Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Duffman wrote:
    Just a question about that. If that setting isn't enabled on your network is it possible that the app still works but the data costs a bit more?

I'm on O2 and as far as I know the open internet setting isn't enabled. Txts seem to cost 2c on average.

You on o2 billpay or pay as you go?
    I am on payg and texts cost me about 0.25c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Duffman

Pay as you go.

Encryption seems to be on though, maybe the handshake uses a few extra bytes. Will try without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

Not sure if anyone noticed this before but if you use ISP setting on vodafone for sending then it costs less then a cent as der is no minimum charge and it is charged by time online (it seems)

I have a nokia and got this setting of the nokia website but it took a while before it started working. it wasn't working then it was. don't know why.

Duffman wrote:
    I just installed the MIDP 1 version on my Nokia 6100. Thought the phone might be too old but it works perfectly for O2.

Thanks a millions dal, app is genius.
    New midp 1.0 version up and running. Lots of nice new features (all the features of AFT 1.2).

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 muckalee

How do i load AFT settings to my phone im with meteor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

muckalee wrote:
    How do i load AFT settings to my phone im with meteor
    if you have gprs on your phone you just go to the address:
    http://killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar

there should be a "got to address" option in the web or services menu

Duffman wrote:
    Pay as you go.

Encryption seems to be on though, maybe the handshake uses a few extra bytes. Will try without it.

Yep, that was the problem. O2 enables connection security by default. Txts seem to cost 2c with it. Without security I'm sending 6-8 without any charges at all. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

****ing ace app.

works perfect on nokia6230 using link in first post.

about international texts, I sent one but it cost me 25c but I could send multiple for that 25c?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cal wrote:
    I see that. We are comparing settings via PM's at present.

Thanks Dal.

Cal.

Edit: Issue resolved. For others with the W810i this is the sequence. When you get to the choose number screen press the middle button and a white empty box appears over the word 'number' THEN press 'More' and the option to 'Look Up' is there.

Thanks again Leonard.
    This must have been about the 3rd post at the start of this thread too when I had the same problem :)
    I guess there be a disadvantage to a 26page long thread :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Duffman wrote:
    Yep, that was the problem. O2 enables connection security by default. Txts seem to cost 2c with it. Without security I'm sending 6-8 without any charges at all. :)

how do you disable security?

• Advertisement

yapyap wrote:
    how do you disable security?

On my Nokia phone it's in the WAP GPRS settings:

- Menu -> Services -> Settings -> Edit active service settings.

The option is simply "Connection Security" on or off.

Duffman wrote:
    On my Nokia phone it's in the WAP GPRS settings:

- Menu -> Services -> Settings -> Edit active service settings.

The option is simply "Connection Security" on or off.

lucky git - my texts cost 2c - and your option is not on my phone

kaimera wrote:
    ****ing ace app.

works perfect on nokia6230 using link in first post.

about international texts, I sent one but it cost me 25c but I could send multiple for that 25c?

Really? What network are you with? It should never, ever cost 25c (or anything near that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Meteor??? I thought they charged 25c per international text? - but they do not allow international texts to be sent from their website right?

Thirdfox wrote:
    Meteor??? I thought they charged 25c per international text? - but they do not allow international texts to be sent from their website right?

The only network that allows international webtexts is O2. Therefore, you can only send international texts using AFT if you are with O2.

dal wrote:
    Really? What network are you with? It should never, ever cost 25c (or anything near that).

o2 speakeasy.

I'll test again with v1.2

kaimera wrote:
    o2 speakeasy.

I'll test again with v1.2

Are you positive it cost 25c???

It doesn't matter whether you send to an international or domestic number, it will cost the same because the only cost is the gprs connection (which doesn't care who you are sending the message to).

For me international texts cost 0.25c (ie 100 times cheaper than a normal international text) on O2 speakeasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

As Dal says, you definetely can't be charged 25c for international text, as they cost exactly the same as national texts (the gprs charges).
    Only thing i can think of is perhaps you got your credit reduced all of a sudden for other charges previously. This hapened me before when browsing the web on my phone, took a while before my cred. dropped.

It could have been WebMonkey.

I checked my credit before I send it, then after and 25c was gone.

but I sent another intl text a few mins ago and no change to my credit. Just waiting on word back to see if it arrived.

kaimera wrote:
    It could have been WebMonkey.

I checked my credit before I send it, then after and 25c was gone.

but I sent another intl text a few mins ago and no change to my credit. Just waiting on word back to see if it arrived.

Yep, your credit won't actually change at all until you send about 4 texts (cos they cost around 0.25c per text). If you got the message back to say what your total webtexts remaining is (and this is one less than before), then the message definitely sent.

• Advertisement

Cool.

Ya, everything else works grand, all expected dialog comes up :)

kudos to you sir.

dal wrote:
    Yep, your credit won't actually change at all until you send about 4 texts (cos they cost around 0.25c per text). If you got the message back to say what your total webtexts remaining is (and this is one less than before), then the message definitely sent.

i can't figure out this 0.25c thing at all

i've tried on a number of phones and o2 always charge me 2c. Do you think I should ring up and complain?

yapyap wrote:
    i can't figure out this 0.25c thing at all

i've tried on a number of phones and o2 always charge me 2c. Do you think I should ring up and complain?

I'm sure I have asked this before YapYap, but are you pay as you go or bill pay?

dal wrote:
    I'm sure I have asked this before YapYap, but are you pay as you go or bill pay?

I'm talking speakeasy nightowl and earlybird - 2c. a text
    Maybe it's a handset thing. I've used Nokias 6230 and 6230i and Moto V3 and V620.

BTW with some speakeasy accounts when you look at call details should it say data volume - mine doesn't.

I've set up Meteor & Vf PAYG for mates and they're cheaper okay.

Did you try turning off encryption on those Nokias?

Duffman wrote:
    Did you try turning off encryption on those Nokias?

You have a 6100 and different menu to mine and I can't find a comparable setting on my phones. If anybody else knows please let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I fixed up vodafone so it will now return an error code instead of the ammount of messages left if it doesnt send properly

donutface wrote:
    I fixed up vodafone so it will now return an error code instead of the ammount of messages left if it doesnt send properly

"message sent
    you have error in HTTP operation ERROR
    messages left"

but the message aint sent

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

When I first put aft on my sony ericsson k750i it worked,then from after the day that vodafone refreshed my webtexts it didnt,when i try to send a message it says "message sent.you have ERROR COULDNT READ FROM SOCKET ERROR"and the message isnt actually sent and other times it just never comes up and stays on the bit with the ......................

• Advertisement

Can anybody confirm it works with the SE w810i ?

Advertisement