Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dal wrote:
    Commander Vines
    Can you check out this for your 3220:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-68278.html
    i have a 3200, not a 3220. the midp1.0 version works on my phone, but i don't use it because i found my own html thing better for myself. 99% of my texts go to my gf so i set up one where i only have to type the message and it automatically goes to her :)

a mate of mine has a 3220 so i might be able to try it out on his and let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

this should hopefully work:
    save this as a bookmark so you don't have to type it each time:

http://texter.awardspace.com/
    t.php?u=08xxxxxxxx&p=1234&n=met

u is your username, i.e. your phone number

p is your password

n is your network (put in either met or o2). it doesn't work for voda but i can change it to if there's demand

put it all on the same line of course. i had to put it on two lines because of the way boards likes to cut the middle out of website addresses

edit:
    the website seems to be having problems at the mo. i'll let you know when its back up

edit2:
    its working sort of slowly now. if it stays this slow i'll find some other hosting for it but i've been using it for weeks and it hasn't been like this so hopefully it'll get better

edit3:
    it seems to be working every two or three times i try it so its not a coding problem. the o2 one takes much longer than the meteor but that's o2's fault.

are a lot of people trying it? is that why its suddenly slowed down?
    thanks so much, i trieed doing this and when the page loaded it came up with blank space on top for number then box for msg then send button, is that correct? is there anyway u can look at stored nums? anyway i tried sending a text and it failed and said meteor may be down, is it working for you?
    i also tried that mobi sms thi but it wont register

when i installed it and tried it
    it came up invalid app
    any suggestions

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

when i installed it and tried it
    it came up invalid app
    any suggestions

What kind of phone do you have and what network are you on? Have your tried downloading the jad file instead? (same address but instead of aft.jar its aft.jad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

dal wrote:
    Is there any chance that you can get details for an o2 account and try it from your phone? It looks to me like there might be a problem with http POST commands using the v3 (for o2 we use GET).

Anyway, if this is successful I will release a new version of aft which uses GET for meteor and vodafone.

app sends message okay from O2 with a V3

as soon as confirmation message "you have xxx messages left....." but for some reason it freezes immediately backlight goes off and you need to press end key, and then goes immediately to menu exit/suspend/resume

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    What kind of phone do you have and what network are you on? Have your tried downloading the jad file instead? (same address but instead of aft.jar its aft.jad.
    i have a nokia 6111
    and i'm o2 bill wheres the link to correct app again?

yapyap wrote:
    app sends message okay from O2 with a V3

as soon as confirmation message "you have xxx messages left....." but for some reason it freezes immediately backlight goes off and you need to press end key, and then goes immediately to menu exit/suspend/resume

Ok, it looks like the V3 doesn't like http POST. Nor does it like the fact that java can control the phone backlight or vibration.
    If you want to get rid of this problem (the freezing), you could use the midp 1.0 version.

I will try to create a non POST version for V3 owners soon.

i have a nokia 6111

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jad

i'm getting application error KNIEXT -newglobal ref failed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Those getting the application errors should give midp1 a go as well

• Advertisement

i'm getting application error KNIEXT -newglobal ref failed

When do you get this error? When trying to send a message?

I googled and found this post:
    http://discussion.forum.nokia.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-83412.html

ok it first said your message cannot be sent and now its doing a 300 second countdown thing i'm still not sure its working

thanks so much, i trieed doing this and when the page loaded it came up with blank space on top for number then box for msg then send button, is that correct? is there anyway u can look at stored nums? anyway i tried sending a text and it failed and said meteor may be down, is it working for you?
    i also tried that mobi sms thi but it wont register
    that's right. it should have two text boxes. one for the number to send it to and one for the message. its working for me, although sometimes it times out or goes slow. are you sure you put in the right phone number and password? they should be exactly as you'd enter them on the meteor website. there wouldn't be a space or special character (not a letter or a number) in your password would there? that might mess with it

there's no way to store numbers i'm afraid. you'd need the java app for that and my thing is really only for phones that won't take it

i suppose i could set up something to store numbers, but it would take longer, cost more and wouldn't be secure at all

To check out if your handset is midp2 or midp1 compatible check this out If your handset not listed try midp2 first, then midp1

Re Sticky
    You wont get proper access point settings for AFT sent from O2 or in fact Vodafone or Meteor websites and most handsets don't come configured with them.

