Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

yapyap wrote:
    Tested again last night on a V3 and on a V620 and in Java settings I switched off vibration. With the midp1 version you're right that the phone doesn't freeze and messages are sent successfully on O2 only. When you look in Java Settings it says CLDC Version 1.1 and MIDP Version 2.0.

I have tried out other messaging applications and the MIDP 2 versions work

The application can't access the phonebook on either handset unlike the Nokias

I note that the MIDP1 version downloaded from here does not save sent texts or have the option for "AFT user". Is it because it has not been updated or those features are the differences? I feel that is a very important feature if the application is closed by mistake

Could I suggest you have a different name on the two versions so that both could be saved for testing and also use version numbers?

Another suggestion down the line would be that if you wanted to incorporate a phone book then allow sync between AFT server and handset, then allow sync between the app and AFT server. This would cut out a lot of hassle for users.

Thanks for all the good work

Thanks Yapyap
    So I think I know what the problem is. Basically AFT uses http GET for O2 and http POST for meteor and vodafone. I will try to code a solution further down the line for this.

I haven't yet updated the midp 1.0 version. I am working on a new version of AFT at the moment (which has a phonebook). After I finish this I will update the midp 1.0 version and fix the above moto v3 problem.

Do you know whether the user can access the phonebook with the v3 running AFT midp 2.0 (or is it only the midp 1.0 version that doesn't work)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

dal wrote:
    Do you know whether the user can access the phonebook with the v3 running AFT midp 2.0 (or is it only the midp 1.0 version that doesn't work)?

Can't access on either version, but AFT is not unique on that - other messaging apps don't either.
    Motorolas are funny because you have firmware and flex variants. Let's say the new V3 with firmware R4515 has different flex versions between O2, Meteor and Vodafone. For instance SIM applications will only work on a Vodafone, definitely not on a Meteor and I think not on an O2. I recently had to reflash my V3 to get a dual Sim to work on it. It has even been written that different skins affect how applications work
    I think there are some programs on the Motorola developer site where you could test how your app works on Motos before release

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

dal wrote:
    I am working on a new version of AFT at the moment (which has a phonebook).
    Wow!! Any hints when this will be out? Can't wait to use that cos on my smartphone I cannot access the phone book from within the midp2.0 version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

i see you read my very long pm about how to set it up yourself and decided to give the java app another try :D
    i did actually read it! and i didnt try the other app before didnt realise yours was different and seen as i could access my phonebook on the other app i want to try use that!

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭johnp

I've got a SEP900 and am on Vodafone. I've tried both the MIDP1 and MIDP2 versions. Both try sending the message, but I get "There was a problem sending your message".

Any ideas?

• Advertisement

johnp wrote:
    I've got a SEP900 and am on Vodafone. I've tried both the MIDP1 and MIDP2 versions. Both try sending the message, but I get "There was a problem sending your message".

Any ideas?
    Ask yourself the same questions as http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52121964&postcount=392. In your case for Vodafone the service you requiew is isp.vodafone.ie. It is unlikely that your handset has been configured for this service. If your on Vodafone bill pay don't go to the bother unless you're on a data package

The same rules will apply as here

and you get advice on getting settings here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

notice people having trouble with the V3 and i don't know if this will help, but it works fine on the V3x for vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

is the number of messages left changing each time you send a text? if it is, then its probably a problem at vodafone's end. can you send a text by logging in as normal?

ya no problem sending one online. what is the best way to send ie 087 0035387 or +35387

dal if i change to o2 will it work on my moto razrv3i dg?also would it then cost me 1c for four? cheers.and would i be able to view my phonebook?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

swalsh wrote:
    ya no problem sending one online. what is the best way to send ie 087 0035387 or +35387
    its not my app, i just thought i might be able to help. i think 087 is fine though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

its not my app, i just thought i might be able to help. i think 087 is fine though
    cheers mate thanks for the help

dal if i change to o2 will it work on my moto razrv3i dg?also would it then cost me 1c for four? cheers.and would i be able to view my phonebook?

I can't comment on how much it would definitely cost, but it should be 1c for four messages. As for the phonebook, according to yapyap, motorola v3 does not have this feature, but I am currently coding a new version of AFT which supports an AFT phonebook which should help

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Excellent application, and credit to the developers for being so eager to share it and help everyone get up and running with it. Most people developing something like this would be more concerned with making a quick buck out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Benzino wrote:
    notice people having trouble with the V3 and i don't know if this will help, but it works fine on the V3x for vodafone.

Moto V3 on meteor working fine as well(Apart from the backlight problem). With meteor you really got to push them to activate your phones isp settings. I found this easier to do via email. When meteor recieve your email they have no idea what your talking about so they copy your email to there tech dept. After that its clear sailing.Just make sure you tell them your trying to connect to your laptop. they will send you back a load of crap with laptop settings but somewhere in the email it should say that isp is now active on your account and thats all you really want from them. Hope this information helps out a fellow Meteor V3 :)

Moto V3 on meteor working fine as well(Apart from the backlight problem)..........fellow Meteor V3 :)

Great you got it to work.
    Did you use any more settings than you had got here?
    Is your Razr a new V3ROHS (software R4515) or an original? (Press *,#, "Red end call key" at once)
    Which operator is it from?
    Did you try out the midp1 version to sort out the backlight issue?

