Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@flodis79
    The O2 webtest system only supports up to 160chrs. So "long texts" if he could implment them (I'd imagine he could :P ) would simply be 2 texts, or 3 texts sent one after another...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

ciaranfo wrote:
    @flodis79
    The O2 webtest system only supports up to 160chrs. So "long texts" if he could implment them (I'd imagine he could :P ) would simply be 2 texts, or 3 texts sent one after another...

Yep, thats right, although the multiple texts would be transparent to the user (but not the recipient, if you get what I mean). I think this would be a useful feature.
    I am gonna put up a new version of the app tonight which will support meteor (and also your password request Ciaran!). I will then be away until after the weekend. But I will definitely try to implement multiple texts in the next version of the app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

dal wrote:
    Yep, thats right, although the multiple texts would be transparent to the user (but not the recipient, if you get what I mean). I think this would be a useful feature.
    I am gonna put up a new version of the app tonight which will support meteor (and also your password request Ciaran!). I will then be away until after the weekend. But I will definitely try to implement multiple texts in the next version of the app.
    Ill give a hand on my end too the make things easier. Better to keep this stuff to the server side. I'm sure we can get hold of the text codes as well for splitting messages so the mesage will come as one message to recipients that support message splitting which most phones do i would imagine.

By the way, this app is also very useful if you are roaming in a different country. I was last weekend and each text using AFT cost just 3c. Steeper data rates apply when roaming but thats compared to 40c if you use normal texts while roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Jesus it really does come into its own when roaming. Ive never actually used GPRS while abroad, you didnt need to download any settings for the network you were roaming on or anything did you?

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote:
    Jesus it really does come into its own when roaming. Ive never actually used GPRS while abroad, you didnt need to download any settings for the network you were roaming on or anything did you?
    You don't need any special settings beyond your networks roaming agreements with other networks and your ability to use your phone abroad.

skywalker wrote:

Nope. Didn't have to do anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Can anybody tell me should this java app be compatible with a Nokia 6610i? It takes java aps fine, just tells me this one is unsupported.

>> Cianclarke

I am away for a few days but I will create a MIDP 1.0 version (for your 6610) as soon as I get back.

METEOR, METEOR, METEOR, METEOR

Guys,
    A new version of AFT is up (see link in first post). This version provides support for METEOR!

Thanks to donutface for all his hard work on the server side coding for meteor and thanks to WebMonkey for his continued work on the O2 side.

This version of the app has an option for vodafone, but please note that this is not yet supported (hopefully soon). The app also has asterisks for password fields.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭tech

is there anyone app out there for Vodafone ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

dal wrote:
    >> Cianclarke

I am away for a few days but I will create a MIDP 1.0 version (for your 6610) as soon as I get back.
    :D That would be superb, I'll keep my eye on this thread.

tech wrote:
    is there anyone app out there for Vodafone ?
    Yes but its not free and I don't recommend you give into them since they keep spamming the board. I'm sure a solution will come in time. :)

Can you add version numbers to the filenames / top post and as info within the program?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Just after checkin my O2 online account (was down for last few days, nothing new there:rolleyes: ) For bill pay customers, they are charging 1c per text sent using this app.

Just thought you'd like to know

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Just after checkin my O2 online account (was down for last few days, nothing new there:rolleyes: ) For bill pay customers, they are charging 1c per text sent using this app.

Just thought you'd like to know

Thats a pity. I'm Pay As You Go and when I look at my account it always says 0c for the data transfer (I guess they round it down).
    Thanks for the info Brian.

Is the link in the first post the version supporting meteor?

skywalker wrote:
    Is the link in the first post the version supporting meteor?

Yes the link to aft.jar in the first post has support for O2 and Meteor

Please note that in the app there is also an option of vodafone, this is not yet available, but hopefully will be soon.

Just had a go of it for the first time (meteor), works very well, good work lads.
    Cost 2c on meteor payg.

A couple of things which would improve it (Im sure you know most of these but maybe Ill point out something you hadnt thought of).

- insert number feature (when in message)
    - better link up with the phones phonebook (would be nice if it just behaved like the phone normally does).
    - Would be better if it autosaved current unsent messages when you exit application (for when you close it by accident)

It does seem quicker than gprsms when actually sending the message and returning your number of webtexts remaining.:)

And obviously to show peoples names from the phonebook in the recent 5 numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

And maybe a facility for saving sent messages, becuase i have an awful habit of texting people when im drunk and not remebering the next day. I did it last friday again:confused: . But if its too messy ill just have to get over it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Brianb8802 wrote:
    And maybe a facility for saving sent messages, becuase i have an awful habit of texting people when im drunk and not remebering the next day. I did it last friday again:confused: . But if its too messy ill just have to get over it

Allowing multiple recipents on the web side of things, and a slight alteration of the program to make use of this would mean you could send one to yourself at the same time, it wouldn't keep track of who you sent it too (although the context should help!) and it'd mean your webtext use would be doubled too. It would depend on your use really. I would imagine saving sent messages directly wouldn't be too difficult, just the interface for reading them would be the most work.

Great app though, shame on me for being on vodafone :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

is there a vodafone version?

There's some problems with this on a k800i. It doesn't allow you put a 0 into the username field for your O2 mobile?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Would LOVE this for vodafone!

Hows it working for k750i's ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

Tusky wrote:
    Would LOVE this for vodafone!

Hows it working for k750i's ?

using it perfectly with a k750i flashed with w800i software, fundementally the same, i am on o2 billpay and paying 0.01 ofr each one

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Wont work on my K800i :( :mad:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Works perfect on my W810i and K700 both on Meteor. Thanks Guys

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭thegame

i have install it on my k750i phone and i have meteor network,but when i send a text it crashes and it trys to send ,i have meteor mms and meteor wap.do you need the grps on it?? i have checked meteor website but its not on it for my phone??? anyone help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

Works really well on 6230i and meteor payg. Thanks alot. Not a big texter but like the cut of your jib. I have a 300 webtext allowance with meteor pay as you go. Don't know if this is permanent or because I signed with them a few weeks ago. So the sms I send with this little app are coming off that allowance. So they are in fact free. Geeez.s I hate texting
    tnx
    dOH

Forgot to add with 6230i I'm able to access the phonebook. What more could you want! (something is sure to occur to me)

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

Advertisement