Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

byrnefm wrote:
    As a precursor to trying out the jar version (which I don't know if it will work, I've a Vodafone V1240), I tried out the version above, which worked fine for me! Shame I can't store an address book but it's still pretty neat - and cheap for sending texts abroad :) There seems to be a problem on the O2 website (again) so I can't check my Account details (but can log in), so I don't know yet how much my 'free' text cost me! ;)
    did it work on vodafone? because it shouldn't have :confused:

or is it a V1240 with an o2 sim?
    at the moment it doesn't work for vodafone but i could make it to quite quickly if the java app won't work on your V1240 and you need it to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

sorry if you already know this, but the new version isn't working for vodafone. I have a V3X and the old version worked fine, but with the new one it keeps saying that there was a problem sanding the message. :confused:

Does the new version not support vodafone, or are voda blocking it now???

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Benzino wrote:
    sorry if you already know this, but the new version isn't working for vodafone. I have a V3X and the old version worked fine, but with the new one it keeps saying that there was a problem sanding the message. :confused:

Does the new version not support vodafone, or are voda blocking it now???

I haven't put up a new version for ages. Vodafone can't blocking anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

well vodafone support from the server end is fine, does anyone use this with vodafone and can confirm that they cant access my server with the program?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

donutface wrote:
    well vodafone support from the server end is fine, does anyone use this with vodafone and can confirm that they cant access my server with the program?
    I just tried to send one on Vodafone RTG. It's using a version of the program downloaded about 2 days ago (the one with AFTUser in it?).

It tells me "You have <h1>Bad Request(Invalid Header Name)</h1> messages left!" and does NOT send.

It seems to be working fine with O2.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    I just tried to send one on Vodafone RTG. It's using a version of the program downloaded about 2 days ago (the one with AFTUser in it?).

It tells me "You have <h1>Bad Request(Invalid Header Name)</h1> messages left!" and does NOT send.

It seems to be working fine with O2.
    Did it ever work for you?

if Vodafone did block it, it is a sad day, and ill open source the gateway code so someone else can put up a vodafone gateway, but Im not playing a cat & mouse game. I say stop supporting vodafone entirely then, they are crap to begin with and anyone on their billpay package couldnt use aft anyway, anyone on their prepay package i recommend moving over to o2, and writing a letter to vodafone stating the reason why.

Yes, it did.

Also, any eta on the K800i friendly release? :P

Why can't you use aft on vodafone bill?

they charge 16c minimum to initiate a data connection, so you can use it but it will turn out to be more expensive.

We could have some fun though with an entirely decentralised protocol though where if the phone knows of 1 node, that node will advertise other nodes with the same service, the only thing we would need lots of is PHP servers. Anyone here willing to offer up some PHP (but prefrebly ASP) space?

donutface wrote:
    they charge 16c minimum to initiate a data connection, so you can use it but it will turn out to be more expensive.

We could have some fun though with an entirely decentralised protocol though where if the phone knows of 1 node, that node will advertise other nodes with the same service, the only thing we would need lots of is PHP servers. Anyone here willing to offer up some PHP (but prefrebly ASP) space?

No Panic! I just tried it for vodafone and it worked. So it might have been just a temporary outage from vodafone.
    The game's not up yet!

Oh and also, with 160 character limit removed, it will be cheaper for vodafone billpay users to send a message over 160 chars through AFT compared to normal text.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,159 ✭✭✭leche solara

I'm with Vodafone RTG (SE700i) and my AFT has worked charging me 2c per text.
    Now I get message "Message Sent. You have response emptyERRORmessages left"

The message is not received by other phone, and my credit hasn't changed.

I'm with Vodafone RTG (SE700i) and my AFT has worked charging me 2c per text.
    Now I get message "Message Sent. You have response emptyERRORmessages left"

The message is not received by other phone, and my credit hasn't changed.

Actually, thinking about it now, I was using my o2 phone, but using vodafone login details, this only proves that vodafone has not blocked donut's server when it tries to communicate with the vodafone site. It is possible, I guess, that vodafone have a gateway which is used by phones to access the net and that this gateway has blocked the ip address for donuts server.

I just tried to get into Vodafone site to see if I could send from there.
    Message "Sorry logon services currently unavailable"
    That might be why AFT isnt working.
    Anyone else able to log on to Voda site?

What sort of resources do you need for this php malarky?

