Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 847 ✭✭✭mickger

yapyap wrote:
    Cheers Karsini

For other novices, attached is how the working settings look

Can anyone confirm that these are the exact settings that work? I tried them and it would not work and i got pp.internet enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yapyap wrote:
    no o2 is the only decent network
    avoid Vf billpay as the GPRS charge is minimum 19.36c / session unless you're on a data plan. If you want to stay with Meteor and send international texts shown as originating from your Meteor number google for hooya.com or mobisms.com

Ok but if you have a data plan which I plan to take up can you send to international numbers? and can you use the internet web texts if logged on to international numbers? or just the AFT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok but if you have a data plan which I plan to take up can you send to international numbers? and can you use the internet web texts if logged on to international numbers? or just the AFT?

Customers of Meteor, O2 and Vodafone have the facility tho send free webtexts. Of the three, O2 only allow free webtexts to international destinations. Therefore Meteor and Vodafone customers send texts to Irish mobiles using their network webtext allowance through AFT and need a separate application such as mobiSMS or hooya for sending to foreign mobiles. O2 customers only need AFT to send to all destinations both domestic and foreign.
    If you are abroad you can use AFT on all networks to send texts home. This is achieved by the data roaming facility. But again here Vodafone customers are at a disadvantage because of the high data roaming rates.
    O2 is the best network to be on to use AFT as it has the facility to send international texts, domestic data charges are among the lowest and data roaming charges are by far the cheapest of the three.
    Dal/Donut willing it would be possible to incorporate international texts on AFT for all network users. The user would use a single AFT username and password. The AFT server would recognise this username and password and either send domestic texts by the users network or international (on Meteor /Vf) texts via a third party like hooya or mobiSMS provided that the user has signed up with those third parties and given the login details to the server. This feature would also be useful as a backup if the network website was down

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 yman

Hello, I am the person who is responsible for ensuring that the aft service stays up - I run the dedicated server which hosts aft and I coded the msn bot which allows you to send messages (add contact, sms@donutsoft.net) .... (if the server is down, it's normally my fault :( )
    Since donut is currently away on holiday, I will respond to the previous question, regarding international texts.

It would definitely be possible; the pluggable architecture of the AFT server codebase would make it a relatively trivial task of holding additional credentials (the login details for the third parties) and hosting a provider to screenscrap the website. Since this service would be offered through aft user, no update to the mobile client, would be required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 330 ✭✭nazoil

yman wrote:
    Hello, I am the person who is responsible for ensuring that the aft service stays up

Welcome aboard man and looking forward to getting the international texts dimension and much more developed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Just a quick note to say I have tried it on:

E61 Nokia on O2 bill - works great, both with O2 ISP and using Wifi
    W600/550 on Vodafone prepay - works great
    K800i on O2 Speakeasy - works great also

QUESTION.....

I have sent messages to my friend in the US without any problem from the Nokia E61 this afternoon and he receives them fine, but he cannot reply to them as the prefix is 00353. It would work ok if the prefix came in as +353 but not with 00353 from the US.

We are just wondering is the prefix sent by the network or the software? I assume its the software, as when I send him a regular text, he can reply fine.

By the way, I read 16 pages of this rather than post the question, but still hadnt found it and could not face reading the other 13 pages!!! :'( SO, I'm sorry if this has been asked already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The prefix (usually 3538xxxxxxxx and NOT 003538xxxxxxxx I thought?) is set by the network. No way to change this.

Just chatting to him here on ICQ and double checked

xxxx (07:07 PM) :
    lemme check
    xxxx (07:08 PM) :
    Normally its +353868xxxxxx
    the ones from today show 00353868xxxxxx
    but in the US we use 011 instead of 00
    so 00 doesnt work for me replying

Add another test to that!!
    Just tried a Blackberry 7100v unlocked with O2 sim and works perfect!!! :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

whisht wrote:
    Just chatting to him here on ICQ and double checked

xxxx (07:07 PM) :
    lemme check
    Normally its +353868xxxxxx
    the ones from today show 00353868xxxxxx
    but in the US we use 011 instead of 00
    so 00 doesnt work for me replying

As Ciaranfo said, its not AFT, you would get the same effect if you were to use the o2 website to send a message.

Does the recipient not have your number saved in his phone as +353? Does the message from you (using 00353) then appear to him as a completely new number?

