Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

splinter wrote:
    network vodafone, 6680

right it installs grand and i have deleted all settings and reconfigured through the nokia site and i downloaded the file using my phone so i know it shouldnt be a phone issue. all login details are correct but soon as i try to send it it asked for network access allowance, then asks which one i use, i pick VF ISP or vodafone live gprs settings and hit ok and i get your message could not be sent. any ideas?

edit...
    i went into packet data in configurations...do i need to setup an access point in there? currently it says none

Otions > Settings > Default Access Point should be Vodafone ISP and if not make it the default and if not there your settings download was wrong

and look in Tools > settings > Connection > access point > and Vf ISP should be there too

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

im using a 6680, make sure Vodafone actually enabled the ISP connection for you, that was my prob with meteor
    then go to settings > connection > packet data

Set Packet data conn to When available, and access point to isp.vodafone.ie or whatever it is for vodafone, for meteor it is isp.mymeteor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭dabbler2004

Ok I've downloaded it, typed a text but it just comes up that there has been an error in sending the message.
    I've used my login details that I normally use on the vodafone site for my webtexts, is there any other settings I need to change/update?

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

:cool:
    yapyap wrote:
    You're on a V3 right?
    Have you created a new Web Session like I told showed you earlier here ?
    Have you set this web session as the default?

If you're stuck on how to create / activate a web session try lookinhg at your manual. If you no longer have one get one here

Followed your instructions to a t - set them as the default and tryed but no joy, I still get message sent - you have nulerror - - - -with the isp set to default i launched the browser and it brings up the hellomoto page, trys to redirect me and fails because my phone does not support the web page its trying to redirect me to.

Think next time im shopping for a phone ill just get a nokia with o2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Anyone get this working on a Sharp 550SH, I can get the application to the phone using the memory card but I can only save in folders that won't let me execute the file, I've tried moving it and no luck. Also going to the URL with the phone just says 'the requested page cannot be displayed'

I think there might be no way or else I need to use usb and I don't have that for the phone...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

@ red_fox you try downloading the midp1 version?

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

The fact that you can't go to a URL with the phone means maybe your internet settings are incorrect? - Sure got GPRS up and running correctly?

Edit - As well mods, or people - ye think it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky, at least until we get a site up and running?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Webmonkey wrote:
    Edit - As well mods, or people - ye think it might be a good idea to make this thread a sticky, at least until we get a site up and running?

Its all on for the sticky!! :cool:

Webmonkey wrote:
    @ red_fox you try downloading the midp1 version?

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

The fact that you can't go to a URL with the phone means maybe your internet settings are incorrect? - Sure got GPRS up and running correctly?

I've been able to access http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text, which I did as a test for my phone and the site. The phone is designed for vodafone by Sharp and I think that they've locked out the possibility of downloading applications from anywhere other than approved vodafone sites, or even just vodafone itself! When I copy the file to memory card I can't put it in the applications or games folders and where I can put it just gives me 'Item cannot be opened' message. I tried copying it within the phone to no avail.

I even sent it to myself via mms and it still wouldn't let me save it in applications or games. I think I'm locked out :mad:

On a better note, I'm all for a sticky, or maybe a sticky of status of features and a list of the problems people have had + solution to keep things nice and concise, although that could be alot of work to do!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

dal wrote:
    No, but I will have a go at trying to sort this problem out.
    I just tried the midp1 version on a nokia 3220 with gprs wap, and it worked.. So does this mean that we don't need ISP GPRS to get it to work? I'm surprised myself it worked. Using the pp.wap.o2.ie APN.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

@ red fox,

Have you ever been able to get another other apps/games onto your phone?
    flodis79 wrote:
    I just tried the midp1 version on a nokia 3220 with gprs wap, and it worked.. So does this mean that we don't need ISP GPRS to get it to work? I'm surprised myself it worked. Using the pp.wap.o2.ie APN.

Actually kind of surprised this worked myself. Are you saying that the midp 2.0 version of AFT doesn't work and the MIDP 1.0 version does? There is actually no difference in the connection code at all, the only diff is some fairly superficial GUI stuff.

• Advertisement

I just got something off www.getjar.com, you find what you want and get a code then go to wap.getjar.com and enter the code and the download work...

Maybe what I need is a download link rather than a simple url? I'm thinking that the phone attempts to open the .jar file in the browser but fails, whereas a link with the explicit command to download might work?