I am very interested in receiving your reply because I know my SIM is activated and can text with O2 only. I have tried out the full 3 x 3 matrix on the new Razr , but get the following message from Meteor / Vodafone
    Message sent
    You have HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Cache-Control private.... etc etc

BUT the message isn't sent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Moto V3 on meteor working fine as well(Apart from the backlight problem).
    I have this backlight problem on a Nokia 6600 as well..

dal wrote:
    I can't comment on how much it would definitely cost, but it should be 1c for four messages. As for the phonebook, according to yapyap, motorola v3 does not have this feature, but I am currently coding a new version of AFT which supports an AFT phonebook which should help
    i downloaded the current AFT and i can look at my phonebook, but the message then fails to send and the screen goes dark. will the knew version work for my phone do you know? thanks

i downloaded the current AFT and i can look at my phonebook, but the message then fails to send and the screen goes dark. will the knew version work for my phone do you know? thanks

I don't know why the message fails, but my code tells the phone to flash and vibrate once when the message status is updated, I will make this configurable in the next version as it seems to be causing some problems on certain mobiles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

I've a Nokia 6670 and my screen goes dark after the message is sent also..

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

yapyap wrote:
    Great you got it to work.
    Did you use any more settings than you had got here?
    Is your Razr a new V3ROHS (software R4515) or an original? (Press *,#, "Red end call key" at once)
    Which operator is it from?
    Did you try out the midp1 version to sort out the backlight issue?

I am very interested in receiving your reply because I know my SIM is activated and can text with O2 only. I have tried out the full 3 x 3 matrix on the new Razr , but get the following message from Meteor / Vodafone
    Message sent
    You have HTTP/1.1 200 OK
    Cache-Control private.... etc etc

BUT the message isn't sent

Motorola V3 from Meteor. Im guessing its an Original (the *,#,red end call key did nothing for me)

I didnt do anything special to it. I just followed your instructions from an earlier post to set up the isp internet profile - Then just keep on to meteor untill they finally activated my account.

I have tryed the midp1 version to solve the backlight and fair enough it does just that but for some reason the messages take a very long time to send and 4 out of 10 messages dont arrive where they are ment to or else they end up there 20 or 30 minutes later.

I guess i can live with the backlight going off though:)

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    I don't know why the message fails, but my code tells the phone to flash and vibrate once when the message status is updated, I will make this configurable in the next version as it seems to be causing some problems on certain mobiles.
    ok sounds good, any idea when it will be out? cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Blackdragon did you email info@meteor.ie or is their an email address for customer services? I am using aft on a SE k750i and am being charged 2c per txt. Do i just ask them to enable isp on my account and send me the settings? Great app by the way :cool:
    Also (some people with sonyericsson phones may be interested in this) i sometimes use bluetooth to use my home broadband for WAP\gprs access link more info here i usually use it for using opera mini/eMSN at home. Any chance of getting aft to work with this, i tried it and i get an error. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

EvilMonkey wrote:
    Blackdragon did you email info@meteor.ie or is their an email address for customer services? I am using aft on a SE k750i and am being charged 2c per txt. Do i just ask them to enable isp on my account and send me the settings? Great app by the way :cool:
    Also (some people with sonyericsson phones may be interested in this) i sometimes use bluetooth to use my home broadband for WAP\gprs access link more info here i usually use it for using opera mini/eMSN at home. Any chance of getting aft to work with this, i tried it and i get an error. :(
    i dont suppose this will work on 3
    or does the walled garden stop it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

1huge1 wrote:
    i dont suppose this will work on 3
    or does the walled garden stop it?

I'm not sure give it a try. It should work as 3 wont see any thing because your using your PCs internet connection. Any problems have a read through the thread at the second link above most problems are answered there.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I finally got Aftuser in a working state, although due to a bug the current client wont work with it, gotta wait for the next version to come out first. There is 2 bugs, number 1 the username only allows numerical usernames, and 2. it visits the wrong url to send the message. Hopefully a new version will be out tommorow when everyone has their webtexts back

On the other hand, MSN support is added now too, so you can send text messages straight from MSN messenger.

1. sign up at http://sms.donutsoft.net/
    2. Log in, and set up a service. Note that all of your data is encrypted, and its not easy at all to simply decrypt it without the appropriate passwords, I cant even view the data.
    3. Activate MSN with your account (youll see this inside account settings)
    4. Add sms@donutsoft.net to your MSN contact list

type in
    send phonenumber message
    ie
    send 085123456 Hello there

Pretty novel thing, addressbook will be coming soon :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hey Donut, done it but -4 messages left. Is that going from your account or something? Ne ways don't think it working atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

-4 means your MSN account isnt activated yet.

1 bug on the bot where it doesnt sign in again once it gets kicked off, but ill fix that again.

To fix the -4 fault, go to http://sms.donutsoft.net/, log into your account and go to msn settings, select a Service (ie Default) or whatever and just click Save.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

Benzino wrote:

I thought it only worked with o2, does it work with vodafone now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

maxitwist wrote:
    I thought it only worked with o2, does it work with vodafone now?
    Works with Voda/o2/met

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has been working with all three networks(Vodafone, O2, and Meteor)for the last couple of weeks.

Advertisement