Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

jmccrohan wrote:
    Right any help greatly appreciated.

Using Nokia 6020 on Speakeasy.
    Downloaded the .jar file and used jadgen to create the jad file and uploaded to my 6020 using MobiMB. going swimmingly until i tried to send the txt.
    it pops up with "Subscribe to packet data first" (and a little stop sign) and then in the app it says: "There was a problem sending your message1"
    So i rang up the data help line. asked for packet data settings and they sent me out some settings and blah blah keyed in the pin when they arrived to install them. still no luck. she rang back from o2 to check that it worked. so i couldn't exactly go no it didn't cause i didn't want o2 to cop on to what we all doing. so i said i wanted the settings for accessing the Internet using a laptop. thought they might be similar. sent me out an email containing info - still no luck. browsed this thread and from what i gather u have to install the o2 isp settings. how do u do that..? i tried to do it using create new connection profile but there is some stuff that i cant enter such as ip addresses.

any-who to cut a long story short I'm stuck they just wont send.
    prob a v simple answer.

thanks v much lads
    Jon
    http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/settings/default.do?wcmArea=/wps/wcm/connect/O2/Home/Personal/Fun/Get+Started

Try using that page. It worked for me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

http://www.o2online.ie/Utilities/set...un/Get+Started

Try using that page. It worked for me.

nope still getting subscribe to packet data first. am i missing something obvious here?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I dont have a Series 40 Nokia handy at the moment (which im assuming that one is), but in Settings you should see something about connectivity, there should be something about packet dara bearer, set it to pp.internet

Make sure your by your Wap browser (should be called something like Services) that your default APN is the internet access point. Can someone here with a Series 40 phone please write out the menu scheme (where all the internet settings are placed) so i can add them to the wiki?

dal please release the new AFT tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

jmccrohan wrote:
    nope still getting subscribe to packet data first. am i missing something obvious here?
    Ring O2 data support again and make sure you're provisioned for "PP.INTERNET" (assuming you're on speakeasy). Tell them you are connecting your mobile to your PC via cable/bluetooth and need the internet connection to be unrestricted.

Kindly decline their offer to talk you through, as them to activate it on your account, and then send out the settings from the sticky in this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

vwdeere wrote:
    Im not sure if my phone is capable of this program. Its a sagem sg36i and has java powered games on it. When I transfer the files thru the computer it rejects them and when i try to download them via gprs it just says error in connection.ive tried both the jad and jar version. :confused:
    Does any one know if my phone is actually capable of this program?

you sure its an sg36i? I can't find this on google.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

jmccrohan wrote:
    Right any help greatly appreciated.

Using Nokia 6020 on Speakeasy.

any-who (sic) to cut a long story short I'm stuck they just wont send.
    prob a v simple answer.

thanks v much lads
    Jon

yea simple answer would be to read through previous posts and the Nokia Configuration thread here and you went to a lot of unnecessary trouble with making a jad. For Nokias you don't need a jad file, just install the jar

miju wrote:
    when i enter that url on my moby through vodafone it's gives an invalid url error message

when the phone asks you to enter a url, sometimes the http://www bits are added automatically so try just entering
    killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar for midp2 first and if that don't work
    computer.donutsoft.net/aft.jar for midp1 version

In Motos when it says enter URL, the above works 100%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 vwdeere

dal wrote:
    you sure its an sg36i? I can't find this on google.
    No sorry :o its an sg346i. ive also tried it on a nokia 3200 but it just says file format not supported. id prefer it on the sagem tho if poss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

Like the poster with the Sagem phone I also have a probelm getting AFT into my phone.
    I have an imode NEC343i O2 speakeasy phone. If I mail the jar file to my imail account, the message is delivered but the attachment has been deleted. Apparently the only permitted attachments are MIDs and JPGs. There doesn't seem to be any way to change this.
    I then downloaded the NEC handset manager software and connected phone to PC with USB cable. The handset manager software tells me that files of this type (jar) can not be installed to phone.
    If I connect to killarneyonline through the browser on the phone I'm told 'Unlawful Command'
    I am at loss as to what to do next. The bloody phone has java games, and you can download them through imode.

Have they disabled the ability to add your own java applications because then they don't get any money?

vwdeere wrote:
    No sorry :o its an sg346i. ive also tried it on a nokia 3200 but it just says file format not supported. id prefer it on the sagem tho if poss

I guess the question for yourself and Pansy Potter is: have you ever been able to download an application to your phone? If so, how? And was it a .jad or a .jar?
    This problems would be generic and not specific to AFT. Use google to search for how to get ANY application on your phone (may also be tied in to your network).

• Advertisement

Like the poster with the Sagem phone I also have a probelm getting AFT into my phone.
    I have an imode

Place the .jar and .jad files in same folder on your pc
    Click on .jad file, and this should allow the jar file to upload UNLESS the phone is not enabled for app loading by cable

The alternative is to go directly to the download link for the .jar file using your phone's browser and it should download then

I put up a new version of AFT (1.2) up late last night.
    New thread started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I can get any Java application into my phone provided I get them through the o2 imode internet on my phone. Obviously I am limited to what I can get by the choice available and I will also be charged. I don't know of any way to get free or unauthorised apps. in

donutface wrote:
    I dont have a Series 40 ........u should see something about connectivity, there should be something about packet dara bearer, set it to pp.internet
    !

