Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

To update on an earlier problem I had with not having access to the internal phonebook on a Nokia 6070: it was indeed working, but I just tried to press arrow down when in the "enter number" field and nothing happened.. Didn't realise you have to go into the left soft key menu and then choose Search from there. Sorry for any confusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Ok, thanks

I downloaded AFT using O2 UK, and when I go to send from AFT, the phone says to Subscribe to packet data first

Just done it all again, in case they changed settings - still the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Ok, but did you delete all the connection settings and then download new settings from the o2.co.uk site?

If you get the message "Subscribe to packet data first" this means that your connection on your phone isn't set up properly. It has nothing to do with AFT.

Rather odd, but it was just the connection, as you said. The phone was originally on Orange, but unlocked. Even with O2 settings loaded, and O2 set as default connection, and O2 used to download AFT or visit O2 homepage and a couple of other pages, to try to send from AFT the phone seemed to be wanting to use an Orange connection after all.

After talking to O2 and to Nokia, without much help from the latter (he was anti from the start because the phone was unlocked), I've deleted the whole list of settings, reloaded O2 from the Nokia website, and successfully sent a message from AFT. I hasn't arrived yet, but that is down to Voipbuster, as it appears on my account there. Next I might dare to reload Virgin & Orange settings (then maybe delete them again?)

edit - it is completely to do with the phone - with O2 as the first entry now, using Orange to connect from AFT, VB or Vyke is impossible, even with Orange settings loaded, selected as default connection, and as default to be used in applications; works fine for other browsing though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misho

dal wrote:
    If opera mini is working, then aft should work. What is the error message that you are getting now?
    "There was a problem sending your message" I can see GPRS icon active on the display, sometimes it decreases my balance by 1c.

I've tried AFT on SE W800i with different SIM (still Meteor though) and it isn't working either. The phone will try to send the text for couple of the minutes with no result, even though I can see icon for GPRS connection active. AFT says on the phone "the message is being sent". I deleted all the settings from the phone and I downloaded fresh profile from Meteor page. I guess the settings may be wrong, but again, wap with default phone browser and internet with opera mini are working.

But I can use the MT Web which is pretty handy as well, the page is really simple. One message costs through this about 5c which is still fair enough.
    Anyways, if AFT would work for me, that would be even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

misho wrote:
    "There was a problem sending your message" I can see GPRS icon active on the display, sometimes it decreases my balance by 1c.

I've tried AFT on SE W800i with different SIM (still Meteor though) and it isn't working either. The phone will try to send the text for couple of the minutes with no result, even though I can see icon for GPRS connection active. AFT says on the phone "the message is being sent". I deleted all the settings from the phone and I downloaded fresh profile from Meteor page. I guess the settings may be wrong, but again, wap with default phone browser and internet with opera mini are working.

But I can use the MT Web which is pretty handy as well, the page is really simple. One message costs through this about 5c which is still fair enough.
    Anyways, if AFT would work for me, that would be even better.
    as well as setting the default internet settings, you have to go into "settings for java" on the same menu and set it to connect with the same settings

stupid i know

To follow up my last post, rather than edit it again -

I've spoken to Nokia again. I said I thought it was an issue with the way the phone handled defaults, as now that I have O2 as the first-listed setting, even fully selecting Orange means it's trying to use O2 (a screen flashes this for a moment in the Voipbuster client), whereas the reverse was the case before.

He asked me, did setting the default connection for all applications work for all the applications actually supplied with the phone; the answer is yes. So it's only the third-party software with a problem then? - yes

I said I thought it would be a very improbable coincidence that 3 separate groups of developers could have made a mistake in having their application trying to use the other connection, and that perhaps this was either a feature of the phone or possibly the way things were described in developer notes supplied by Nokia.

He'll refer it onwards tomorrow; they might decide to look into it a bit more or that they can't help any further, and will let me know.

It might be a bit interesting or just deadly boring, as it probably doesn't apply to many people, switching networks like that.

It will be ok for me anyway, as I have a few modest Nokia phones, though they use different Java versions - CLDC 1.1 MIDP 2.0 in this, 1.0 for both in the older ones, whatever the letters mean

as well as setting the default internet settings, you have to go into "settings for java" on the same menu and set it to connect with the same settings

stupid i know
    yeah, I knew that and it has been already set, but didn't work anyway
    I don't want to be pain here, I will mess with it a little bit more and hopefully I'll get it to work in some point :)

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

with enough messing youll definitely get it, 1200 other people managed to get it so far ;) Your problem isnt unique either, a lot of people have problems getting the damn thing working but once it works its so damn worth it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

Anyone having problems with AFT on vodafone?
    O2 sends fine from same phone.

Only downloaded latest version today.

ambrose

• Advertisement

Anyone got AFT working with meteor and using Nokia 6300? I have no joy here even though I've tried almost all possible combinations of settings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Hi guys,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered but the one failing of boards.ie is the s%&#e search facility.

Anyhow, is there anyway of using AFT with a windows mobile device. I have a HTC Tytn (aka hermes) with windows mobile 6. I understand that java does not work on this but am open to correction.

Anyhow I'd love to get it working if at all possible.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

@gunnerfitzy
    It'll prob work with the Java on the device. Also have a look at http://www.randomprojects.eu/multitext/web

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Anyhow, is there anyway of using AFT with a windows mobile device. I have a HTC Tytn (aka hermes) with windows mobile 6. I understand that java does not work on this but am open to correction.
    It'll only work if the phone supports java.

Hi guys,

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered but the one failing of boards.ie is the s%&#e search facility.

Anyhow I'd love to get it working if at all possible.

