Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

bigslick wrote:
    hey guys, phoned vodafone customer care and they said something about a connector card and a cd which the stuff i need is on. any ideas? cos aint very good at phone settings/connectivity. cheers

What phone do you have? It is sometimes best to go to either vodafones website or the manufacturers website and get the settings sent directly to your phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭bigslick

i have a motorola SLVR L7. ill try the vodafone site and see if i can find settings.

tried to find settings but to no avail. anyone able to help in any way. id be very grateful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i tried to put aft on a nokia 6131 today and it wouldn't work for some reason. i can load up google etc so the GPRS is set up properly. when i put his sim in my phone it worked so he's all set up at meteor's end. there is some unknown problem with the 6131. anyone have any experience with this?

it just keep saying "there was a problem sending your message" and it says it immediately after i allow network access so i doubt its trying to access the website and failing because it would take longer.

its meteor billl btw

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

im not 100% but im pretty sure i set up AFT for a friend on a nokia 6101. We never bothered to activate the ISP access point so shes getting the 2c rate on meteor. Cant remember doing anything special to allow it internet access. You sure the username/password is right? Try setting the phone up to use Vodafone (username/pw doesnt matter) and text HELLO to 123

If you get -5, communication between your phone and the aft gateway is working

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:
    im not 100% but im pretty sure i set up AFT for a friend on a nokia 6101. We never bothered to activate the ISP access point so shes getting the 2c rate on meteor. Cant remember doing anything special to allow it internet access. You sure the username/password is right? Try setting the phone up to use Vodafone (username/pw doesnt matter) and text HELLO to 123

If you get -5, communication between your phone and the aft gateway is working
    i will try that when i get access to the phone again. i tried my user/pass and his so thats not the problem and as i said it fails as soon as i allow network access so i don't think the problem's with logging in

bigslick wrote:
    tried to find settings but to no avail. anyone able to help in any way. id be very grateful

Did you go to the manufacturers site?

www.hellomoto.com

i will try that when i get access to the phone again. i tried my user/pass and his so thats not the problem and as i said it fails as soon as i allow network access so i don't think the problem's with logging in

I remember seeing on a different nokia that there is general internet settings however this was ages back, and allowing J2ME programs access to the internet.

@dal- yeah i went to that site and did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

bigslick wrote:
    @dal- yeah i went to that site and did a search but couldn't find anything on it.

Are you serious????

From that link I gave you...
    Choose country --> Ireland

Just below the top of the page it says "Operator Settings
    Set up your phone to use MMS & WAP in just a few easy steps" (you can't miss it).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭caster

Dal,

Can you tell me where you store the Recent Messages? Is there anyway that these can be written to a text file somewhere on the phone?

The reason this would be handy for me is that, when the messages fail to send (as they regularly do on O2 as we all know), i could open up this file, copy & past the message contents in to a standard text message and send....

If there's any way that a setting could be added to allow the options of Recent Messages being stored in a text file, this could would be very handy! I'm working off a smartphone (nokia n93) btw

Thx
    C

@dal- yeah did that but they only have settings for o2 and im on vodafone.

bigslick wrote:
    @dal- yeah did that but they only have settings for o2 and im on vodafone.
    wap

caster wrote:
    Dal,

Can you tell me where you store the Recent Messages? Is there anyway that these can be written to a text file somewhere on the phone?

The reason this would be handy for me is that, when the messages fail to send (as they regularly do on O2 as we all know), i could open up this file, copy & past the message contents in to a standard text message and send....

If there's any way that a setting could be added to allow the options of Recent Messages being stored in a text file, this could would be very handy! I'm working off a smartphone (nokia n93) btw

Thx
    C

Download the new version of AFT (the one with the sending graphic), its more reliable for sending with o2
    Also J2ME puts the program into a sandbox so no its not possible to have it in a seperate text file

caster wrote:

I know, it can be a bit of a pain if the message fails and you want to send it urgently.
    Unfortunately, there is no way for the phone to access the java record store (database where all the messages are kept) and there is no workaround for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭dango

Once in a while i get an error saying "packet data could not send" or something to that effect. It's usually lateish at night. On meteor. Just giving some feedback!

i've tried to put aft on two meteor bill pay k750s and on both of them it just keeps saying "sending message" for ages and then fails. has anyone else had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

i've tried to put aft on two meteor bill pay k750s and on both of them it just keeps saying "sending message" for ages and then fails. has anyone else had this problem?