Why? The operators make more money from the standard wap settings

Remedy - Take a few minutes to read through the all threads and links
    dal wrote:
    Ok, it looks like the V3 doesn't like http POST. Nor does it like the fact that java can control the phone backlight or vibration.
    f you want to get rid of this problem (the freezing), you could use the midp 1.0 version.

I had already tried the midp1 version - for this sort of stuff I think the V3 is just an over priced paper weight
    dal wrote:

Fair play to you dal

that's right. it should have two text boxes. one for the number to send it to and one for the message. its working for me, although sometimes it times out or goes slow. are you sure you put in the right phone number and password? they should be exactly as you'd enter them on the meteor website. there wouldn't be a space or special character (not a letter or a number) in your password would there? that might mess with it

there's no way to store numbers i'm afraid. you'd need the java app for that and my thing is really only for phones that won't take it

i suppose i could set up something to store numbers, but it would take longer, cost more and wouldn't be secure at all
    maybe it was timing out, will try again. i appreciate your help
    sent one there said 7775bytes sent and it cost me 10c of my credit! any ideas?
    also when i go in through stored pages it never seems to send?

maybe it was timing out, will try again. i appreciate your help
    sent one there said 7775bytes sent and it cost me 10c of my credit! any ideas?
    also when i go in through stored pages it never seems to send?
    7775 bytes? that's not right. trying it out now....

and it wouldn't work from stored pages from stored pages because of the way its designed

i just tried it there and it indeed took 12c, but i have no idea why.

my gprs data counter says in the last session i sent 1450B and received 709B which should cost about 4c.

4c is too much tbh. my original one cost 2c which is the minimum possible on meteor. the problem with that was that you had to enter your details each time.

i set one up for myself that saved my details but it has my details hard coded in it. i could do the same for you or provide you with info about how to set up your own server if you don't want to give me your details. its simply a matter of signing up to webspace at www.awardspace.com and uploading five files i would give you (2 php files each for meteor and o2 and one html file for the form)

edit: curiouser and curiouser. the 12c credit has suddenly reappeared, effectively making the text free..../me goes to investigate

edit: i checked on the meteor website and apparently they have been costing me 2c.../me investigates more

edit3: yeah, they're costing 2c so the current way should be fine. but if you still want your own copy so you can have more control its no prob. also, having the user details hard coded makes it faster

i stored the page so i just click on it and it comes up, last two cost me 4c each. can i make it so they would cost two? how do i go about making my user detalis hard coded?

i stored the page so i just click on it and it comes up, last two cost me 4c each. can i make it so they would cost two? how do i go about making my user detalis hard coded?
    if you want to make your details hard coded, you'll either have to trust me with them so i can set you up a dedicated php file or i can give you all the necessary files (5 files) and you can set up your own server for free at www.awardspace.com. i can run you through the process if you want

• Advertisement

if you want to make your details hard coded, you'll either have to trust me with them so i can set you up a dedicated php file or i can give you all the necessary files (5 files) and you can set up your own server for free at www.awardspace.com. i can run you through the process if you want
    pm sent

dal wrote:
    Is there any chance that you can get details for an o2 account and try it from your phone? It looks to me like there might be a problem with http POST commands using the v3 (for o2 we use GET).