I've no real idea what I'm talking about though, just a thought!! Thanks for your help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

I have a Vodafone RTG SE700.
    I downloaded the jar file to PC and bluetoothed it across to the phone.
    I was asked did I want to save it as an Application or a Game.
    I chose Application, but I'm not sure it would have made any difference if I chose Game.
    I launched the application without going near any settings in the phone, and immediately was able to send a text. BRILLIANT!!!
    I can use my Vodafone free calls and texts to send to other Voda users, and use AFT for people on other networks.
    I checked my balance before and after each text I sent using AFT and it seems I'm being charged 2c per text. This is much cheaper than 13c, but it is not a fraction of a cent per text. Should I exit the application quicker to get off the internet or do I need to adjust settings after all?
    Even if there's nothing can be done I can sure live with 2c texts.
    I thought from looking at Vodafone site that my free webtexts were not being reduced even though AFT said they had, but you need to log out to refresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Works fine with my 6230i on O2 - many thanks!!

dal wrote:
    Actually kind of surprised this worked myself. Are you saying that the midp 2.0 version of AFT doesn't work and the MIDP 1.0 version does? There is actually no difference in the connection code at all, the only diff is some fairly superficial GUI stuff.
    The 2.0 doesnt work, but the 1.0 does...

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Hey Guys - Got AFT working On motorola V3 at long last. Have been ringing emailing meteor since the day i first saw this board to have them enable the ISP settings - Kept on getting crap back from them - I was telling them i was trying to connect with my laptop so they kept on sending me laptop settings.

On friday i got very annoyed and sent them a very angry email saying that they dont seem to understand that i already have my laptop set up its my ******* Phone i need the settings for... got this reply back this morning.

Further to my last email. I have sent your query to our Technical Department and below is a summary of the response.

His number is provisioned for ISP, to connect to the internet the sub needs to make sure that the nessary software is saved onto the laptop and the Handset and laptop have been paired.

Entering the settings should be rather straight forward, most software for connecting will specifically ask for things like the dial up number.

Reading the customer comments below there is no confrimation that he has tried to use the settings and experienced a failure, can this be checked please?

They are still going on about my laptop but "His number is provisioned for ISP" Is all i was looking for.

AFT Working like a charm now. Still getting an error message after sending a message but at least the message sends and arrives where its supposed to.:) :):):):):):):):):):):)

Anyone else got AFT to work over pp.wap.o2.ie? On Nokia 3220 or other phone?

I checked my balance before and after each text I sent using AFT and it seems I'm being charged 2c per text. This is much cheaper than 13c, but it is not a fraction of a cent per text. Should I exit the application quicker to get off the internet or do I need to adjust settings after all?

Well it is fractions of cent on o2, especially during weekends. Can send up to 8 messages for a cent. Vodafone on the otherhand seem to have higher prices on their gprs. I don't know what meteor is like? though i was told it was a cent per message (off peak)
    As for exiting the application quickly that wont make any difference as its not time you are charged for, its how much data is sent/received.

Webmonkey wrote:
    Well it is fractions of cent on o2, especially during weekends. Can send up to 8 messages for a cent. Vodafone on the otherhand seem to have higher prices on their gprs. I don't know what meteor is like? though i was told it was a cent per message (off peak)
    As for exiting the application quickly that wont make any difference as its not time you are charged for, its how much data is sent/received.

It says 2c/kb on the vodafone website. If this was the case it wouldn't cost 2c for a text so I assume there is a minimum cost (2c) per session for vodafone. I am not really sure as I don't use vodafone. Can anyone who uses it for vodafone tell us what the cost is for them?

dal wrote:
    It says 2c/kb on the vodafone website. If this was the case it wouldn't cost 2c for a text so I assume there is a minimum cost (2c) per session for vodafone. I am not really sure as I don't use vodafone. Can anyone who uses it for vodafone tell us what the cost is for them?

