Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

where do I get the vodafone version? and do I just transfer it to the application folder in my phone via usb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

maxitwist wrote:
    where do I get the vodafone version? and do I just transfer it to the application folder in my phone via usb?
    When you enter your login details just select Vodafone as your network. It's the same program for all three networks.

What phone do you have?

sony v600i

I would imange you could just move it into the "other" folder on your phone and then run it from the phone.

OK THANKS, I'l go to the first page and the first link and download it now - ya?

• Advertisement

maxitwist wrote:
    OK THANKS, I'l go to the first page and the first link and download it now - ya?
    Yeah, they said the link in the first post will always be up to date :)

thought the first page only says mteor & o2

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

maxitwist wrote:
    thought the first page only says mteor & o2

The first page does only say o2 and meteor, but this description is not up-to-date (turns out you can't edit your own posts after a certain date).

Anyway, I am gonna bring out a new version of AFT in the next couple of days which is better than the current one whereupon I might start a new thread since a lot has changed since that first post.

Anyway, the current version should work for you on vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Dal I was thinking if you had time you might come up with a way of accessing the directory enquires websites from a mobile - the ones I've tried don't seem to work/load on my K750i?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

thats a good idea, the formatting of the results would be a problem.

What directory enquiries sites are you talking about exactly?

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:

I like the sound of this; you could basically send a text through AFT (the content of the message being the directory lookup that you needed), have the server do the query work for you and then text you back (using your free webtexts) with the response.
    Could work for many other services as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Dal you get my email there?

Webmonkey wrote:
    Dal you get my email there?

Haha, was just in the middle of replying when you posted, I did indeed get it. Thanks for the work on the >160 character feature. Ciaraninfo might also be interested in this for his desktop program (which also uses your server).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

donutface wrote:

you could try this http://159.134.203.172/search.asp?source=Eircom

or this http://159.134.203.172/dialling_int.asp?source=Eircom

or this http://www.11850.ie/

or this http://www.118.ie/

what if you have like 60 results though, how would the program know which ones to send you?

I suppose I could do it as such that it only sends you names/phone numbers
    and if you want to confirm an address you can type in Address <PhoneNumber>

yapyap wrote:

Couldn't get any of these sites to work on my K750i (even if they did the amount of data involved would be costly) and ringing any of the enquiry services from a mobile is very expensive. I was wondering if any one could come up with something along the lines of this http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/

I don't have a clue about programming but I'm guessing that it might be difficult/impossible to return the results to the phone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

digitaldr wrote:
    Couldn't get any of these sites to work on my K750i (even if they did the amount of data involved would be costly) and ringing any of the enquiry services from a mobile is very expensive. I was wondering if any one could come up with something along the lines of this http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/

I don't have a clue about programming but I'm guessing that it might be difficult/impossible to return the results to the phone?
    Nothing is impossible but i'm wondering why you are referring to http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ :). Thats what AFT uses for o2.

By the way anyone using the o2text thing there, you can now send over 160 chars (multiple texts in one go)

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

EvilMonkey wrote:
    Blackdragon did you email info@meteor.ie or is their an email address for customer services? I am using aft on a SE k750i and am being charged 2c per txt. Do i just ask them to enable isp on my account and send me the settings? Great app by the way :cool:
    Also (some people with sonyericsson phones may be interested in this) i sometimes use bluetooth to use my home broadband for WAP\gprs access link more info here i usually use it for using opera mini/eMSN at home. Any chance of getting aft to work with this, i tried it and i get an error. :(

Yes info@meteor.ie is the only one im aware of.... From there they will pass on your email to there tech department as they wont have a clue what your requesting:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

yapyap wrote:
    Tested again last night on V3 (ROHS) ....can't access the phonebook on handset

Messing with it again and found by accident that when the app menu asks for lookup, instead of pressing right hand soft key, if yu press the centre select of the 4-way navigation hey presto, the phone book pops up.

It doesn't show up in alphabetical order like when you press contacts normally but is a great help

Webmonkey wrote:
    Nothing is impossible but i'm wondering why you are referring to http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ :). Thats what AFT uses for o2.