Thanks for the feed back on the compatible phones btw.

• Advertisement

Hi
    He has my number already saved with +353 and yes, to answer your next question, the other message appears to him as a new number. Its no big deal. I was just telling him about it and he just said to give you that feedback, but if its the O2 site thats sending it that way, then theres not a lot can be done.

Brilliant app by the way!
    Will try it out for a while and give any feedback I can

By the way, if anybody cannot get it to work on Blackberry with O2 sim, you need version 3.8 firmware or higher. Go to advanced options and TCP

APN: open.internet
    Username: gprs
    Password: gprs

Thats it ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

does this work with vodafone ready to go ?
    if so how do i set it up ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Green123.. yes, it does. But give the thread a flick through for your phone and you'll see connection settings somewhere.. it's probably been answered numerous times.

Quick bump for my problem on the other AFT thread.. can't see why it won't work! :(

Any suggestions?
    Seems to work fine from sending a text on KillarneyOnline but not my phone.

Odd.. as i haven't changed my settings or anything.

Will try re-sending the settings to my phone and see if that makes a difference.

EDIT: Nope.. re-sent settings and didn't work. Very odd as it's been working for the last few weeks and hasn't went near the settings. The GPRS (G) flashes for a moment and then disconnects and says "there was a problem sending your message". The connection settings i'm using are sent from the Nokia website which worked without problem until this.. settings are as follows:

Connection name: Value Prepay
    Data bearer: GPRS
    Access point name: pp.internet
    Username: O2
    Prompt password: No
    Password: ****
    Authentication: Normal
    Homepage: www.o2.ie

Oh.. and i have no other settings on my phone (WAP, MMS etc) as i can remember having a problem with numerous settings on my phone.

Worked fine until some point last week.. haven't changed any connection settings or anything. And re-sent the same settings to my phone from the Nokia website as above.. still no joy!

:(

@Squill

Taken from the sticky thread with settings for Prepay O2

Connection name: O2 gprs isp
    Username: gprs (leaving blank can also work with most devices)
    Password: gprs (leaving blank can also work with most devices)
    Prompt password: no
    Password: this will show as ****, leave as is
    Authentication: normal
    Gateway IP: Leave as is (0.0.0.0)

That should work. Edit what you have there already in your settings to these and post back with results

More handset feedback
    Tried on Treo 650 Unlocked
    Vodafone Ready To Go sim
    Works perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

whisht wrote:

Connection name: O2 gprs isp
    Username: gprs (leaving blank can also work with most devices)
    Password: gprs (leaving blank can also work with most devices)
    Prompt password: no
    Password: this will show as ****, leave as is
    Authentication: normal
    Gateway IP: Leave as is (0.0.0.0)

That should work. Edit what you have there already in your settings to these and post back with results

[[/B]

Im not too clever when it comes to phones. I have the application downloaded, but it keeps saying, there was a problem sending your message.

Just wondering where do i find the menu to put in the settings above??? I've a nokia 3220.

Ta

whisht: cheers for the settings but nope.. didn't work - same problem! :(

Will try and determine if a connection related issue or a problem with AFT.

Quarrybaby wrote:
    Im not too clever when it comes to phones. I have the application downloaded, but it keeps saying, there was a problem sending your message.

Just wondering where do i find the menu to put in the settings above??? I've a nokia 3220.

Ta

Search and you will find a Nokia Configuration thread. A 3220 has been covered already AFAIK
    Basically the first thing you do is remove all existing configuration settings
    You instal fresh standard settings from the Nokia website
    Then you scroll to a "preferred access point setting"
    The settings from Nokia may include a selectable access point and you need to press select on this to activate as the preferred access point. If there is none, you need to manually configure one using the settings in a "settings" sticky above. Basically the settings you will be entering are
    1 Access point eg "isp.vodafone.ie" for Vf (without the quotes of course)
    2 Data Bearer = gprs / packet data (not GSM)
    3 Username = see sticky or posted throughout this thread
    4 Password =ditto