Generally cheaper to send multiple messages in one session, ie don't exit app and restart, because there is a minimum charge per session
    Vodafone billpay, minimum charge 20c so be careful
    Vodafone PAYG, Meteor 1c
    O2 1-2 c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭Toy

I'm having the same problem as red_fox, there just doesn't seem to be any way to get the app to where it can run. (I also have a Sharp 550SH)

Is there a page similar to the O2 text page that I can reach from my PC to send text on Vodafone to cut out all the login delays? And also will it be possible to send mulitple text messages to appear as one long message to the recipient at some point? Even if I can never use it on my phone, it would be great to be able to send longer messages from my PC, and (legal issues aside) I doubt anyone would object to a few advertisments on such a page, it'd be great if you guys could get something back!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭j14

I'm on Vodafone bill and I've just checked it out. I'm being charged 16c per message, approx 300b per message. I'm gutted. I've been using AFT for nearly a week and never bothered to check how much I was paying. Beware!

j14 wrote:
    I'm on Vodafone bill and I've just checked it out. I'm being charged 16c per message, approx 300b per message. I'm gutted. I've been using AFT for nearly a week and never bothered to check how much I was paying. Beware!

Sh1t, thats terrible. 300 bytes of data for 16c on vodafone prepay! Thats a total ripoff.

@Toy,

Can you please navigate to the the jad file on your phone instead of the jar file?:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jad

I hope we can get this working for you

I am pretty sure someone made a vodafone desktop app, but I can't remember what it was called.

I will also implement a > 160 char limit on AFT asap. Its on the list.

vf bill pay is 16c + VAT
    dal wrote:
    I am pretty sure someone made a vodafone desktop app, but I can't remember what it was called.

there are three
    nitroweb text buddy - vf
    internet texter - vf
    smsvf02met - vf &o2

search & you will find

Ok, so I go to that and it offers to download to games/applications and then the download percentage bar comes up and goes to 100% and then tells me the 'application size is too large, cannot save'! I'll have to make sure I have room on my phone but it's no so big that that should happen....

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the help.

Edit: 2.8mb free, so that's not it....
    Also, the phone had been set to save to memory card and I changed that to handset and still the same story...

Toy wrote:
    Ok, so I go to that and it offers to download to games/applications and then the download percentage bar comes up and goes to about 80% and then tells me the file is too large! I'll have to make sure I have room on my phone but it's no so big that that should happen....

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks for the help

sh1t, my fault (i stated the wrong file size inside the jad), can you please try again?

Great that solved getting it!

But I tried to send a test message to myself and after accepting the message it says 'Message sent you have no username messages left' but I do have webtext left, I tried reentering the password to make sure that was right and I sent the message to 087xxxxxxx 35387xxxxxxx 0035387xxxxxxx just to make sure that wasn't the issue. And I do have vodafone selected.

I also tried to send a webtext the traditional way to eliminate the vodafone site and it works! Just trying to eliminate possibilites!! And it does cost 2c a time on vodafone (I'm not crying over that!) but once you have the multiple message feature up and running it should still cost 2c.

Does the app quit the session once the message is sent or if I was to send a few messages in a row would it still come under the 2c (however much data) limit?

Toy wrote:
    Great that solved getting it!

But I tried to send a test message to myself and after accepting the message it says 'Message sent you have no username messages left' but I do have webtext left, I tried reentering the password to make sure that was right and I sent the message to 087xxxxxxx 35387xxxxxxx 0035387xxxxxxx just to make sure that wasn't the issue. And I do have vodafone selected.

I also tried to send a webtext the traditional way to eliminate the vodafone site and it works! Just trying to eliminate possibilites!! And it does cost 2c a time on vodafone (I'm not crying over that!) but once you have the multiple message feature up and running it should still cost 2c.

Does the app quit the session once the message is sent or if I was to send a few messages in a row would it still come under the 2c (however much data) limit?

Ok, now we are getting somewhere. Really the only way you might get that error message is if your username password are not correct. Are you using your mobile number as your username? Also be sure to choose the right network on the login page.

As for the other questions, multiple messages would indeed make it cheaper per message (as you suggest, it would be in the same session).
    I will also have a look at keeping the connection open while the application is running (I don't think it currently does this).

Yes, username is 087xxxxxxx and password is correct, vodafone selected as it should be. I tried simply 7xxxxxxx and 35387xxxxxxx in case it expects one of those formats. Re-entered password to make sure as well.

Dal, just working off what Toy said there,
    and if this is correct, that each time the message is sent a new session created, do you think it is possible to keep a session continued thoguht the time the app is opened?

Just an idea to save bit of money for vodafone users

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi Guys,

Great application, huge potential. I have this working on a W800i on 02 pre-pay without any probs. Trying to set up a Nokia 6230i the same but keep getting the folllowing message. "Subscribe to GPRS First". I have access to WAP sites through GPRS, so i'm a bit lost as to what to do next. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Keith

Advertisement