Sorry as I said I don't really have much of a clue about this kinda stuff:) I reckoned that http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ allows access to the 02 webtext service in a stripped down way and was thinking that a similar page could be written to access one of the directory enquiry sites. Then maybe an app could be developed to make things a bit easier. Hope I explained it ok!

• Advertisement

Ok guys I wrote some code to screenscrape www.118.ie but Im still stuck for a way to present the results. At the moment it only gets the first 7 results max from the site, but this is still too much to fit into a 160 character text message.

This is what the results look like
    Caulfield Supervalu
    Merchants Qy, CORK, CORK
    021 4905584

Musgrave Supervalu Centra Ltd
    Tramore Road, CORK, CORK
    021 4803000

Ryan Liam : Supervalu Supermarket
    Togher, CORK, CORK
    021 4313268

Supervalu
    COBH, CORK
    021 4908340

Supervalu
    DOUGLAS, CORK
    021 4890330

Smarttelecom At Supervalu Cobh
    COBH, CORK
    021 4811988

L & N SuperValu
    Main Street, CHARLEVILLE, CORK
    063 81301

Cronins Supervalu
    120 Main Street, MALLOW, CORK
    022 21159

Anyone have any ideas on how to narrow that down, obviously all the details would be required. (The search I performed was Supervalu, Cork).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

you could put as many as will fit into a text and the person can get the next set if they don't find the result in the first one.

they could submit:

supervalue, cork

for the first few results

2, supervalue, cork

for the next few

and so on

most results will be in the top few hopefully so people won't have to receive more than one message most times

or you could just make a GPRS page or java applet that accesses 118.ie and returns the results with a simple text interface. that would get around the 160 char limit but make it a bit more hassle to use

just some ideas. you'll probably think of something better yourself :)

I like that idea, that could probably work.

The other idea I had is the more details you put in the location, the less itll put in the address
    IE say you put Cork, Cork in the location
    instead of responding with

Tramore Road, CORK, CORK
    021 4803000

It will only respond with

Tramore Road
    021 4803000

But implementing that might be difficult. Ill see how it goes

donutface wrote:
    I like that idea, that could probably work.

The other idea I had is the more details you put in the location, the less itll put in the address
    IE say you put Cork, Cork in the location
    instead of responding with

Tramore Road, CORK, CORK
    021 4803000

It will only respond with

Tramore Road
    021 4803000

But implementing that might be difficult. Ill see how it goes
    That looks promising, if you can write the smartcode :)

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

Just wondering if aft user is up and running yet

Any plans to add an option to NOT save sent msgs too? It seems impossible to even delete them?

The Fort wrote:
    Just wondering if aft user is up and running yet

aftuser is up and running but the client has to be fixed in order to use it properly. The new version was meant to come out today, but looks like it will be out tommorow. Thats when I should have the directory enquiries service up too hopefully.

donutface wrote:
    aftuser is up and running but the client has to be fixed in order to use it properly. The new version was meant to come out today, but looks like it will be out tommorow. Thats when I should have the directory enquiries service up too hopefully.

Yep apols guys, taking a little bit longer than expected. I will put up the new version tomorrow night.

>> CiaranInfo. There will be a new implementation of this in the next version (the one coming out tomorrow).

dal wrote:
    Yep apols guys, taking a little bit longer than expected. I will put up the new version tomorrow night.

>> CiaranInfo. There will be a new implementation of this in the next version (the one coming out tomorrow).
    Great work dal :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

this should hopefully work:
    save this as a bookmark so you don't have to type it each time:

http://texter.awardspace.com/
    t.php?u=08xxxxxxxx&p=1234&n=met

As a precursor to trying out the jar version (which I don't know if it will work, I've a Vodafone V1240), I tried out the version above, which worked fine for me! Shame I can't store an address book but it's still pretty neat - and cheap for sending texts abroad :) There seems to be a problem on the O2 website (again) so I can't check my Account details (but can log in), so I don't know yet how much my 'free' text cost me! ;)

Advertisement