Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

O2 is still working fine and am being charged 2 cent a message!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

o2 working fine for me too. I still don't get charged for any texts.
    Strange, my brother using a v3 is charged 2 cent for every text, i get charged nothing. I tried it in Scotland last weekend and it worked fine, i was however charged 2 cent per text from there. Still pretty damn cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

basquille wrote:
    O2 is still working fine and am being charged 2 cent a message!

Are you billpay or pay as you go? I am pay as you go and I can send about 4 texts before I even get charge 1c. For billpay there maybe a minimum charge for internet connection
    I tried it in Scotland last weekend and it worked fine, i was however charged 2 cent per text from there. Still pretty damn cheap.

When you are roaming it is more expensive, but that 2c is compared to 39c that you would be charged if you didn't use AFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dal wrote:
    Are you billpay or pay as you go? I am pay as you go and I can send about 4 texts before I even get charge 1c.
    I'm Pay As You Go also.. would it be due to not ringing up O2 and asking for pp.internet to be enabled? As i just got the pp.internet settings sent to my phone from the Nokia website.. and when it worked, i presumed it was fine.

On a Nokia 6670 and my access point settings are as follows:
    Connection Name: Value PrePay (default from Nokia website)
    Data bearer: GPRS
    Access point name: pp.internet
    Username: O2
    Prompt password: No
    Password: ****
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: www.o2.ie

And then my GRPS settings are:
    GPRS Connection: When needed
    Access point: pp.internet

PS - does leaving GPRS always on drain battery power quite quickly? Similar to Bluetooth.

basquille wrote:
    I'm Pay As You Go also.. would it be due to not ringing up O2 and asking for pp.internet to be enabled? As i just got the pp.internet settings sent to my phone from the Nokia website.. and when it worked, i presumed it was fine.

I am not really too sure myself. I got my connection details sent to my phone from the o2 website, check out this post:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=1801103&postcount=5

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

hi.
    i'm a newbie to this app so sorry if this is an obvious question.

is the app's login username and password the same as my vodafone username and password on the vodafone website?

and should i tick "vodafone" or "AFTuser" if i'm on the vodafone network?

i keep on getting on getting an error message saying i failed to connect.

any info anywhere else that i can get about how to use this app.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Yes you need to use you same login details as you would on myvodafone. And you select Vodafone.

With regards to anymore info about AFT, read back through the thread, most of the questions that have come up have been sorted out with the help of all the guys whao have submitted repliers on here.

Are you sure that your settings from your provider are set up correctly.

Oh yeah, before I forget, AFT is back up and running on Meteor again now. Thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

Aquos76 wrote:
    Yes you need to use you same login details as you would on myvodafone. And you select Vodafone.

With regards to anymore info about AFT, read back through the thread, most of the questions that have come up have been sorted out with the help of all the guys whao have submitted repliers on here.

Are you sure that your settings from your provider are set up correctly.

thanks Aquos76.
    yeah i am set up for vodafone gprs on my phone.

the error message goes something like this:
    message sent, you could not establish a connection. (ip address). operation failed.

i'll back thru the thread again i suppose.
    thanks.

As far as I know, this application was down on Meteor and Vodafone for quite a while today. Its back on Meteor now, but it may still be down on Vodafone. Maybe a Vodafone user could confirm that for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Both Meteor and Vodafone was down today due to DNS issues, but both are up again :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Yeah my Vodafone is back working again now.
    It still charged me 2c per pop and reduced my webtexts even though nothing was being sent.

Yeah my Vodafone is back working again now.
    It still charged me 2c per pop and reduced my webtexts even though nothing was being sent.

If donutface's dedicated sever was down you definitely wouldn't have had your texts reduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JustSomeone

Is it just me, or does any other o2 user have an issue with this?

It worked fine for me up until the week before last. Since then, I keep getting the "o2 probably down again" message. I even downloaded the latest version, just in case.

Am I ok to presume that since I can download AFT direct to my phone that the internet connectivity side of things is ok on my end?

It worked fine for me up until the week before last. Since then, I keep getting the "o2 probably down again" message. I even downloaded the latest version, just in case.
    Thats strange, did you change any connection settings at all when you started getting the problem?
    Am I ok to presume that since I can download AFT direct to my phone that the internet connectivity side of things is ok on my end?
    Can't really make this assumption as you may be using a different protocol for downloading the app. What is stranger is that it WAS working, so your connection settings should be ok.
    Have you tried a clean re-install of the application (for this you would have to first delete the application from the phone and then download it), this will get rid of all the data associated with the program as well (recent numbers, login details, etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Is it just me, or does any other o2 user have an issue with this?