To put things in perspective
    MMS is a phone application that uses MMS settings including an MMS access point - from the Nokia website
    Your phone's web browser is an application that uses web browser settings including a web browser access point - from the Nokia website. This can either be a wap access point or gprs access point. That's why you will find a choice of "Accounts" in the web configuration
    Likewise your phones email client is simply another application requiring an access point
    So AFT is a java application that requires access to the internet through the preferred access point and this is what you need to configure. Because AFT is still at the early stages of development, it is recommended to instal and test an alternative web browser called "Opera Mini" on your phone to ensure that the connection issue has been sorted first. Opera Mini uses thee same preferred access point as AFT and there is a wizard within the Opera Help Menu that determines if a connection is present. Therefore once you have established that the preferred access point is working any problems with sending messages are narrowed down to settings within AFT
    To get help look through this thread, another thread AFT1.2 and the previously mentioned Nokia Configuaration thread. Also do a google search for installing java applications that require access to the internet for your specific phone model. Any specific issues, try here and someone may be able to help

Squill wrote:
    whisht: cheers for the settings but nope.. didn't work - same problem! :(

Will try and determine if a connection related issue or a problem with AFT.
    You may need to scroll to your preferred access point and press select to activate it. This setting is the crucial one for AFT to work

Thanks very much yapyap, that was a big help.

I got the settings off the nokia website and followed the instructions in the settings sticky.

However, i must be still doing something wrong as my messages still wont send.

When i go into configuration settings, 'preferred access points' is still empty, i cant seem to figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a mill.

Quarrybaby wrote:
    Thanks very much yapyap, that was a big help.

I got the settings off the nokia website and followed the instructions in the settings sticky.

However, i must be still doing something wrong as my messages still wont send.

When i go into configuration settings, 'preferred access points' is still empty, i cant seem to figure it out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks a mill.

Then you need to scroll to Menu > Settings > Configuration > Personal Configuration settings
    Create a new access point using sticky settings

Then activate that

Yeah i tried that. Just been going through some of the other posts, maybe i have to ring o2 and get them to activate pp.internet on my account. I'll try that 2moro.

• Advertisement

Nope.. can't browse with Opera either.

Can someone out there just clarify if my settings above are correct? As i fail to see how my connection settings aren't working now when they work a week or two back.

Access point is pp.internet

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

For any of the lads who have this running on a k750i is there any way of adding this to the shortcuts menu? Just got the phone and havent figured out how to do it yet.

Great program dal, using it for a while now. :D

Squill wrote:
    Nope.. can't browse with Opera either.

Can someone out there just clarify if my settings above are correct? As i fail to see how my connection settings aren't working now when they work a week or two back.

Access point is pp.internet

Your original error was "There was a problem sending......."
    Dal might confirm this but that error message occurs only if you try sending through Vf or Meteor. So when you open AFT and go to the settings menu

Have you the correct 08XXXXXXXX username?
    Have you the correct password making sure that you are using Abc, abc, ABC or 123 as appropriate?
    Are you sure you have set the operator to O2? You should have been getting the error message from the web monkey site saying "Unfortunately it failed.....O2 down as usual" if the AFT setting was configured correctly
    In the FORCE GET menu option you may need to mark / unmark

In the meantime you have altered configuration settings on your device for internet access. So do whatever you did before to get the device connected.

After getting settings OTA from Nokia, when you scroll to Tools > Settings > Connection are there access points there? "Value Prepay" is the one that should be used by AFT and Opera Mini
    If you need to create a new one press Options > New Access Point and "use Default settings"

Set Connection / access point name to "Value Prepay"
    access point = pp.internet
    username = try leaving blank or try o2 or try gprs
    password = try leaving blank or try gprs
    Set authentication to normal

Is there some menu on your phone Tools > Application Manager?
    In the Manager main view can you scroll to AFT and select Options > Suite Settings and change network access settings?
    Can you set AFT to use the access point you've just configured?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭mcguyver

Great app guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

skywalker wrote:
    For any of the lads who have this running on a k750i is there any way of adding this to the shortcuts menu? Just got the phone and havent figured out how to do it yet.

Great program dal, using it for a while now. :D

Put the AFT app. in the games folder and then shortcut the games folder. It's not perfect but if you rename it to aaa it will be the first in the list.

