Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom BB and hunting lines

• 30-08-2006 4:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭

I have a netlink phone system that hunts (or it used to) and got eircom BB in, because we our BB line is also the same as the hunting line we had to get a tech install to split the line to bypass the hunting. This worked quiet well for the past 3 years however in june eircom on their own bat decided to turn off my hunting and now will not turn it back on, the reason being that i have hunting, I am at pains to tell them that i have a tech install but "the supervisor" who will never come to the phone will not allow the operator to switch hunting back on.

Does anyone know who I can talk to in eircom to sort this? I have rang Eircoms BB support and they tell me i have the correct set up however they cant switch the hunting on.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Nuttzz wrote:
    I have a netlink phone system that hunts (or it used to) and got eircom BB in, because we our BB line is also the same as the hunting line we had to get a tech install to split the line to bypass the hunting. This worked quiet well for the past 3 years however in june eircom on their own bat decided to turn off my hunting and now will not turn it back on, the reason being that i have hunting, I am at pains to tell them that i have a tech install but "the supervisor" who will never come to the phone will not allow the operator to switch hunting back on.

Does anyone know who I can talk to in eircom to sort this? I have rang Eircoms BB support and they tell me i have the correct set up however they cant switch the hunting on.

Try writing to the Chief Executive (an old fashioned type letter I mean) usually gets a reaction reasonably fast. (Mr Rex Comb is the new CEO)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a hunting line??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭mang87

irlrobins wrote:
    Excuse my ignorance, but what is a hunting line??

it's like a fishing line, except you catch ****ing polar bears with it

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hunting line is essentially for hooking many internal numbers up to one external number.

Like in callcentres and offices that have one number you dial "1800 whatever" can take you through to any number of internal phones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Ah, cheers for that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭quazzy

Nuttzz wrote:

Hi Nuttzz,

I used to work for eircom.net doing BB support and as far as I remember we couldn't really do anything with the actual phones / phone lines themselves. I don't ever remember being asked to switch on a hunt.

All that stuff was dealt with by eircom Ireland ( eircom.net being a seperate entity from the telephone company). I know it sounds a bit weird but if ppl called to get a new phone in the house, or get maintenance etc we directed them to the 1901 number.

Best of Luck with it

Q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 abanazaar

Nuttzz wrote:

To the best of my knowledge broadband and hunting can not co exist and even more so with an internal phone system. a tech cannot split hunting for you at your home this can on only be done at the local telephone exchange
    i would suggest that you did not have broadband 3 years ago merely a line teed from one of your hunting lines and you used it for dial up.
    broadband is a totally different concept.also do not be confused with hunting internally on your netlink and hunting on your external lines.dont know what the tech done but it was nothing to do with the hunting on your external lines

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

abanazaar wrote:
    To the best of my knowledge broadband and hunting can not co exist and even more so with an internal phone system. a tech cannot split hunting for you at your home this can on only be done at the local telephone exchange
    i would suggest that you did not have broadband 3 years ago merely a line teed from one of your hunting lines and you used it for dial up.
    broadband is a totally different concept.also do not be confused with hunting internally on your netlink and hunting on your external lines.dont know what the tech done but it was nothing to do with the hunting on your external lines

im afraid you are wrong there as i have had BB and hunting on the same line for the past 3 years i.e. from april 03 to june 06, not any old BB either but their rather expensive Istream enhanced product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭event

abanazaar wrote:

id say he knows the difference between broadband and dial up:rolleyes:

it can be done, you need an eircom engineer or a qualified electrician to do it. basically, they take a filter or another line off before it hits the hunt group, and the dsl is run on that

but it can be done, definately

Nuttzz wrote:
    im afraid you are wrong there as i have had BB and hunting on the same line for the past 3 years i.e. from april 03 to june 06, not any old BB either but their rather expensive Istream enhanced product.
    if you had b band and hunting and an internal netlink phone system then the only way this could have worked is to have the b band on your second or auxilliary line.for some reason eircom may have thought that your second line was your main hunting number..it does happen...and therefore removed your hunting facility
    i think they will also remove hunting facility if you move to an olo (competition)

• Advertisement

update: eircom saw that BB was on our main hunting line and switched it off on their own bat they decided that you cant have BB on a hunting line even though i have had it on my main line number all along, the box the eircom tech installed has the main hunting line on it. We moved from eircom to another supplier and back to eircom without any problems with either BB or hunting about 15 months ago. They now tell me that if I want hunting on my main line I have to get a tech install, even though i have a tech install i have to get another?? WTF? Is this time to contact comreg?

event wrote:
    id say he knows the difference between broadband and dial up:rolleyes:

it can be done, you need an eircom engineer or a qualified electrician to do it. basically, they take a filter or another line off before it hits the hunt group, and the dsl is run on that

but it can be done, definately

this is exactly what we got done......3 years ago!

Nuttzz wrote:
    this is exactly what we got done......3 years ago!
    yes i agree but i'll bet it was'nt on your main hunting number ....
    a customer of eircom who has for e.g.two analogue exchange lines with hunting on to an internal telephone network and makes an application for broadband tend to give their main hunting telephone number as the number they want to have the broadband service on.eircom will not provide this service.....what the customer should be doing is applying for broadband under their second line....eircom will do this...a techie is then despatched to filter the second line at the customer premises and this is the box that all are talking about.the fact still remains that the control of hunting is governed at the telephone exchange end and not at the customer's premises.the techie is merely teeing the second line from the netlink system to the netopia interface box to provide dsl to the pc via a filter box

Advertisement