Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of help please????

• 30-08-2006 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm not computer savvy so just wondering if someone could recommend a good laptop I could buy? I have a desk top at home and would like to shift it. Basically , I would not need a top of the range one but would like it to have the mod cons iykwim - internet access, cd/dvd. I really don't feel like going into the stores and asking these questions and being sold a crappy job!!:D

Also, how would I go about transferring all the info stored on my desk top to the laptop, can it be copied onto the lap top so I can alternate between the two until I shift the desktop.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Have you looked at the Dell range of laptops? They have some very basic and cheap ones there and you can select what you want. As for transferring, then you can always network the two together, share files that way or get an external hard drive or keychain drive and use that to bring files from the desktop to the laptop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to laptop forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Yet again have a look at Dell.ie and check out the budget options they have,
    The worlds your oyster ...with Dell.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭ashie

Hi,

Thanks for that. My desk top is Dell so I'll have a look at their site.

Ruu - How would you go about networking the two together or the other option ie:external hard drive or keychain drive?? Told you I'm not savvy!!!

Get one of these, you just plug them into your USB port in the back of your desktop, copy the data and them bring it to the laptop. If you want something more permanent then you can use a few options to network them, either wireless or just a network cable to link the two together if they both have network cards.

• Advertisement

Hi Ruu,

Thanks! Now to copy the data - that means everything I have stored in the computer, all files, folders ,pictures basically everything, do you have to copy everything individually or is there a way of doing it in one step??:o

Well you will have Windows XP on the new laptop (yes?) so just put all your stuff onto the keychain drive or get a bigger one like an external drive, this would be fine. Copy everything onto that (or the keychain drive which might take a few trips), it might take a bit, depending on how much data you have. You will have to reinstall the programs again onto the laptop as you can't just move folders from Program Files and have them work on a new machine because they are linked with other system files and the registry, but any documents or other data can be moved with any problem.

Hi Ruu,

Thanks for that. You are a star!

Advertisement