Easiest work around is to go to the settings download section of the SE site using your phone. Have it send the network settings to your phone. This worked a couple of times for me.

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Link seems to be down?

Will this work on an N73?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

o2 been acting up for the past few days for anybody else?

"Message sending failed. More than likey o2 down as usual"

is the error message from AFT.

I thought I had gotten myself locked outta my account after being told to change my pw on the o2 site and forgetting to do it on AFT but the CC rep said everything was fine tonight.

Changed the pw on AFT to new o2 one and still same error.

Running aft v1.2 on w810i.

Is there a newer version on killarneyonline.eu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I have been finding it very hard to even log into o2.ie lately. They seem to be having issues AGAIN

Edit: Got in and what do you know a message about downtime. They will be doing "essential maintenance" Saturday 17th at 7.40pm to Sunday afternoon. They picked the right night to do it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭colm-ccfc84

I have been getting the 'o2 is down as usual message' all this week. Any ideas on what is up with o2?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi,

I gather o2 are having problems again with their website.
    Haven't been able to send via AFT since Friday.
    Tried to send from o2 Website this morning and worked fine, must be blocking AFT again.
    I have ordered a vodafone SIM card which will give me a vodafone number to use for webtexts whilst staying on o2 Network.
    I was wondering if anyone else had done this? More than 1 network account.
    It would be perfect if AFT worked like MultiText, user could have more than 1 account to select from.

Any chance the developers of AFT could implement this on a next release.

Regards,

Keith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

For me AFT reported an error on O2 after a significant delay, but the text had in fact been sent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Finally got around to installing an updated version of aft.

Info sez it's v1.2 and I actually can't remember what version I had previous.

Its got the nice little sending bar which the other version didn't have.

Anyway, it's working with o2 now.

Not sure if it was an o2 problem before. The stupid website has been asking me to change my password every few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭MiniMetro

Has anyone managed to get this working on the Sony Ericsson K750i with the Meteor ISP? It works with Meteor WAP GPRS profile. The ISP profile works with normal internet access. I just get "There was a problem sending your message".
    Thanks

Hi,

I still get errors using AFT on o2. looks like message sends but you don't get how many messages left after sending.
    I know o2 updated their site recently, does AFT require an update to match?

Cheers

Hi,

I still get errors using AFT on o2. looks like message sends but you don't get how many messages left after sending.
    I know o2 updated their site recently, does AFT require an update to match?

Cheers

Same problem here over the last few days. Donut is currently lookin at this.

after dal just asked me about the proxies, I decided to implement a benchmarking system, so every time a message is sent it will calculate the time it took to send that message, and log it in a database.

If the time is over a certain ammount, it blacklists the proxy immediately. This means faster messages for everyone :D
    As a result of AFT getting this bit smarter though, it would mean adding proxies more frequently, but ive updated my scanner now too to be smarter aswell so now every proxy that it adds to the database definitely works. Ill add benchmarking to it soon aswell :) Hopefully this is the end of the crappy o2 sending :)

EDIT: For all the proxies to be benchmarked it might take a week or so before everything reaches an optimum level, improvements can already be seen however if your message takes a while to send it could be as a result of the proxy not being marked yet.

• Advertisement

donutface wrote:
    after dal just asked me about the proxies, I decided to implement a benchmarking system, so every time a message is sent it will calculate the time it took to send that message, and log it in a database.

If the time is over a certain ammount, it blacklists the proxy immediately. This means faster messages for everyone :D
    As a result of AFT getting this bit smarter though, it would mean adding proxies more frequently, but ive updated my scanner now too to be smarter aswell so now every proxy that it adds to the database definitely works. Ill add benchmarking to it soon aswell :) Hopefully this is the end of the crappy o2 sending :)

EDIT: For all the proxies to be benchmarked it might take a week or so before everything reaches an optimum level, improvements can already be seen however if your message takes a while to send it could be as a result of the proxy not being marked yet.

Great stuff, hopefully o2 will become more stable for sending.
    Dal, are you planning any further updates to AFT?
    Multiple accounts would be nice, and the ability to delete names of people last sent and also individual sent texts.
    Keep up the good works lads, this program is saving me a nice few bob every month.

Advertisement