Re enter your login details. It does sound as if it is this. You are making communication so I would believe things in that end are fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭JustSomeone

Hiyez,

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, I've deleted and reinstalled the application, rekeyed in my login details etc, but have been getting the error consistently for about 2 weeks now.

I haven't knowingly changed my connection settings, I certainly haven't clicked on any "cahnge my settings" type option. Neither have I ever installed any app other than this one, so I can't think what else might have inadvertently changed my connection settings.

Bummer.

You might wanna try changing your APN.
    I found on my w800i which has APN set to pp.wap.o2.ie works fine.
    However the same settings on a Motorola V3 need pp.internet.

If i change my w800i APN to pp.internet it doesn't work.

Just try changing yours around and see which one works.

Keith

I haven't knowingly changed my connection settings, I certainly haven't clicked on any "cahnge my settings" type option. Neither have I ever installed any app other than this one, so I can't think what else might have inadvertently changed my connection settings.

Bummer.

Thats very strange indeed. Its seems like you are getting a response from the server, so your connection config does seem ok. Can you log into the o2 website and send a text from there?

• Registered Users Posts: 786 ✭✭✭center15

For anyone having trouble on 02 billpay trying to get this to work changing the access point to open.internet worked for me . Got the info from 02 data support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

i rang meteor about the apn access and she said they dont have the codes there ad i may find them o the site, should i ask to speak to a supervisor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

i rang meteor about the apn access and she said they dont have the codes there ad i may find them o the site, should i ask to speak to a supervisor?

i know it's a long thread, but you should try reading through that first.

How can anyone give advice if you dont give your phone details?

BTW back from France and used an Orange phone over there to access "orange Web". 0c / text - beat that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

yapyap wrote:
    i know it's a long thread, but you should try reading through that first.

How can anyone give advice if you dont give your phone details?

BTW back from France and used an Orange phone over there to access "orange Web". 0c / text - beat that
    ok sorry, i now have my apn sorted according to meteor. my phone is a moto razr v3i dg. where do i go from here? any help appreciated, thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

ok sorry, i now have my apn sorted according to meteor. my phone is a moto razr v3i dg. where do i go from here? any help appreciated, thank you.

Read the following posts
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52001760&postcount=55
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52034175&postcount=121
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52040527&postcount=156
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52042176&postcount=161
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52043418&postcount=168
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52048985&postcount=204

The app probably wont work on your phone so you will either have to use this
    or this works well but costs 2.8c / text + 1c gprs charge but can send texts worldwide for same price. Also useful if you exceed your web text allowance. Or you could get a shiny new Nokia

EDIT: The easies way to get a web address on your moto is to send text message to your phone from web text with the url . It's just so onerous setting up a web shortcut on a moto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

with my one that yapyap linked to, you currently have to enter your username and password each time but if you give me a few minutes i'll set it so you can save them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

this should hopefully work:
    save this as a bookmark so you don't have to type it each time:

http://texter.awardspace.com/
    t.php?u=08xxxxxxxx&p=1234&n=met

u is your username, i.e. your phone number

p is your password

n is your network (put in either met or o2). it doesn't work for voda but i can change it to if there's demand

put it all on the same line of course. i had to put it on two lines because of the way boards likes to cut the middle out of website addresses

edit:
    the website seems to be having problems at the mo. i'll let you know when its back up

edit2:
    its working sort of slowly now. if it stays this slow i'll find some other hosting for it but i've been using it for weeks and it hasn't been like this so hopefully it'll get better

edit3:
    it seems to be working every two or three times i try it so its not a coding problem. the o2 one takes much longer than the meteor but that's o2's fault.

are a lot of people trying it? is that why its suddenly slowed down?

Commander Vines
    Can you check out this for your 3220:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-68278.html

Is there any chance that you can get details for an o2 account and try it from your phone? It looks to me like there might be a problem with http POST commands using the v3 (for o2 we use GET).

Anyway, if this is successful I will release a new version of aft which uses GET for meteor and vodafone.

Any new AFT Features implemented yet Dal?

• Advertisement

Any new AFT Features implemented yet Dal?

Workin on it! I will try to make the next release include a few new features instead of making a new release every time I finish a feature.

Advertisement