Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

</strong> Error should be gone now and if it isn't then I don't know that would be quite amazing :)

As with security - as ciaran says.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Right got that sorted but now im getting another error "unfortunately it failedmore than likely o2 down as usual, but i just sent a few message to myself from the o2 and its fine. Can anybody else here confirm that the program will work from a nokia 6600.

Thanks

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Right got that sorted but now im getting another error "unfortunately it failedmore than likely o2 down as usual, but i just sent a few message to myself from the o2 and its fine. Can anybody else here confirm that the program will work from a nokia 6600.

Thanks
    Did you use the correct ISP settings? O2 have a different access point for prepaid and billpay - pp.internet for prepaid and just internet for bill.

Karsini wrote:
    Did you use the correct ISP settings? O2 have a different access point for prepaid and billpay - pp.internet for prepaid and just internet for bill.

Oh ya sorry forgot to mention that, i got my settings off the nokia website, and updated my mms, gprs, and internet access point settings. Im guessin the interent access point one is the isp setting you were talking about and i set my browser to use this as its connection and it works ok. BTW im bill pay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Ring O2 Data Support on 1850601740 and ask them to activate internet or pp.internet on your account. It's a provision they need to add which isn't generally added by default to your account, especially on Speakeasy. It's free to add.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    Ring O2 Data Support on 1850601740 and ask them to activate internet or pp.internet on your account. It's a provision they need to add which isn't generally added by default to your account, especially on Speakeasy. It's free to add.

Thanks for the reply, tried ringing just there but they're closed till the morning, ill give them a shout then ill get back to you.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Thanks for the reply, tried ringing just there but they're closed till the morning, ill give them a shout then ill get back to you.

Thanks again
    Brian,
    I version of AFT was posted at around 5 today. This version didn't work and *might* have led to the error that you were seeing (basically the password was not being saved on the phone properly), although I think it should have worked at least the first time upi try to send a message. Anyway the old jar file is back up now and this is the one that works. You may already have it tho.

dal wrote:
    Brian,
    I version of AFT was posted at around 5 today. This version didn't work and *might* have led to the error that you were seeing (basically the password was not being saved on the phone properly), although I think it should have worked at least the first time upi try to send a message. Anyway the old jar file is back up now and this is the one that works. You may already have it tho.

dal your dead right that was the problem, just sent a few there and all workin ok. Thanks for such a handy program, im gona be using this all the time now.

And for your info, my connection manager recorded data downloaded as 723b and uploaded was 554b, for one message sent, using all 160 characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

dal wrote:
    Brian,
    is there a new version of the jar file with the strong tag taken away? or is it back to the old version again so no need to download if i downloaded the first version?

flodis79 wrote:
    is there a new version of the jar file with the strong tag taken away? or is it back to the old version again so no need to download if i downloaded the first version?
    The </strong> tag would have been generated by the server, should be no need to download a new version of the client.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote:
    The </strong> tag would have been generated by the server, should be no need to download a new version of the client.
    You are absolutely right, all the text on the confirmation page is a server response. This might be tightened up in the future to minimalise data transfer (eg. reponse codes), but it really doesn't make that difference.
    Brianb8802 wrote:
    And for your info, my connection manager recorded data downloaded as 723b and uploaded was 554b, for one message sent, using all 160 characters.
    I checked this out myself a few weeks ago when testing, but I am not really sure what this information tells us. You would assume, in your case that 2 messages would therefore cost 1c, but this was not my experience (i could send 4 or more before reaching 1c). There must be a certain part of the data downloaded that isn't included in the 1c/kb charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

So how ethically sound are you guys? :)
    I love your texting app - o2 could learn from you
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/
    but am i going to get spammed or anything?

egan007 wrote:
    So how ethically sound are you guys? :)
    I love your texting app - o2 could learn from you
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/
    but am i going to get spammed or anything?

As far as the client (j2me) side goes, you can decompile the jar file to see exactly what is in it and that the code is doing nothing untoward.

As far as the server side goes, WebMonkey is responsible for this and has assured me that no information is saved (I also have ftp access to the live code so I know for a fact that there is nothing being saved) and has previously made the source available (see link in first post).

You won't get spammed.

i'm using this app on a smartphone where i cannot get access to the phone book from within the app. thus i would like to have 10 or 15 numbers in the recent numbers list instead of only 5. would that be possible?

flodis79 wrote:
    i'm using this app on a smartphone where i cannot get access to the phone book from within the app. thus i would like to have 10 or 15 numbers in the recent numbers list instead of only 5. would that be possible?

I'll make it configurable in the next version of the app (shouldn't take me too long). A further enhancement might be the ability to assign names to the recent numbers list, hopefully I will get round to doing this soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Airwaves

Nice work Dal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

dal wrote:
    As far as the client (j2me) side goes, you can decompile the jar file to see exactly what is in it and that the code is doing nothing untoward.

