Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

This seems like a clever bit of work, congrats to ye chaps that made it. Does it work on a Nokia 6230i by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

Nuttzy wrote:
    This seems like a clever bit of work, congrats to ye chaps that made it. Does it work on a Nokia 6230i by any chance?

so long as phone configured properly, yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

damo86 wrote:
    yeah,on o2 billpay it appears as free text msg.
    Haha! I don't believe it!! They detect when you use AFT and put that data traffic as 'free text msg'??! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

flodis79 wrote:
    Haha! I don't believe it!! They detect when you use AFT and put that data traffic as 'free text msg'??! ;)
    no, AFT uses your webtexts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭scribs

Hi Guys,

I have a bill phone with vodafone.
    I installed the AFT program on my Nokia 6680.

When I look to send a text it asks me to select an access point
    • VF ISP
    • VF LIVE!
    • VF MMS
    • Vodafone ISP
    • Vodafone Live!

1) Which one should I choose?
    2) Do I have to ring vodafone to get them to activate something for me? if so what?
    3) Is it worth my while using the AFT program with a vodafone bill phone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

no, AFT uses your webtexts :)
    Yes, I know! :) But look at the first post on this page, about Blackberry Pearl:

AFT works on the Blackberry Pearl and what's more it is covered under the data plan. Mind you it does appear on the bill as "Free Text Message".

flodis79 wrote:
    Yes, I know! :) But look at the first post on this page, about Blackberry Pearl:

AFT works on the Blackberry Pearl and what's more it is covered under the data plan. Mind you it does appear on the bill as "Free Text Message".
    i'd say its more likely that he's mistaken in saying its part of the data plan. i'd find it very odd if o2 know enough about AFT to put it as free text on the bill but didn't block it. i could be wrong though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

i'd say its more likely that he's mistaken in saying its part of the data plan.

Well I was not being charged for the Txt (As it is one of the free web txts) or the Data. So it is covered by the data plan.

i'd find it very odd if o2 know enough about AFT to put it as free text on the bill but didn't block it. i could be wrong though
    Don't you believe me?

39190.JPG

I do wonder if they could block on an individual basis. But mine has stopped working from AFT. Is it just me?

Cal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Yes but its got nothing to do with AFT, you have just used one of your free webtexts THROUGH AFT. This entry would also appear on your bill if you logged on to the O2 website and sent a free text.

dal wrote:
    Yes but its got nothing to do with AFT, you have just used one of your free webtexts THROUGH AFT. This entry would also appear on your bill if you logged on to the O2 website and sent a free text.
    which is what i'm saying. try logging in as normal and sending a text and you'll see it come up on your bill. AFT just automates this process so it still appears on your bill. do you notice any gprs charges around the free text each time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

do you notice any gprs charges around the free text each time?

I can see the gprs traffic but it is free with the data add-on. I have zero extra data charges for all data that uses the O2 APN 'wap.dol.ie'

Cal.

Cal wrote:
    I can see the gprs traffic but it is free with the data add-on. I have zero extra data charges for all data that uses the O2 APN 'wap.dol.ie'

Cal.
    right so you're not being charged because your plan doesn't charge for wap and it shows up on your bill because you've sent a webtext. the fact that AFT was used is irrelevant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Is it just me or is AFT not working at all at the moment?

When I go to send a message, it just says:
    Error: General Error. Msg not sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

what network?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

donutface wrote:
    what network?
    Both Meteor and AFT, I haven't been able to check it today yet.

When i tried to log into http://sms.donutsoft.net I got the same message in my browser

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

Is it just me or is AFT not working at all at the moment?

When I go to send a message, it just says:

Missus is having problems on 02 with her 6230i..

Right I have some bad news, ymans dedicated server expires next month so I've had to look at alternative hosting options.

Currently ive been looking at fasthosts.co.uk which would have all that I require for £7.99 per month, however i'm doing my leaving cert and I have no interest in spending money to keep this project alive so theres one of three options:

1. Would someone be so kind to provide me with free ASP.net hosting (i'm not intereseted in one of those host at home jobs), I need ASP.net 2.0 and MySQL. If you do, add me at donut [at] donutsoft [dot] net on MSN, or else private message me.