The cnnectivity settings has nothing to do with AFT......this setting only needs adjustment for use of the handset as a modem

vwdeere wrote:
    Im not sure if my phone is capable of this program. Its a sagem sg36i and has java powered games on it. When I transfer the files thru the computer it rejects them and when i try to download them via gprs it just says error in connection.ive tried both the jad and jar version. :confused:
    Does any one know if my phone is actually capable of this program?

the phone says error in connection.....what provider do you use? can you access any non provider sites? If not you need to configure your handset first before you can download the applications

In general many handsets have app loading by cable disabled. If you were a network provider you would get more money out of forcing your customers to load stuff on the phone over the air (OTA) than DIY. Hasn't a whole industry grown on this premise?

vwdeere wrote:

The nokia 3200 is only Midp 1.0 compliant.
    Try the aft mip 1.0 version available here:
    http://computer.donutsoft.net/aft.jar

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,182 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

This brilliant little app was working last night and now today when i try to send a message it says: "Packet Data Authentication Failed". Have O2 copped on and banned it?

Nokia 6020, Speakeasy BTW,

Jon

jmccrohan wrote:
    This brilliant little app was working last night and now today when i try to send a message it says: "Packet Data Authentication Failed". Have O2 copped on and banned it?

Nokia 6020, Speakeasy BTW,

Jon

Nope, I am on o2 and I just tried it, works fine. I think there were problems earlier with the o2 site though.
    BTW, have you given the latest version (AFT 1.2) a twirl?

hummm..... thats odd. yea im usin the new version. great to be able to finally access ur own phone book. Is there any user name or sumthin i need to change in gprs settings?

jmccrohan wrote:
    hummm..... thats odd. yea im usin the new version. great to be able to finally access ur own phone book. Is there any user name or sumthin i need to change in gprs settings?

No, you shouldn't have to change anything outside the app (if it had previously been working that is).
    Just install (be sure to NOT keep existing data when the installer prompts)
    Enter, username, password and network, and that should be it (no need to touch anything else).

Would there be anything else that might have changed your connection settings

• Advertisement

Would there be anything else that might have changed your connection settings

no not that i can think of. i did go on a bit of a bender sending bout 30 msgs off it when i first got it working but that about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

I just installed the MIDP 1 version on my Nokia 6100. Thought the phone might be too old but it works perfectly for O2.

Thanks a millions dal, app is genius.

Duffman wrote:
    I just installed the MIDP 1 version on my Nokia 6100. Thought the phone might be too old but it works perfectly for O2.

Thanks a millions dal, app is genius.

I'll be releasing a new midp 1.0 version during the week which will have all the features of AFT 1.2 (phonebook, recent texts, limitless message length, etc) Its much better than the version you have so check back during the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Thanks guys for such a cool App.

It is working almost 100% on my W810i - Just no access to my phonebook :(

Any chance that may change in the future?

Also I got lucky with Meteor and managed to get a CS rep who was able to turn on my ISP setting :D So only 1c per text.

Cal.

Cal wrote:

Also I got lucky with Meteor and managed to get a CS rep who was able to turn on my ISP setting :D So only 1c per text.

Cal.

Thats strange, according to this:
    http://developer.sonyericsson.com/entry.jspa?externalID=329&categoryID=9

the phonebook feature should work on w810.

(with the latest version of AFT (1.2) you can add names to the numbers so hopefully its less of an issue if there is no phonebook lookup. 1.2 is available from the main link)

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Cal wrote:

Cal.

I also have a w810i and have the phone book look up on mine. what settings have you set up for the 1c messages on this handset. I know my account is set up for isp as my sim works in the 6230i for 1c but when i try the 1c settings on w810i internet access shows up on mymeteor for 1c but the message does not send.

With regards to the phone's phonebook

Press the Middle button(Play&Stop Key) in the enter phone number box
    then select MORE
    then LOOK UP

That should sort you out

dal wrote:
    (with the latest version of AFT (1.2) you can add names to the numbers so hopefully its less of an issue if there is no phonebook lookup. 1.2 is available from the main link)

That is a lovely feature and does make up a bit for my lack of access to my phone book.

Has anyone else access to their phonebook on a W810i?

Cal.

Cal wrote:
    That is a lovely feature and does make up a bit for my lack of access to my phone book.

Has anyone else access to their phonebook on a W810i?

Cal.

scroll up two posts!

I see that. We are comparing settings via PM's at present.

Thanks Dal.

Cal.

Edit: Issue resolved. For others with the W810i this is the sequence. When you get to the choose number screen press the middle button and a white empty box appears over the word 'number' THEN press 'More' and the option to 'Look Up' is there.

Thanks again Leonard.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Cal wrote:

Cal.

Just a question about that. If that setting isn't enabled on your network is it possible that the app still works but the data costs a bit more?

I'm on O2 and as far as I know the open internet setting isn't enabled. Txts seem to cost 2c on average.

Advertisement