Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I set up a wiki at http://aft.donutsoft.net/

Any contributions would be greatly appreciated :)

Should make things easier for yapyap who always has to reply himself to people who hasnt read through the entire thread. Thanks for helping everyone btw yapyap:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Just letting the dev know that AFT works fine on my 6610i with the 1.0 version of java (midp or something?) - thanks a million, this is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

... And just to let you know that it didn't work on 6600 with midp 2.0 version running on pp.internet apn. Error message all the time that unfortunately message not sent, but probably o2 server down as usual or sometimes "there was an error sending the message".. After that the screen backlight turns itself off, an I have to restart the phone to get it on again.. Guess it's a bug in the phone... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi,

Still havings probs setting up Nokia 6230i. If have tried the settings sent via 02 website, but still get error messages. I tried using APN pp.wap.o2.ie which works for my Sony w800i, this got a little further on the 6230i, i got an error messages "Error sending message 1" or something like that. Do i need to ring 02 support to enable pp.internet instead?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭billbond4

Works on the Sony Ericsson K300 also !!
    Cheers !!

• Advertisement

Hi,

Still havings probs setting up Nokia 6230i. If have tried the settings sent via 02 website, but still get error messages. I tried using APN pp.wap.o2.ie which works for my Sony w800i, this got a little further on the 6230i, i got an error messages "Error sending message 1" or something like that. Do i need to ring 02 support to enable pp.internet instead?

Thanks

try putting your Sony w800i's simcard into your 6230i as im assuming that the pp.internet ap is already activated on that. If it still doesnt work, odds are theres some setting somewhere thats wrong.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has anybody managed to get the apn settings working on any of the SE range. I have both the k700i and w810i set up along with the 6230i all on meteor. My isp settings are activated on both my meteor accounts, but I can only manage the internet access with the 6230i where as both the SE will only send using GPRS. When I view my call history on mymeteor I can see that iternet access is showing up but I always get an error and the message does not send, where as if I switch back to GPRS the message does go and GRPS shows up for 2c.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Has anyone got this to work on aK800 yet ???:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

will it work for the v3i on meteor?

donutface wrote:
    try putting your Sony w800i's simcard into your 6230i as im assuming that the pp.internet ap is already activated on that. If it still doesnt work, odds are theres some setting somewhere thats wrong.

Hi,

I managed to get it working on the 6230i. I simply called o2 to have pp.internet activated. I didnt need to ask for my W800i, just lucky i suppose.
    Anyway all sorted. Excellent app, look forward to future updates, keep up the good work.

Keith:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

dal wrote:
    I will also implement a > 160 char limit on AFT asap. Its on the list.

Great to hear that gona be very handy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

I managed to get the .jad file working on my Sharp 550SH but I'm getting the same "no username messages left" notice as the other user, do I need to get the internet setting off vodafone for this to work or had it worked for other vodafone users straight off?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Just put up a new version of aft.

Bug fixes:
    This version fixes the bug where (on some sonyericsson phones) the user must do the lookup twice (this is actually an SE bug http://developer.sonyericsson.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=7&externalID=437).
    This *should* also fix the bug where (also on some SE phones) the user can't enter a zero in the phone number field.

New Features:
    AFT now saves the last 5 sent messages. Messages are saved even if sending fails. In the "Write New" screen, there is an option "Recent Texts", and if you select one of them, it will insert the text in the Message Box. This feature will be developed further.

Misc:
    URLs for vodafone and meteor have been changed (donutface has set up a dedicated server).
    There is a new option "AFTUser" in the networks list. This feature will be further developed by donutface, but no new download of AFT will be necessary to use it.

If you download the new jar, it should be compatible with your old data (login details, recent numbers etc).

dal wrote:
    Just put up a new version of aft.

Bug fixes:
    This version fixes the bug where (on some sonyericsson phones) the user must do the lookup twice (this is actually an SE bug http://developer.sonyericsson.com/entry.jspa?categoryID=7&externalID=437).
    This *should* also fix the bug where (also on some SE phones) the user can't enter a zero in the phone number field.

