Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Strike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

It's definitely not a bluff. I'd be surprised if people who work in UCD cross the pickets too. According to one of the lecturers (second hand information, so don't quote me), unless Brady resigns or dies before Monday, there'll be a strike.

Only a one day strike so far, as far as I know, but I guess further action will be scheduled for later in the semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

panda100 wrote:
    How can any student expect to pay 600euro a year on parking..tis disgarce. And what about the poor folks living on campus. I really think they should put automatic gates instead of those barriers so that only UCD students can get on to campus. Some sort of swipe system cos its really not fair when your living in belgrove and have to drive all the way to clonskeagh to get into your room when the gates are shut.

what about the students, like me, who only have use of a car sometimes....I don't want to pay €600 a year to park the car once or twice a week and I certainly don't want to think about having to pay and display when I go into college either. This is so annoying!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i don't know what the setup will be on monday. most previous strikes haven't seriously affected the running of the college, but all bets are off i'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

I was talking to a lecturere yesterday and whilst a lot of lectureres aren't striking as they're not SIPTU members they've been advised by there trade union not to do any work done my SIPTU members normally and as quite a few of Services are SIPTU it's unclear will buildings even be open.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭FionnMatthew

What seems to me the most infuriating element of all this is the way UCD introduce their measures.

1. Promise it's not going to happen.
    2. Organise it anyway.
    3. Pretend it's a good thing, by using "positive" language.
    4. Ignore protests.

It's that kind of attitude that excites murderous rage in the people it's affecting. There's nothing anyone can do. Everything is dressed up as an improvement, and talked about in flimsy, upbeat corporate-speak with no substantive meaning at all.

More hearsay: Brady was turned down a job at Harvard because he hadn't presided over a Uni that was modularised. UCD was then modularised. I wonder where he'll be going after this job.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Ah well its only one day and by the way a lot of lecturers are part of SIPTU.The leader of UCD's SIPTU section is Dr Kieran Allen who commented in the University Observer about the dispute.

UCD and SIPTU are in the Labour Court at the moment.Its rather more complicated than just UCD giving SIPTU what it wants.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A lot of lecturers aren't a member of any union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Pythia wrote:
    A lot of lecturers aren't a member of any union.

Really well we'll have to see which lectures on Monday are effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

Just saw this on the UCD website:

UCD is pleased to announce that the threatened industrial action by SIPTU planned for Monday 11th September has been withdrawn following a series of local discussions and a conciliation process at the Labour Relations Commission. A programme of action to jointly address any remaining concerns underlying the threatened action has been agreed. Monday will be a normal day of activity for all staff and students.

So that's good news! I was dreading the possibility of going in for my nine o'clock lecture on Monday and then finding out that it was cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

yea, cancelling-lecturers-and-the-only-place-to-go-being-the-bar would really be the end of the world!! Damn trade unionists, they always do this, all the way thru school, teacher's union, bus strikes, and then, as if to say they actually cared about their customers, they reinstate services, if they really cared, they wouldnt get our hopes up at all!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Blush_01 wrote:
    It's definitely not a bluff. I'd be surprised if people who work in UCD cross the pickets too. According to one of the lecturers (second hand information, so don't quote me), unless Brady resigns or dies before Monday, there'll be a strike.

Only.

Is Dr Brady still alive and kicking so cos there's no sign of a strike on the ucd site?? Looks like it was a bluff to me......
    Anyway,its good news for everyone that the strike was averted. Hopefully Dr Brady will listen to the staff a bit more this year !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

panda100 wrote:
    Is Brady still alive and kicking so cos there's no sign of a strike on the ucd site?? Looke like it was a bluff to me

uhmm....beanyb already posted about the announcement on the site that it's been cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

uhmm....beanyb already posted about the announcement on the site that it's been cancelled.

oh yeah just saw that know. ooops! So many people this week like blush were saying that they know definatly unless Brady abdicated/resigned/whatever that there would be a strike,definatly.But there isnt.I think we all knew there wouldnt.When push comes to shove it was pretty obvious the lectureres would not strike. They never really threatened with the strike that much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭dajaffa

It was called off on Friday, so dear hugo had time to pop down to the freshers tent and say smello to us SU volunteers. I gave him a stress pig. Elmo gave him a lolly

Advertisement