants? Don't get me wrong, I love the books, I'm reading a DI Thorne book at the mo' and loving it :D

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,555 ✭✭✭tSubh Dearg

I quite like PD James' detective, Adam Dalgliesh. He's quite a moody character and I love her writing style. She's in her 70's or 80's now and her books are consistently good.

I also like Elizabeth George's DI Lynley, who's a lord or something similar who went into the police force. The last one of her books left a terrible cliff hanger!

Slightly different is the Agatha Christie books though I mainly just like her Poirot ones. Miss Marple is also okay but Tuppence and Thompson or whatever they're called are rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I've seen a lot of books by Elizabeth George but never read any of them! Might see if I can pick any up from the library and go from there. Any particular one to start with?

I like Agatha Christie, although probably more for the nostalgic, 'wasn't it all so innocent back then?' effect. Terrible really that a novel where a murder occurs can be described as innocent but when you compare Christie with someone like Mo Hayder it really is true! :)

Advertisement