I just tried to get into Vodafone site to see if I could send from there.
    Message "Sorry logon services currently unavailable"
    That might be why AFT isnt working.
    Anyone else able to log on to Voda site?

Just got back into site and AFT works again.

right this is utterly confusing me.

Can anyone here actually use AFT from a vodafone simcard from their phone itself? I know for a fact my gateway isnt being blocked by vodafone.ie, but I cant tell for certain if the vodafone ISP has blocked my access point.

Phone --> Vodafone ISP --> AFT Gateway --> Vodafone.ie --> Phone
    (Problem lies with Vodafone ISP im guessing)

If the problem does lie with the vodafone isp, then I worked out a plan for a set of PHP proxies
    The PHP site communicates with my site to get a list of hosts which the J2ME client downloads, the J2ME client then goes through each host until it finds a working one (which could take 20c or so credit), marking the other ones as non working.

The problem would be vodafone running the program and getting the list, with some basic cryptography however we can make it more difficult however. Reliability of the service would also go down, as youd never know if the person who's running your gateway is snooping your messages.

donutface wrote:
    right this is utterly confusing me.

Can anyone here actually use AFT from a vodafone simcard from their phone itself? I know for a fact my gateway isnt being blocked by vodafone.ie, but I cant tell for certain if the vodafone ISP has blocked my access point.

Phone --> Vodafone ISP --> AFT Gateway --> Vodafone.ie --> Phone
    (Problem lies with Vodafone ISP im guessing)
    I should have said - that was from an O2 simcard.

I just successfully sent a text using a Vodafone SIM using AFT and a Vodafone account. I recieved it.

right now that that scare is out of the way, wtf is the new version of AFT dal :confused:

I want my 959 support!

It's working again now. Incorrect code uploaded I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ciaranfo wrote:
    It's working again now. Incorrect code uploaded I think.
    yeah, i opened this thread and then left it there for an hour and thenm went back to it. when i posted that it was working, i noticed that it had been for some time :D

donutface wrote:
    right now that that scare is out of the way, wtf is the new version of AFT dal :confused:

I want my 959 support!

Guys, I am really sorry, but I am gonna have to put this off until tomorrow night. Working late tonight (damn work always interfering with world domination).

I promise to have it up tomorow night.

dal wrote:
    Guys, I am really sorry, but I am gonna have to put this off until tomorrow night. Working late tonight (damn work always interfering with world domination).

I promise to have it up tomorow night.
    That's simply not good enough dal! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭DS

Is anyone's GPRS down completely on O2? "GPRS connection not available"

DS wrote:
    Is anyone's GPRS down completely on O2? "GPRS connection not available"
    @DS
    Mines working fine. MMS isn't working though :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

dal wrote:
    The application is called AFT (Almost Free Texts) and is available here:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar

when i enter that url on my moby through vodafone it's gives an invalid url error message

miju wrote:
    when i enter that url on my moby through vodafone it's gives an invalid url error message

Have you tried the jad?
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jad

What kind of mobile do you have? Can you not get apps on it via bluetooth/usb?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vwdeere

Im not sure if my phone is capable of this program. Its a sagem sg36i and has java powered games on it. When I transfer the files thru the computer it rejects them and when i try to download them via gprs it just says error in connection.ive tried both the jad and jar version. :confused:
    Does any one know if my phone is actually capable of this program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Maybe try the midp1, seems to work for the older phones.
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar i think

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Right any help greatly appreciated.

Using Nokia 6020 on Speakeasy.
    Downloaded the .jar file and used jadgen to create the jad file and uploaded to my 6020 using MobiMB. going swimmingly until i tried to send the txt.
    it pops up with "Subscribe to packet data first" (and a little stop sign) and then in the app it says: "There was a problem sending your message1"
    So i rang up the data help line. asked for packet data settings and they sent me out some settings and blah blah keyed in the pin when they arrived to install them. still no luck. she rang back from o2 to check that it worked. so i couldn't exactly go no it didn't cause i didn't want o2 to cop on to what we all doing. so i said i wanted the settings for accessing the Internet using a laptop. thought they might be similar. sent me out an email containing info - still no luck. browsed this thread and from what i gather u have to install the o2 isp settings. how do u do that..? i tried to do it using create new connection profile but there is some stuff that i cant enter such as ip addresses.

any-who to cut a long story short I'm stuck they just wont send.
    prob a v simple answer.

thanks v much lads
    Jon

Advertisement