As far as the server side goes, WebMonkey is responsible for this and has assured me that no information is saved (I also have ftp access to the live code so I know for a fact that there is nothing being saved) and has previously made the source available (see link in first post).

You won't get spammed.

Cheers Lads
    I hope you win the lotto

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

I've downloaded this to Moto V620, Nokia 6230 & Nokia 6230i

I'm putting in login details okay as on O2.ie

Enter recipient number as 003538xxxxxxxx, 08xxxxxxxx, 3538xxxxxx

Message says sending, but app then freezes

On webmonkey site, can send no problem

Can access the web on all phones on Moto through speakeasy, and on Nokias through Voda billpay

So what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

ring up o2 and ask them to send you the internet access point, not the GPRS one. Thatll sort it out

donutface wrote:
    ring up o2 and ask them to send you the internet access point, not the GPRS one. Thatll sort it out

o2 hadn't a clue what i was talking about so i got these sent to my phone

nokia website>advanced settings>internet settings>o2 value prepay settings
    nokia website>advanced settings>internet settings>vodafone isp gprs settings - but only on post pay and I think there's a minimum charge per session!

with nokia 6230i go to Web>settings>configuration settings>Account>value prepay as the default settings sent from Nokia are for WAP GPRS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Make sure they the irish ones too and not o2 elsewhere in europe. I sent the settings from the O2.ie site and they worked ok as long as i removed all the other data accounts in there like WAP GSM and all to stop confusion.

has anyone been successful with a moto?

Web Access>>Web sessions>>New

Name: O2 gprs isp
    Homepage: www.o2.ie
    ? Service Type 1: WAP / WAP Connectionless/WAP Secure / WAP Secure Connectionless /HTTP / HTTP Secure
    ? Gateway IP 1:
    ? Port1:
    ? Domain 1:
    ? Service Type 2:
    Gateway IP 2:
    Port 2:
    Domain 2:
    DNS 1: 062.040.032.033
    DNS 2: 060.040.032.034
    Timeout:
    CSD No.1:
    Username 1:
    Password 1:
    Speed bps 1:
    Line Type 1: Modem / ISDN
    CSID No 2
    Username 2:
    Password 2:
    Speed bps 2:
    Line Type 2:
    GPRS APN: pp.internet
    Username:
    Password:

Anyone help?

Only set the following options:

Service Type 1: HTTP
    GPRS APN: pp.internet
    Username: user
    Password: user123

Leave everything else as is.

Cheers Karsini

For other novices, attached is how the working settings look

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

I just tried to download this (with whatever the standard WAP setting was on my phone) from your web server, it told me app not supported.
    My phone is a 6610i which can use java applications. Would this one be too advanced for it or something? Any ideas?
    Maybe do I need to use GPRS to download the app too?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

doesnt work on my xda mini s either,just says invailid application,gprsms seems to work though?any ideas?

@mods what happened to previous post,its gone,its happened to other threads aswell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I posted earlier about an issue with the phonebook on the w810i. You have to goto more>lookup to browse your phonebook, rather than just lookup. Is this possible to change?

Also, I'd mark it down as very important to hide the password once entered into the app - you know yourself if someone borrows your phone or whatever ... you dont' wanna be showing off such info.

As for anyone on O2 having issues getting this to work. Ring O2 Data support on 1850601740. Ask them to activate the "internet APN" on your account. This works on Speakeasy too. Once you're through to data support they should know exactly what you mean! I've done it on loads of my SIMs. As for your phone then - make sure you've got the app set to connect through that APN.

Great app though, makes great use of that Donals code. I must hurry up work on the phonebook for my desktop version!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

working grand for me, changed my java setting to use wap gprs that i send from the SE website, on o2 bill pay, using a k750i flashed with w800i software,

looking forward to checking "my account" (when its back up!) to c what its costing me

ciaranfo wrote:
    I posted earlier about an issue with the phonebook on the w810i. You have to goto more>lookup to browse your phonebook, rather than just lookup. Is this possible to change?

Also, I'd mark it down as very important to hide the password once entered into the app - you know yourself if someone borrows your phone or whatever ... you dont' wanna be showing off such info.

I will look into the first one ciaran, its quite strange the way that java apps behave a little differently on different phones. I get the lookup option on my k750i on the softkey as soon as I go to enter a number.

As for the second point, this is definitely a priority for the next version of the app, which I will be releasing in the next couple of days. This version, thanks to some fine work from donutface, will also support meteor.
    damo86 wrote:
    doesnt work on my xda mini s either,just says invailid application,gprsms seems to work though?any ideas?
    @mods what happened to previous post,its gone,its happened to other threads aswell?

I will look into the differences. If gprsms works on your phone then I can get AFT to work on your phone. Promise.

• Advertisement

Dal, would it be possible to implement the feature of sending long texts? Longer than 160 characters that is.

Advertisement