Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Can anyone confirm that AFT can not be used on O2 using the wap.dol.ie or wap.o2.ie APN's but works fine on open.internet and internet APN's.

If this is the case then it could answer why it works for some and not others.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

I've been studying this for a couple of days.

Would I be right to assume that the Java program won't rely on the SIM card defined in the account being actually in use in the phone?

I'm thinking of roaming use, when other SIM options might be cheaper for data, like perhaps Virgin UK or Swisscom, or in Germany some are 24c/MB

Obviously, for receiving a bit of SIM swapping or 2 phones would be needed

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭nick23

finished with 3 then? :D

Yep! Feels like that huge weight of aggravation and stress has been lifted from my shoulders! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

andy0 wrote:
    Would I be right to assume that the Java program won't rely on the SIM card defined in the account being actually in use in the phone?
    Thats correct. It doesn't matter what SIM card you have in.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi Dal,

I have been using AFT since October, great program i have saved loads of money on international texts. Just wondering if you could share the source code, also what Java package do you use? I haven't used Java before but would like to trick around with the program, maybe personalise it a bit.

PM me or send to my email : keithmcgrane@gmail.com

Regards,

Keith McGrane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Thanks for great application. Being a stickler for spelling, I must mention a small typo in AFT :D.

After sending a text, when you can enter a name for the number and save it to AFT contacts, it should be "recipient's name" [with apostrophe].

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Will it work on vodafone/meteor with Samsung D900 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

PM me or send to my email
    Just sent you an email Keith!
    ethernet wrote:
    it should be "recipient's name"
    Fair play! It'll be changed in the next version.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I see Meteor still hasnt do anything to make their service more reliable. Tonight I will add some source code to retry 2 or 3 times until its actually sent (We had the same problem with vodafone).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

ethernet wrote:
    Thanks for great application. Being a stickler for spelling, I must mention a small typo in AFT :D.

After sending a text, when you can enter a name for the number and save it to AFT contacts, it should be "recipient's name" [with apostrophe].

:eek: LOL :eek:

• Advertisement

ok meteor should be fixed now and every service should be a bit more reliable now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

By any chance has anyone got aft to work on O2 speakeasy using a Nokia 6230i? I cannot for the life of me get it to work. (Worked fine using the same phone when I was billpay)

I've downloaded the MMS/WAP settings from O2. I've contacted customer care and gone through setting up an access point, but it still won't work :(

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

donutface wrote:
    ok meteor should be fixed now and every service should be a bit more reliable now.

yeah o2 seems way more reliable to me know. its working every text now. where as before it could be every second text.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Yea I must agree totally with above. It's definitely much more reliable with o2 today.

the code i added affects all networks.

Before it would only try again if it managed to log in successfully and then if it failed to send the text, it would try and send it again

now if it fails to login it tries again, then does the text and if it fails it tries again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

donutface wrote:
    the code i added affects all networks.

Before it would only try again if it managed to log in successfully and then if it failed to send the text, it would try and send it again

now if it fails to login it tries again, then does the text and if it fails it tries again ;)
    Great work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

how do i go about stting this up on a vodafone sim with a motorola L6??? what do i have to do??

i have a cable to connect it to the pc aswell

dunno if that motorolla is supported, read the wiki anyway

http://aft.donutsoft.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

is there a problem with AFT on vodafone at the mo? both AFT and multitext are telling me i have invalid login details and i don't. i can log into the vodafone site as normal

edit: just tried to send a message there and it failed so it seems to be a problem on vodafone's end but i can login fine so AFT is giving the wrong error code

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@Vimes
    Just sent one using Vodafone and MT without issue.

