Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Handsfree My Arse

• 30-08-2006 6:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Driving home from school today and had to make a call so i got out the bluetooth earpice paired it made the call and it lost its connection tried again and the same happend, all this was going on while i was driving down the quays stopping and starting, just seemed to me i spent more time trying to get the earpiece working than actually driving and paying attention on the road. GRRRRRRRRR!

[/rant]

-VB-

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

To my knowledge a bluetooth earpiece isn't seen as a proper handsfree kit in the eyes of the law. A carkit has to be hardwired into the car for it to be legal (I heard)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Bluetooth earpieces are fine once they have a one button answer, or auto answer. As are removeable kits (Ones that go into the 12v socket). There's a reason all the mobile phone shops are advertising free headsets, they do indeed comply with the law.

There would be issues in requiring people to hardwire kits, poor installation could cause airbag depolyment, devaluation of vehicles due to holes in dashboard, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

and that is why you make sure the earpiece is affixed to your ear and working before taking off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Cremo wrote:
    and that is why you make sure the earpiece is affixed to your ear and working before taking off
    Agreed but I'd say Volvoboy was just bored in bumber2bumper. but anyhow should have paired them before getting into the car. the pairing racket is different for all headsets. I use 2 different ones but once you have them saved to your phone its fine for subsequent use. My own one even connects automatically when opened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Day-wanna-wonga

Bluetooth is totally sh*t IMO. I've had a Bluetooth kit in both cars for about 8 months now, and they always drop the connection during calls - then I have to scramble to take my phone out of my pocket, and all the other person can hear suddenly is my radio coming back on really loud, and then a russel of me fiddling with my pocket.

Who approved this half-assed technology, before it was stable?? I never once had this probelm with my old Nokia wired kit...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

if you have it paired with the phone then there shouldn't be a problem , when i get in the car i usually dial the 1741 for your credit balance (cos it's free) just to make sure it's working because sometime even when the phone / earpiece is paired they can't "find" each other

some of the bluetooth earpieces are rubbish , i've a motorola one and it's brill and in fact can walk about the house leaving the phone in another room with no signal loss

i did however buy the missus a different one is absolute kack and drops calls if it's not within about 4 feet of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Any decent branded bluetooth earpiece should be fine, you really do get what you pay for though and a low end brand really is not worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,142 ✭✭✭TempestSabre

I've a sony one and its dire. Battery last less than a day. Must get a new one, though I hardly use it. People spend just as much time fiddling with their radios, CD's, iPods and talking to passengers as on the phone. before the ban I used to just use voice dail and then the loudspeaker on the phone and chuck it on the passenger seat. Though in fairness you see a lot of bad driving from people on mobiles. But I'd say most of them drive badly even without a mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,000 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

People spend just as much time fiddling with their radios, CD's, iPods and talking to passengers .

.....or talking on the CB, two way radio, smoking, applying make-up, writing notes etc. :)

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    Any decent branded bluetooth earpiece should be fine, you really do get what you pay for though and a low end brand really is not worth it.

It isn't an earpiexce - it's a proper handfree kit. Earpieces are for assholes. I have one of the best (if not the best) bluetooth kits on the market, and the Bluetooth connection drops regularly. And I know it's paired, as it has a display, and it says "Network OK", when it has found the phone...

I have one of these in each car, so it can't be just one faulty kit, as it drops off regularly on both. Sometimes it won;t happen for days, then it'll happen a few times in a row, and sometimes just randomly..
    HCB-700.jpg

• Advertisement

...Earpieces are for assholes. I have one of the best (if not the best) ....

No offence but you are using it all wrong. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭It BeeMee

I have one of these in each car, so it can't be just one faulty kit, as it drops off regularly on both. Sometimes it won;t happen for days, then it'll happen a few times in a row, and sometimes just randomly..

Problem with the phone itself?

No offence but you are using it all wrong. :D

No idea what your subtle ":D" point is there. I don't have an earpiece - I have a handsfree kit.

It BeeMee wrote:
    Problem with the phone itself?
    Nah, as the wife has the same phone and has the same issue. And it's not specific to that model of phone, as she also used the same kit with her Nokia phone a few months ago (without phonebook functionality though, as it's a Sony kit), and same issue.

I have just come to the conclusion that Bluetooth technology is sh*t, and is far from stable yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

You should pair it up before setting off.
    I had a lend of a new Alfa Brera earlier this week with built in voice activated bluetooth. It would only allow you pair up your phone when the car was stationary, even though it was all voice controlled....

prospect wrote:
    You should pair it up before setting off.

:rolleyes:
    See my post above....
    And I know it's paired, as it has a display, and it says "Network OK", when it has found the phone...

Don't comment on something if you're not bothered reading the actual topic beforehand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

:rolleyes:
    See my post above......

I did, but didn't feel the need to comment on it.
    Maybe your phone is sh1t?

I have a cheapy Bluetooth Cable & Wireless bluetooth headset that I got in argos. I have a Nokia 6230 and it has NEVER dropped a connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Earpieces are for assholes.
    Volvoboy wrote:
    Handsfree My Arse.

So that's what you do with yours? :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Get the software updated in your phone.

el tel wrote:
    So that's what you do with yours? :eek:

Hurrah! Someone else gets it. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

Earpieces are for assholes.

Please explain this needlessly abrasive comment?
    I use an earpiece - the old wired type. It works perfectly, and I don't look like an extra from Star Trek with this huge blue gizmo on the side of my head.
    By this logic, you're calling me an asshole, when you're the person whose expensive gadget ( the "best" apparently) doesn't work.
    Where's the ban button when you need it?
    :D

The phone sits in my top pocket, it never snags on anything, and it's perfectly safe.

y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

DWW - get yourself a Parrot.

I had a Nokia 616 bluetooth kit which would talk to every phone except my Nokia. I upgraded my phone, but they still wouldn't talk to each other. Then the brain fried last week!

A couple of my friends have Parrot kits, and find them excellent. We have one in the work van, and it will lift the phonebook from the phone memory for ease of use.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I use a Sony Ericsson HBH something.

It works, is relatively cheap, and is legal. Sorted :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Fey! wrote:
    DWW - get yourself a Parrot.

I had a Nokia 616 bluetooth kit which would talk to every phone except my Nokia. I upgraded my phone, but they still wouldn't talk to each other. Then the brain fried last week!

A couple of my friends have Parrot kits, and find them excellent. We have one in the work van, and it will lift the phonebook from the phone memory for ease of use.

Parrot kits? like these you mean? http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054984180

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I knew some wit would eventually link that!!!

The parrot I had in mind, despite talking back, isn't as colourful and won't leave residue on the seats!!!

Advertisement