Anyway, if this is successful I will release a new version of aft which uses GET for meteor and vodafone.
    im sorrry i do not really understand, i downloaded AFT and installed it, ran it entered num and passwrod selected network (meteor) wrote msg put in number but then failed to send, any ideas? my phone is the moto rzr v3i dolce & gabbana.

im sorrry i do not really understand, i downloaded AFT and installed it, ran it entered num and passwrod selected network (meteor) wrote msg put in number but then failed to send, any ideas? my phone is the moto rzr v3i dolce & gabbana.

As yapyap was saying, it worked for his v3 for o2. I think I know why it is not working for meteor or vodafone for the V3, but I need time to code a solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

i have sent a few messages of AFT and it comes up sent, shows ow many messages i have left and when i check my webtexts online it confirms the number on the web page. The problem is that the messages do not send. i have tried +353, 087 and 00353 and still no joy. I am using it on a vodafone N70.
    Thanks in advance

swalsh wrote:
    i have sent a few messages of AFT and it comes up sent, shows ow many messages i have left and when i check my webtexts online it confirms the number on the web page. The problem is that the messages do not send. i have tried +353, 087 and 00353 and still no joy. I am using it on a vodafone N70.
    Thanks in advance
    is the number of messages left changing each time you send a text? if it is, then its probably a problem at vodafone's end. can you send a text by logging in as normal?

i see you read my very long pm about how to set it up yourself and decided to give the java app another try :D

dal wrote:
    Ok, it looks like the V3 doesn't like http POST. Nor does it like the fact that java can control the phone backlight or vibration. If you want to get rid of this problem (the freezing), you could use the midp 1.0 version.

yapyap wrote:
    I had already tried the midp1 version - for this sort of stuff I think the V3 is just an over priced paper weight

Tested again last night on a V3 and on a V620 and in Java settings I switched off vibration. With the midp1 version you're right that the phone doesn't freeze and messages are sent successfully on O2 only. When you look in Java Settings it says CLDC Version 1.1 and MIDP Version 2.0.

I have tried out other messaging applications and the MIDP 2 versions work

The application can't access the phonebook on either handset unlike the Nokias

I note that the MIDP1 version downloaded from here does not save sent texts or have the option for "AFT user". Is it because it has not been updated or those features are the differences? I feel that is a very important feature if the application is closed by mistake

Could I suggest you have a different name on the two versions so that both could be saved for testing and also use version numbers?

Another suggestion down the line would be that if you wanted to incorporate a phone book then allow sync between AFT server and handset, then allow sync between the app and AFT server. This would cut out a lot of hassle for users.

Thanks for all the good work

no this is not working for me at all I get the error message the first time and the second time it does a 300 second countdown thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Dal,

Been using this the last week or so, works brilliantly. Send a lot of texts to a friend in Denmark @25c a pop, so this will save me a fortune.

Thanks a mill for putting this together.

C

• Advertisement

i have a nokia 6111
    no this is not working for me at all I get the error message the first time and the second time it does a 300 second countdown thing!

Does your phone dial a number when you try to send a message? It's possible that you are trying to connect through the redundant CSD access
    Have you removed existing settings and reinstalled new settings to your phone in accordance with this?
    Settings from O2 website are useless

Have you pressed select for the GPRS access point as value postpay? You must press select even if there is only one option

Have you set the phone to access GPRS when necessary?

Have you checked with O2 that your account has been enabled for GPRS ISP in addition to standard GPRS WAP

Have you registered and logged into the O2 website recently?

Have you checked that you can send web texts from the O2 website?

Have you checked that you can send web texts from your PC using this

Have you downloaded the MIDP2 version from http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar

Have you checked that your login name and password corresponds with those that work on the O2 website and that you have selected O2 as the operator?

If you have done all the above and find that the MIDP2 version doesn't work, have you downloaded the MIDP1 version from http://computer.donutsoft.net/aft.jar

Have you re-checked the login and password and operator configuration in AFT?

After doing all of the above if you cannot send from AFT, what message are you getting?

Advertisement