• Advertisement

ciaranfo wrote:
    @Vimes
    Just sent one using Vodafone and MT without issue.
    me too. seems to be working again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 446 ✭✭duckmusic

Just wondering if anybody rang their service provider to ask them to activate the Internet APN ? What was there reaction, eg did they ask why u wanted it turned on ? I'm sure they are not to happy with the programme so would be reluctant to turn it on. Would I be right ?

duckmusic wrote:
    Just wondering if anybody rang their service provider to ask them to activate the Internet APN ? What was there reaction, eg did they ask why u wanted it turned on ? I'm sure they are not to happy with the programme so would be reluctant to turn it on. Would I be right ?
    i said i was using it for the gmail application which also needs it. or tell them you want to use your phone as a modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

commander Vimes what gmail app uses it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I still can't connect; I can gain access to the internet via Opera but every single time I try to send a message I get the same error after it connects to the internet.
    "There was a problem sending your message"

Meteor; Sony Ericsson w810i

Sniipe wrote:
    commander Vimes what gmail app uses it?
    the gmail app. there is only one. www.gmail.com/app
    Sniipe wrote:
    I still can't connect; I can gain access to the internet via Opera but every single time I try to send a message I get the same error after it connects to the internet.
    "There was a problem sending your message"

Meteor; Sony Ericsson w810i
    go here: http://www.sonyericsson.com/spg.jsp?cc=ie&lc=en&ver=4000&template=ps1_1_1_1&zone=ps&lm=ps1_1&pid=10101

and download the wap settings to your phone. when they're installed, set them as the default internet settings (in settings->connectivity->internet settings or something similar).

once you've done that, go into the java settings which are on the same list as the internet settings and set the same settings as the default. annoying i know but your java internet settings are separate to your regular internet settings

before you download the settings you should delete all previous meteor wap settings in case you pick the wrong one by accident. meteor used to send out the wrong settings for the w810 from their site and they still might be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭branners69

ziggy67 wrote:
    I'm also having probs with Vodafone, keep getting "message not sent, there was a problem sending your message" error constantly...

Getting the same message on Vodafone myself the last week or so on my N73 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Apparently, the Betamax companies have just launched the possibility to send messages from just a secure-server url, with username, password, sender ID, destination, and message body all included.

I'm sure you guys are a lot cleverer than me at assessing the possibilities that this may or may not allow
    Dear VOIP users,

we proudly present a new feature for easily sending textmessages (SMS) through a link which you can post in your browser's addressbar.

You can do this without using our software or accessing the website.

Use the following link and fill in the desired data:

https://myaccount.LABELNAME.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=XXXXXXXXXX&password=XXXXXXXXXX&from=XXXXXXXXXX&to=XXXXXXXXXX&text=XXXXXXXXXX

Explanation of the variables:
    - labelname: fill in the name of the VOIP label where you have your account. For instance VoipBuster, VoipStunt or SMSdiscount.
    - username: your username
    - password: your password
    - from: your username or your verified phone number. Always use international format for the number starting with 00, for instance 00491701234567
    - to: the number you wish to send the sms to. Always use international format starting with 00, for instance 00491701234567
    - text: the message you want to send. Use + for a space between words

After creating the link in a text editor you can copy it into your internet browser's address bar. Than just hit the Enter button and you will get a notification if the text message (SMS) was sent.

Here's an example:
    https://myaccount.smsdiscount.com/clx/sendsms.php?username=myaccount&password=mypassword&from=myaccount&to=00123456789&text=Hi+how+are+you

You can find more information here:
    http://www.smsdiscount.com/en/sms.html (scroll down)

Best regards,
    The SMS team

Sorry the forum display is shortening the url, but hovering the cursor or copy shortcut will show you the whole thing

I read that someone who used this from a mobile had a page come up with a query about trusting the security certificate, and that the overall exchange used about 4k of data for a sort message. And I don't think all mobiles support certificates

Also, typing a url with the whole message as part of it would tax the copy-and-paste editing-of-bookmark abilities of anyone, especially if typing letters and numbers with multiple key presses.

I haven't used AFT yet, but in my mind it or the compact hosted sites with text entry boxes are acting as a kind of buffer for the security issues, as well as allowing people to partly log in and enter perhaps just the destination number and message more easily, and save data use on the network as well.

So the question is: I saw that you mentioned making Voipbuster more accessible, and were then taking a look at the Voipbuster client, but as they have now launched this possibility on all their brands, is this interesting at all, perhaps with particular reference to smsdiscount, which has 1 cent tariffs for quite a few destinations? Mind you, they have a habit of starting up new brands with special tariffs which end after a while ...

On the other hand, much more simply, perhaps I and anyone else that wants to play with this sort of thing should just get an O2 Ireland SiM

Advertisement