Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bills For Esb And Gas- Low, Too Low!

Options
  • 30-08-2006 5:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭

I got some weird ones, €7.68 for one months leccy, and {seriously} €0.78 for just over 2 months gas {granted, they didn't charge me my usual €44 supply charge}

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

IT Loser wrote:
    I got some weird ones, €7.68 for one months leccy, and {seriously} €0.78 for just over 2 months gas {granted, they didn't charge me my usual €44 supply charge}

Are you on that scheme where they estimate your usage, and then compensate one way or the other at some stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

My last two ESB bills were waaaay to low, considering that I had the immersion on for at least three hours a day, was running a big widescreen TV for hours in the evening and had at least half the house lit.

I'm fearing the same that is was an estimated reading, and that when they eventually get off their arses and do a true reading that I'll be hock for at least €500 Euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

My last two ESB bills were waaaay to low, considering that I had the immersion on for at least three hours a day, was running a big widescreen TV for hours in the evening and had at least half the house lit.

I'm fearing the same that is was an estimated reading, and that when they eventually get off their arses and do a true reading that I'll be hock for at least €500 Euro.

The immersion will be a killer, but I don't think a telly uses all that much juice. If you are worried that the ESB have under-estimated your bill, I'm sure you can request a meter reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Or you could just ring it in...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 239 ✭✭wingding

It will say on your bill whether it's an estimate or not. At the top I think it says E after the kW figure. They seem to estimate every second one for me, and they've never estimated it twice in a row. Remember it is summer! Also in regards to gas check out the different tariffs. I only use mine for a gas fire so there was no point in me paying a large monthly supply charge so I changed tariffs. Just make sure it's the right one cos there's conditions on some of them to use a minimum amount.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26 dublingirl

The way the ESB operate is your meter will be read 4 times in the year and they will estimate the other two bills. However once they have two actual reads ie Meter Readers and or customer reads they then use this to calculate your estimates. So if you are concerned ring in a read then in a month's time ring in another one. I also think you can enter them on the their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

Hi there. Thanks for the interest!

I used get estimates on my old ESB bill, but the estimated bill still ran into the hundred{s} of euros.

See my point: A guy can get a bill for €100E, proper bill $140

Or, he gets a bill for €8E, proper bill is €12. Still a low bill. They surely can't have predicted a bill for €8, when the proper bill is €108. That would mean their estimate was out by 90% or so.

Thanks for the info, I'll call it in.

The widescreens, btw, run very little electricity when they are in use, but use HALF of whatever that is when they are in standby mode. You would be as well advised to turn it off fully when going to bed.

As for gas, i feel that twenty mins is plenty to do me and my flatmates a shower, another ten for the dishes, and another 30 for the washing machine, thats 1 hour with plenty of hot water to spare. I can't see why anybody would need 3 hours.

PS, those of you who refer to "immersion"...you aren't using electricity are you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭IT Loser

PS just got my bi-monthly bill for Leccy.

€17.00

Can't argue...but now there is talk that there is a slight possibility that I am hooked up to somebody elses fusebox.

Anybody else heard this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

wingding wrote:
    It will say on your bill whether it's an estimate or not. At the top I think it says E after the kW figure.
    Yes it does. I'm dreading getting my actual bill after running the immersion, washing machine and dish washer at full tilt during the summer.

Not to mention letting the local travelling carnival use my outdoor garden socket for their dodgems ride. What was I thinking!

Advertisement