Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

balancing school and acting?

Options
  • 30-08-2006 6:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31

Is it actually possible? A couple of months ago nothing could change my mind about moving to london to try and break the West End. But now after a couple of months of sensible thought I realised Im not ready to go yet. This is my leaving cert year so I still have a little while to decide but I have decided I really am a b it young to be leaving home straight after my LC so IM thinking of doing some sort of course in UCC maybe arts with music or something similar but are there any night classes that anybody knows of for acting? Preferably with a bit of musical theatre added in? As much as I would love to give up on my dreams I would never be happy if I never gave it a chance... I just have to put them on hold for a little while. Any ideas anybody?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

When I saw the title of this I read it as "Balancing School and acting" as in a School for balancing and thought "Wow I'd sure like to go to one of those!" But no, that's not what you meant. UCC do a drama course, you could try applying for that, and maybe double it up with music or English.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

First of all, I say keep up with the classes you're doing. I mean try to fit in one or two classes during the week and then 1 class during the weekend. I know the Director of the Monforts is a great Drama teacher, and all her teachers are fantastic too. I think you'll get their number in the phonebook or if you've any problems, I can give a few people a buzz to get it for ya. Have you experience in Dancing and Singing as well as Acting? It would really depend on what type of shows you're aiming for in the West End. You could also head over and do a Diploma course at a stage school after the Leaving? Or the UCC course as Piste said, but start looking into what future opportunities you may have with them.

It's not as easy as you think breaking into the London West End scene. Let me know what you're really looking to pursue and I'll try to help as much as I can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Attracta Mann

Sligo I.T are offering a new course. It's just beginning this year.
    Bachelor degree in Performing Arts - That's what I hope to do. I got offered it this year on me CAO - but I defered it.

You could also try doing Music and Drama in UCC.

Also, Colaiste Stiofain Naofa (PLC) offer courses for 1 or 2 years in Theatre Performance, Theatre Production and Musical Theatre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 shutupandlisten

hey thanks everyone
    well see the problem is I dont think that doing a drama or theatre course in UCC is really worthwhile.. it doesnt really bring you anywhere- the way I see it is all drama courses in ireland (even the trinners ones as well acclaimed as they are) are kind of a waste of time (at least for me) because they are mostly preparing you for the IRish acting stream.. which is def not what Iwant to be doing.

Im not going to be modest here and say im ok. Iv a lot of experience with musicals (and with stage plays), and there is a reason im so accomplished it is because Im good (oh my gosh im so arrogent...)

So the west end.. I would prefer to do musicals mainly but Im really open to anything I just love this... and if I had my choice I would be over there trying to break the scene right now!
    I have to go to Ucc and I have to do some type of a "plan B" course so... Im trying to balance my dream and reality... so... Im just kinda stuck about where I go from here

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Aspiration

Getting a fall-back qualification is absolutely fantastic- that's what i'm doin at the moment. A Degree in Computer Science, when I really want a career in dance performance lol.. So, I think yes, keep up with the UCC course. It'll be best if you have something on your belt *just incase* something happens with the Musical Theatre.

What I would then suggest is after your qualification, go to London and study Musical Theatre in a good reputation school. London Studio Centre, for example, has one of the greatest reputations in the industry (for both dance and musical theatre), and though I may be biased, because I actually want to go to this college, I've been doin their summer courses a while now and each year, their teachers and classes have never ceased to amaze me. You just need to find out for yourself which college suits you best.

I just realised I kinda went off the point there for a bit... :o Sorry! I think you should stick out the UCC course and maybe do a few october, easter and summer courses abroad. Get a feel for things in London and see how you get on from there.

Thanks for your PM :) and let me know if I can be of any more help.

• Advertisement
Advertisement