New Features:
    AFT now saves the last 5 sent messages. Messages are saved even if sending fails. In the "Write New" screen, there is an option "Recent Texts", and if you select one of them, it will insert the text in the Message Box. This feature will be developed further.

Misc:
    URLs for vodafone and meteor have been changed (donutface has set up a dedicated server).
    There is a new option "AFTUser" in the networks list. This feature will be further developed by donutface, but no new download of AFT will be necessary to use it.

If you download the new jar, it should be compatible with your old data (login details, recent numbers etc).

Excellent stuff. If i could just add a few things that would be "nice to have".
    1. To include who the last text was sent to, date&time.
    2. The ability to delete your last 5 sent texts.
    3. Contact name instead of number displayed for your last 5 texts sent.

Just my 2 cents worth. Hope it's of some use.
    Again top work, keep it up.

I'm am currently not being charged a thing on 02 pre-pay for any texts.
    I have sent over 60 using AFT and my credit has not debited at all. It's da dogs b******.

Excellent stuff. If i could just add a few things that would be "nice to have".
    1. To include who the last text was sent to, date&time.
    2. The ability to delete your last 5 sent texts.
    3. Contact name instead of number displayed for your last 5 texts sent.

1. Will do.
    2. Will do.
    3. Will do. This isn't actually as easy as you might think at first as the java application doesn't really have access to the phone book. The app only has access to the number that the user chooses and never the name. When I implement this, the user will have to assign a name to the number (the only way it can be done). This would still be more useful though than only having a list of numbers.

I just implemented a quick an dirty version of the recent messages, because, it would really hack me off when I sent a message and it failed, thus losing the text. I will develop it further.

dal wrote:
    3. Will do. This isn't actually as easy as you might think at first as the java application doesn't really have access to the phone book. The app only has access to the number that the user chooses and never the name. When I implement this, the user will have to assign a name to the number (the only way it can be done). This would still be more useful though than only having a list of numbers.

Are you saying that you can create a sub phonebook to work with AFT (Similar to the MultiText desktop application?). Then when you select a number from your original phonebook list it can look it up on the AFT phonebook and extract the contact name. This would be excellent.

Also is their a limit on the number of sent texts you can store, and number of users sent to. At the moment it is 5 for each, can this be increased, to say 15?

Are you saying that you can create a sub phonebook to work with AFT (Similar to the MultiText desktop application?). Then when you select a number from your original phonebook list it can look it up on the AFT phonebook and extract the contact name. This would be excellent.
    Yes.
    Also is their a limit on the number of sent texts you can store, and number of users sent to. At the moment it is 5 for each, can this be increased, to say 15?
    The limit is, in theory your phone's memory. I will make the recent messages and numbers configurable, but I wanted to keep the number of recent messages low so I wouldn't have to keep deleting them if the list got too long. I personally don't have much cause to look at my sent texts, unless the last one failed and I need to send it again.

dal wrote:
    Yes.

The limit is, in theory your phone's memory. I will make the recent messages and numbers configurable, but I wanted to keep the number of recent messages low so I wouldn't have to keep deleting them if the list got too long. I personally don't have much cause to look at my sent texts, unless the last one failed and I need to send it again.

I am asking for these changes as i would like to get it as near as possible functionality wise to a Sony W800i. The phonebook will be excellent though. The number recent sent texts is not that big an issue, although the recent sent users would be good around the 15 mark.

This is without doubt that best java app created yet.
    Cheers

thanks for putting up the update dal.

Now to tell you guys what the AFTuser thing is all about (not working yet so dont even try!)

This is an optional user account system like MurphMessenger had, so if you wanted to, you can set up an Aftuser account, and on that account (on the website) youd put in your Meteor/Vodafone/o2 settings.

You might think this is pointless, but it means whenever a new service is implemented (such as Verizon or a few american operators), we wouldnt have to update the client in order to support this.

Aftuser will also directly plug in with MSN, pretty soon there will be an sms@donutsoft.net user on MSN messenger, you can simply send that account a message saying <Phone number>: Hi there
    ie 085123456: Hi there!
    Your msn username will be tied to your aft username so the bot knows what number to send it from.

