Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

Grrrrrrrrrr. It's so frustrating, i've tried everything yet when i go into preferred access points it's STILL EMPTY!!!!! :mad: :confused: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,939 ✭✭✭✭Basq

dal wrote:
    Did squill not say that he couldn't browse with opera? This definitely sounds like a connection configuration issue on the phone then.
    It's definitely a connection issue alright.. though i can't figure out why it stopped working all of a sudden.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

27th October
    Squill wrote:
    Apologies yapyap.

Nokia 6670 on O2 Speakeasy
    ... well, i'll try installing AFT again later when i get home but my connection settings haven't changed.. it just stopped working all of a sudden.

And have gave details of error above.

EDIT: Had a copy of the AFT jar on my phone so uninstalled and re-installed it.. same problem. Connection settings are stated above but since it connects to GPRS for a moment, then disconnects and says "There was a problem sending your message" - i would imagine it's connection related but connection settings above have worked for me up until recently without problem! :confused:

Today
    Squill wrote:
    There is no Activate option on my phone (Nokia 6680).

'

In light of the above, I was working on the basis of wrong device

If the phone suddenly stopped, again I'd check out that the SIM works on another device and I'd check with another SIM on your device.
    On your device list the access point types you can create yourself

Sorry yapyap.. i mean 6670!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Ok. Seems a bit of an obvious one, but I assume you have credit on your sim card?

• Advertisement

whisht wrote:
    Ok. Seems a bit of an obvious one, but I assume you have credit on your sim card?
    Well... what do you know.. i was sure i bought a €10 the other day!

... just kidding! :D Yes, i've credit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

dal wrote:
    This error message will occur if the phone is not configured properly for internet.
    Did squill not say that he couldn't browse with opera? This definitely sounds like a connection configuration issue on the phone then.

A connection problem should give the error message "subscribe to data packet first". Is it not the case that the error message Squill is getting is a response from the donut / webmonkey server?

Hey Squill
    Did you try connecting to internet with phone browser?
    Clear the cache on your phone and are you getting same error message?
    Are you being charged each time you try?
    OTA settings are for connection by either WAP or the isp. There must be somewhere on your phone that you have the option to select which one as the default setting
    If I could connect through the phone web browser, I would do a complete clean reinstal of AFT with a new download. Maybe you successfully installed from memory before, but do you not need the jad file in the same folder for that to work successfully?
    If you can do without the phone for a couple of days send me the phone without the SIM but with enough stamps for return registered postage and I'll have a look at it. Or just bite the bullet and bring it to Nokia Service Centre. If it's within warranty they'll even flash the latest version firmare onto it. Is it an original O2 phone or did you pick it up somewhere else?
    You say you only have internet settings on the phone. So are you saying you don't have MMS - well that can't be right
    Curious

This may be of interest - similar to Opera, but more site info. You could even try the free 45 day demo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

yapyap wrote:
    A connection problem should give the error message "subscribe to data packet first". Is it not the case that the error message Squill is getting is a response from the donut / webmonkey server?
    The error message described by Squill can also appear if there were connection problems. This error message is not returned from the server.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cal wrote:
    Put the AFT app. in the games folder and then shortcut the games folder. It's not perfect but if you rename it to aaa it will be the first in the list.

Cal.

How do I rename it? its not in the "more" options, also is there any way to just allow the app access the net when it wants so I dont have to click allow every time after sending a text? sorry for being a pain just tryin to get it setup as easily as possible.

dal wrote:
    Yep. One of the reasons I called it AFT was so that it would appear at the top of the list alphabetically.
    On my k750i, from the main screen I just press left and then enter and thats it.

Ahhhhh. I was talking about the shortcut key, id forgot you can assign shortcuts to the joystick. Can you tell me how Id set it up to do it that way dal?

skywalker wrote:
    How do I rename it? its not in the "more" options, also is there any way to just allow the app access the net when it wants so I dont have to click allow every time after sending a text? sorry for being a pain just tryin to get it setup as easily as possible.
    Ahhhhh. I was talking about the shortcut key, id forgot you can assign shortcuts to the joystick. Can you tell me how Id set it up to do it that way dal?
    Settings, General, shortcuts, Navig, key right. Make this point to the games folder. Hopefully you don't have any games on the list higher than AFT.

Unfortunately there is no easy way to get the application NOT to ask you each time if you wanna use an internet connection. I believe I would have to get my application certified (by like versign or someone) and this costs money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Cheers dal. Deleted that stupid airplane game as that was ahead of it alphabetically. Much easier now.

Just wanted to ask about the meteor isp thing aswell dal. I rang up twice to get it enabled over the weekend, and have them send me the settings. Settings never arrived. I created my own connection using the settings in the sticky. Texts are still costing 2c so I presume its not setup properly yet, or is there a possibility it will still be 2c with it enabled.

Just tried again with meteor support. 3 different agents basically told me the same thing. They dont have an option to send anything other than mms or wap setttings. Can someone who's successfully done this tell me exactly how to ask for it? or is it just completely hit an miss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

To rename the application you would have to change the file name on your PC before sending it to your phone.