Cal.

yapyap wrote:
    Have you the correct 08XXXXXXXX username?
    Yes..
    yapyap wrote:
    Have you the correct password making sure that you are using Abc, abc, ABC or 123 as appropriate?
    Yes..
    yapyap wrote:
    Are you sure you have set the operator to O2? You should have been getting the error message from the web monkey site saying "Unfortunately it failed.....O2 down as usual" if the AFT setting was configured correctly
    Yes.. it's set to O2 but am getting the 'There was a problem sending your message' error.
    yapyap wrote:
    In the FORCE GET menu option you may need to mark / unmark
    Tried sending with option marked and then unmarked.. doesn't send!
    yapyap wrote:
    In the meantime you have altered configuration settings on your device for internet access. So do whatever you did before to get the device connected.
    Haven't altered them and AFT was working fine until all of a sudden, it just stopped. Tried re-sending the same settings from the Nokia website which i recieved and used.. but no luck!
    yapyap wrote:
    After getting settings OTA from Nokia, when you scroll to Tools > Settings > Connection are there access points there? "Value Prepay" is the one that should be used by AFT and Opera Mini
    If you need to create a new one press Options > New Access Point and "use Default settings"

Set Connection / access point name to "Value Prepay"
    access point = pp.internet
    username = try leaving blank or try o2 or try gprs
    password = try leaving blank or try gprs
    Set authentication to normal
    The connection settings from Nokia are the 'Value Prepay'.. with same settings as above. Tried username as both o2 and gprs. Access point is pp.internet.
    yapyap wrote:
    Is there some menu on your phone Tools > Application Manager?
    In the Manager main view can you scroll to AFT and select Options > Suite Settings and change network access settings?
    Can you set AFT to use the access point you've just configured?
    There's a Tools --> Manager which lists the three applications on my phone (Fexplorer, AFT and Opera Mini). The only network setting is under each application.. you can set whether it's allowed network access which all my applications is.

There's no option to set AFT to use said access point.. but it's the only connection on my phone and it does temporarily connect to GPRS so i presume it's connecting with that.

Am pulling my hair out!

Squill

1 Okay, you can text from Multi text?

2 Can you try in a mates phone with your SIM to eliminate the possibility that your SIM card / O2 gremlins are not acting up?

3 Does it just say "there was a problem......sending your message". Full message?

4 Can you scroll to Value Prepay and press Activate? Try again

5 Have you manually entered the Value Prepay or is it the one from Nokia?
    -If the one from Nokia, manually configure a new one and call it "Squill" - instead of Value Prepay so we can idebtify it later. Scroll to Squill and press Activate

6 When you are manually configuring - Tools > Settings > Connection > Options > New Access Point, instead of default settings what are the options?

yapyap wrote:
    1 Okay, you can text from Multi text?
    Yes,, can text fine with MultiText.
    yapyap wrote:
    ]2 Can you try in a mates phone with your SIM to eliminate the possibility that your SIM card / O2 gremlins are not acting up?
    Will try this in a few hours when i'm a spare phone.
    yapyap wrote:
    3 Does it just say "there was a problem......sending your message". Full message?
    Just says 'There was a problem sending your message'.. nothing else!
    yapyap wrote:
    4 Can you scroll to Value Prepay and press Activate? Try again
    There is no Activate option on my phone (Nokia 6680).
    yapyap wrote:
    5 Have you manually entered the Value Prepay or is it the one from Nokia?
    -If the one from Nokia, manually configure a new one and call it "Squill" - instead of Value Prepay so we can idebtify it later. Scroll to Squill and press Activate
    I tried both entering them myself and the ones from Nokia.. both fail!
    yapyap wrote:
    6 When you are manually configuring - Tools > Settings > Connection > Options > New Access Point, instead of default settings what are the options?
    My settings are 'New Access Point' --> Use default settings' or 'Use existing settings'

Cal wrote:
    Put the AFT app. in the games folder and then shortcut the games folder. It's not perfect but if you rename it to aaa it will be the first in the list.

Cal.
    Yep. One of the reasons I called it AFT was so that it would appear at the top of the list alphabetically.
    On my k750i, from the main screen I just press left and then enter and thats it.

• Advertisement

yapyap wrote:
    Your original error was "There was a problem sending......."
    Dal might confirm this but that error message occurs only if you try sending through Vf or Meteor.
    This error message will occur if the phone is not configured properly for internet.
    Did squill not say that he couldn't browse with opera? This definitely sounds like a connection configuration issue on the phone then.

Advertisement