Another service will be an anonymous texting service which allows you to post a 959 number on the boards (ie 95901), and if someone sends it a message it will use one of your own webtexts to send you the message.
    The whole 959 thing will be completely optional, however a chat system will be implemented based on that.

Some really exciting stuff coming soon :) Anything to build a better community!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

Is the new version found in the same place as the original? i.e. the killarneyonline address. If I click there will I automatically download the new version?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

donutface wrote:
    thanks for putting up the update dal.

Now to tell you guys what the AFTuser thing is all about (not working yet so dont even try!)

This is an optional user account system like MurphMessenger had, so if you wanted to, you can set up an Aftuser account, and on that account (on the website) youd put in your Meteor/Vodafone/o2 settings.

You might think this is pointless, but it means whenever a new service is implemented (such as Verizon or a few american operators), we wouldnt have to update the client in order to support this.

Aftuser will also directly plug in with MSN, pretty soon there will be an sms@donutsoft.net user on MSN messenger, you can simply send that account a message saying <Phone number>: Hi there
    ie 085123456: Hi there!
    Your msn username will be tied to your aft username so the bot knows what number to send it from.

Another service will be an anonymous texting service which allows you to post a 959 number on the boards (ie 95901), and if someone sends it a message it will use one of your own webtexts to send you the message.
    The whole 959 thing will be completely optional, however a chat system will be implemented based on that.

Some really exciting stuff coming soon :) Anything to build a better community!
    Sounds very exciting indeed! Wish I had more time to help you guys out, perhaps sometime in the future - started college again and things hectic.

Dal great work there on the updates. That solved the trick alright, about the having to enter number twice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is the new version found in the same place as the original? i.e. the killarneyonline address. If I click there will I automatically download the new version?
    Yes the new version is the same address. Just overwritten if you get what i mean

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Is the jad file also updated?

is the file on that the MIDP2 or MIDP1 version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Kick ass people... cheers to the deveopers for all the hard work put in.

Just got this working with a Nokia 6670 on O2 - sent a text there and it was 2c anyways! :D

A slight issue i noticed which may have probably been addressed (can take screenshots if you need further clarification): when writing any text, it seems to be slightly too big for the line height. And it obscured slightly at the bottom of each line.

And an auto disconnect feature would be useful... not sure if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Great new version :D:D

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I think it went unnoticed. I would like to be able to have three different login details saved in the app at the same time, for o2, voda and meteor, so you can switch between them easier.

donutface wrote:
    is the file on that the MIDP2 or MIDP1 version?
    Only the midp 2 version has been updated. I will update the midp 1 version as soon as I get a chance.
    A slight issue i noticed which may have probably been addressed (can take screenshots if you need further clarification): when writing any text, it seems to be slightly too big for the line height. And it obscured slightly at the bottom of each line.
    This wouldn't be to do with AFT, but rather the phones java implementation.
    Not sure what you mean here. AFT only connects to the net for the time it takes to get a response (usually just a few seconds) and then immediately disconnects. In any case, you are only charged for the data transferred and not the time connected.
    I posted this earlier in the thread, but I think it went unnoticed. I would like to be able to have three different login details saved in the app at the same time, for o2, voda and meteor, so you can switch between them easier.
    I will try to implement this but it is a little bit further down the list than some of the other features I wanna get done.

By the way, over the weekend, I noticed a little bug in the sent messages functionality (to do with the message order) which I will fix asap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

basquille wrote:
    dal wrote:
    Not sure what you mean here. AFT only connects to the net for the time it takes to get a response (usually just a few seconds) and then immediately disconnects. In any case, you are only charged for the data transferred and not the time connected.
    My GPRS ('G') signal indicates as active in the top left among the signal bar even after data has been sent.. :confused:

It seems the dedicated server that Meteor/Vodafone gateways are on is temporarily down today, I dont know what the story is but ill find out soon.

You wont get charged for the G logo on the screen, just for the information you send. I keep my GPRS turned on permanently as its faster to send the messages then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well my messages are not been sent on meteor either today, but I am been charged for trying to send each time.

25 Sep 06 09:37 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 09:38 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 09:49 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 10:17 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 10:58 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 11:30 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    25 Sep 06 12:12 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01

Advertisement