As for getting meteor to send texts for less than 2c. It seems impossible from the K750i & W810i. AFAIK 2c is as low as it can be done.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This has probably been asked before. But the search function dont work too well
    on boards.ie

Does the AFT work with meteor? I know it directs to a O2 text service but is there
    some AFT type program that works with meteor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

This has probably been asked before. But the search function dont work too well
    on boards.ie

Does the AFT work with meteor? I know it directs to a O2 text service but is there
    some AFT type program that works with meteor?
    yes it works with meteor. you select your network when you install it

i'm just back from prague and i'm happy to report it worked over there and it was the same price. i went with €10 credit and came back with €9.52 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

Fairplay for a fantastic app. This is the first good reason I've seen to have Java on your mobile. Well done to all involved. Superb idea to start with and well done on all the updates etc.

Just to add to the list, it's working perfectly for me on a Samsung SGH-ZV10 on Vodafone prepay. No access to phonebook, but AFT contacts are grand. I tried all methods to get it onto the phone, in the end using the aft.jad download was the only way.

As mentioned previously, it's costing 2c per text due to minimum session on voda. (using isp.vodafone.ie)

I've read through the entire thread now and it hasn't been mentioned in a while, but there was talk of changing the app to keep the connection open after sending the first text. It was said that this would mean that a session involving a few texts in a row without exiting AFT would still only result in Vf customers getting one 2c charge. Any chance that this was included in v1.2 but omitted from release notes or has anyone been looking into this? I've added it to the wiki's requested features list.

Thanks again and keep up the good work.

All I need now are Almost Free Calls ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Hey duffmagic I'm using the same phone as you (Samsung ZV10 on Vodafone).
    I don't seem to have the ability to key in the forward slash '/ ' to access this great website on my phone. It's supposed to be located in-between the ' ? ' symbol and the ' ! ' symbol but I haven't got it there. Am I missing some step or is the phone just missing the ' / ' charachter?

Great app guys, fair play to ya!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Great app. Well done, developer.

Now and again, I get '-000000xxxx' messages left' or something like that. That's probably more down to Vodafone though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭duffmagic

blue5 wrote:
    Am I missing some step or is the phone just missing the ' / ' charachter?

Hey blue5,
    In "Enter URL", just hold the hash key for 2secs and a "Symbols" dialog pops up. '/' is in the list if you scroll down. Or if you're as lazy as me, you'd just webtext all your urls to the phone. You can save them directly from a text.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

This works on the Nokia E61 Vodafone. Much to my pleasure it lets me choose
    the wireless internet as an access point so I get proper free text. :)

Any chance this can be installed twice? Maybe rename the name of the app?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Wit-a-y

Hi - does anyone know if you can get these free texts on a Nokia 6610i. When I press download it says application not supported?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

you try the midp1 version?:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar i think it is or the .jad one is another one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

hi there. tried searching,nothing found. any ideas how i can get this working on an xda neo (prophet - spv m600) ? i dont know where to get meteor gprs settings and from then on where to put and how to use?any help please? (im on pay as u go btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

Hi I just installed your app.. doesn’t seem to be working. I keep getting an error saying.

I’m on vodafone and my account works fine via the web. On setup I selected the vodafone network during setup. I get an error saying "There was a problem sending your message. Invalid account".

Just to confirm .. will this work with vodafone? Or have i got a bit mixed up

Cr8or wrote:
    Hi I just installed your app.. doesn’t seem to be working. I keep getting an error saying.

I’m on vodafone and my account works fine via the web. On setup I selected the vodafone network during setup. I get an error saying "There was a problem sending your message. Invalid account".

Just to confirm .. will this work with vodafone? Or have i got a bit mixed up

Sounds like your web connection details are ok. Are you sure that you have the correct username (just your number) and password and have selected "vodafone" as your operator? Sounds obvious I know but as I say, it doesn't sounds like there is anything wrong with your internet connection is you are getting the "Invalid account" error message.

bit strange it just started working .. anyone got any ideas what the data prices are like for vodafone per msg? .. i know somone said its about 1c .. Im on billpay so it wont show up online in my account for another 3 days or so

It looks like about .006 c or maybe its 6c ..

Could you guys add in an extra option in settings for the next version.. maybe to allow somone to send the message via a script on their own server? Wouldnt really be too much work would it?

It may also make the app a bit more open regarding privacy concerns.. Servers do log and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭blue5

Thanks duffmagic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭digitally-yours

using it with
    sony ericsson k800i
    on bill pay
    working absolutely fine

thanks a million for such a great software

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

This looks like a great app. Has anyone got it to work properly on a Motorola L6 on Meteor?

I've rang customer service and enabled ISP. The app runs & accepts the text, accepts phone number, etc. but doesn't connect to send it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I'm using a sony ericsson 810i bill pay with Meteor. I downloaded the jar file online but the app does not work for me.
    When the message is ready, I enter a number to send to then it says "There was a problem sending your message"
    Any ideas on how I could trouble shoot this?

Advertisement