Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband/phone cut out issue

• 30-08-2006 5:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Hi. Anyone have any ideas about the following-my brother in law has just got broadband from utv (or another service that supplies via them) and every time he goes online the phone goes dead and when on the phone he cant get online. He's tried a different adsl splitter but to no avail. I'm not techie enough to help him and so far he's just been put on hold for ages when he calls them (big surprise there). Anyone know what might cause that?

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

You say he has a splitter, but has he tried different DSL-blockers on the other phones in the house? Try having only the DSL hooked up, no phones, make sure he's online then call the house phone.

If that doesn't disconnect him, then there's a problem with either the splitter or the phone.

If it does disconnect him, could be a problem with the line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gavstar69

Well, theres only one phone in the house. What are blockers?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

gavstar69 wrote:
    Well, theres only one phone in the house. What are blockers?
    It's ok, if there's only one phone then it's a non-issue. Blockers just stop the DSL signal going to the phone, but the filter is already doing that if it's just one phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 gavstar69

Oh, ok. Well i'm non the wiser really but thanks for your time. I'm sure its just somethin simple, maybe in the config on his nic...cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

What kind of phone is it? Some DECT cordless phones are known to cause issues with DSL when you use them. Certainly sounds like a phone/line/filter problem and not something on the PC end.

Really simple question but has the phone and modem been plugged into the wrong sides of the splitter? Maybe try plugging in and using a different phone too and see if it causes a problem.

• Advertisement
Advertisement