2. If no one comes forward with option 1 i'll put up a form with paypal donations which would then go directly towards hosting

3. If neither of the above works then ill be forced to set up a server at home, but reliability wouldnt be as good as it is now.

So can someone please come up with option 1!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

What sorta space/bandwidth do you require?

im actually not sure, probably about 20mb a day if even that much, reliability is the important thing

the site itself is less than 1mb big however the database is probably closer to 10mb, but im not sure about this at all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I have an account with Hosting 365 for ASP that I never use, catch me on MSN later / tomorrow and I'll give you a login and you can let me know if it'll work. I think there's at least 6 months left in it, but not 100% sure - need to check.

• Advertisement

brilliant, thanks a million :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Hi lads, anyone make a breakthrough with the Motorola V3 on o2? I'v been at this for hours and am having the same problems as were mentioned previously. I rang o2 and they told me im set up for the pp.internet. I set up a new web session using these guidelines, I used both the new and old AFT apps but still it tells me 'There was a problem sending your message' and the message doesn't send.... Any suggestions?

Edit: Ok this is fairly strange, after changing the GPRS APN from pp.internet to pp.wap.o2.ie it worked the first time I tried to send a text to myself, but wouldn't work after that! After changing the settings around again and continously testing it, it only worked again when I changed the GPRS APN back to pp.wap.o2.ie. But again, only worked the first time!

Can anyone with the V3 who got this working with o2 tell me exactly what they did? And the settings they used for the web sessions. Thanks in advance to anyone who's bothered doing this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Im getting the message: User profile not defined on my Sagem myX6-2. Heres the settings I put in:
    (ISP is activated)
    Provider title:Meteor ISP
    Homepage: http://isp.mymeteor.ie
    Protocal: Http
    Prefered Connection: GPRS
    Proxy: Ive left this blank
    Gsm Parameters: Ive left this blank
    GPRS parameters: Login: My Password: ISP APN isp.mymeteor.ie

Then ive activated this profile
    When I try to go onto wap – I get the following: Error: Cannot resolve hostname
    If I try send a text in AFT, It comes back with an error.
    Anyone able to offer help?

Still havent resolved this. I know my ISP is activated as I was using AFT for a few months on my old Nokia.
    Is the above definetly ok?
    This is really wrecking my head as this is such a good application.

Also when I go to homepage I just get a blank white page?

Is there any chance my ISP could get deactivated with my change of phones ( i never changed my sim)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I have hosting if you need it.

Also I'd like to get it working for my meteor phone - sony ericsson w810i
    I'm using aft version 1.2

Is there a way to check 100% that I have Meteor ISP working?

Sniipe wrote:
    I have hosting if you need it.

Also I'd like to get it working for my meteor phone - sony ericsson w810i
    I'm using aft version 1.2

Is there a way to check 100% that I have Meteor ISP working?

Download opera for mobile on your phone. There is a connection test in the application (under "help" or something). This will tell you whether you have the net connection set up correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I downloaded opera and set it up. couldn't find a specific test, but I typed in a web address wap.sap.com and it worked.

Is that enough to say 100% that I have the right settings or could I have gotten that anyway?

Menu->
    Tools->
    (options here: History, settings, help)
    Help->
    (options here: Introduction, shortcuts, On-Line Help, Bug report, About)

Where do I go from here?

Sniipe wrote:
    Where do I go from here?
    Go to introduction. The connection test is there.

Sounds like your connection is working though.
    So what happens when you try to use AFT? What is the error message?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Used to work for me but neither version will run recently
    Multitext works fine on pc
    "Unfortunately it failed. More than likely O2 down as usual" is error message but like I said its sending fine using Multitext

whisht wrote:
    Used to work for me but neither version will run recently
    Multitext works fine on pc
    "Unfortunately it failed. More than likely O2 down as usual" is error message but like I said its sending fine using Multitext
    You haven't got the latest version of AFT.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Tried both versions and both are 1.2
    When I click your AFT in sig to get newer, i cannot connect to website
    <EDIT>Just tried new version again and it worked!! HAHA</EDIT>

Advertisement