Cheers
    according to http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_tytn-1659.php it does support java MIDP 2.0 which is what the program uses. download it from http://killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar and try it out

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭MickeyD

Can't get this working with vodafone. My GPRS is set up correctly as I can access web sites fine, but when I try use AFT I just get a message saying there was a problem sending it. My phone is a Nokia N70. Is this a config problem on my end or are other people experiencing problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

MickeyD, I'm also having problems with an N70 sending with Vodfone. O2/Metoer work fine from same phone. Anyone else having voda problems??

vodafone is working fine, make sure your putting in your username and password right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭gunnerfitzy

Guys thanks a million. It worked straight up, because as stated, there is a java client pre-installed. Cheers

MickeyD, I'm also having problems with an N70 sending with Vodfone. O2/Metoer work fine from same phone. Anyone else having voda problems??
    if vodafone and meteor are working fine from the same phone then the problem's at vodafone's end. the only difference at your end is AFT sends s=v (service=vodafone) instead of s=m (meteor). i've had intermittent problems myself where it would tell me i have an invalid account when i don't

edit: in fact, vodafone's not letting log into the website either so its definitely a problem at their end :)

• Advertisement

can anyone here that knows A LOT about imode add me on msn? donut at donutsoft dot net

im talking about it from a technical perspective, Id like to find out more about it and find out whats involved to get AFT working through it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Smithers

any on creating a aft2 folks so it installs exactly the same as the regular aft but with a different name? so i can use aft to have my o2 username and password stored and aft2 for my meteor?

c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

andy0 wrote:
    I've read and been a bit confused by the remarks about network settings.

It isn't helped by the Nokia 6070 menu having settings in 2 different places.

I have Orange UK, O2 UK and Virgin SIMs. I downloaded AFT using the O2 one, and have switched a couple of times.

On attempting to send using AFTUser with Voipbuster set as default, with O2 or Virgin, I get the message Subscribe to packet data first; with Orange I get There was an error sending your message. My account seems to work though, as I got a message last night confirming the 959 set-up on the website, sent off my VB account

So what I want to ask is, having read your remarks about getting your Irish network to send the required settings that not all their CS staff know about, does it look like I need to get some different settings sent, which lot of phone menu settings is AFT actually working from, should I be manually entering more settings in the Access point part of the menu that only contains Orange details at the moment, plus any other info that you think might help me get to grips with what I'm doing, like go re-read these or those instructions.

And in case you say we don't know anything about those UK SIMs, or anyway, I could offer to send a couple of you one of these free Virgin SIMs with £5 credit on, which is enough for 1 MB either in UK or roaming.

Sorry this is a bit long

you don't get correct settings from networks - they omit the access point
    delete everything and go here

every time you change sim you need to change the preferred access point in the settings configuration menu

yapyap wrote:
    you don't get correct settings from networks - they omit the access point
    delete everything and go here

every time you change sim you need to change the preferred access point in the settings configuration menu

Thank you, but if you read my subsequent posts, you might see that I did exactly that, but it still sometimes tried to go to a different provider than selected, depending on the order they were installed in, and that Nokia technical support were slagging off third-party applications that didn't work properly with Nokia phones.

This afternoon I replied that the programs work perfectly well with other Nokia phones. When I mentioned about 4 phones from a thread discussing the product [here, but not named], I was abruptly put on hold for about 3 minutes, then the call dropped.

I shall be making a written complaint to the company about misleading advice and other spurious comments, such as the first man's false accusation that I was in breach of contract with Orange, or that it is only intended to have one group of settings in phones that are evidently designed with space for 10

It seems difficult for them to accurately record my query, namely that it seems to be only this 6070 phone and the way it handles its default settings, as a couple of other Nokia phones have no problem at all switching settings for other SIMs

as of today, 1326 people are using AFT.

Very unlikely that not a single nokia is amongst them, infact im using a Nokia 6630 right here. The nokia customer service rep is just plain lazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

I'm having problems sending via VB on the new AFT client. It just says message could not be sent successfully... Is the VB implemented yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

andy0 wrote:
    Thank you, but if you read my subsequent posts, you might see that I did exactly that, but it still sometimes tried to go to a different provider than selected, depending on the order they were installed in, and that Nokia technical support were slagging off third-party applications that didn't work properly with Nokia phones.

This afternoon I replied that the programs work perfectly well with other Nokia phones. When I mentioned about 4 phones from a thread discussing the product [here, but not named], I was abruptly put on hold for about 3 minutes, then the call dropped.

I shall be making a written complaint to the company about misleading advice and other spurious comments, such as the first man's false accusation that I was in breach of contract with Orange, or that it is only intended to have one group of settings in phones that are evidently designed with space for 10

It seems difficult for them to accurately record my query, namely that it seems to be only this 6070 phone and the way it handles its default settings, as a couple of other Nokia phones have no problem at all switching settings for other SIMs

whatever sim you use most, leave that as the network default setting

each time you change network you need to change the preferred access point from the list.
    scroll to the list, highlight the network and press select.
    this is separate to default settings. try & enjoy!
    i'll meet you on msn if you're stuck

yapyap wrote:
    whatever sim you use most, leave that as the network default setting

each time you change network you need to change the preferred access point from the list.
    scroll to the list, highlight the network and press select.
    this is separate to default settings.
    Thank you

Just now, all the settings were apparently on Orange, except that one, which I had not seen before, and nobody at Nokia had bothered to mention either, and which does not even exist in other phones with simpler menus.

So I just tried a message that failed, found and changed that, and succeeded

Because I had removed and reloaded the settings, that had defaulted from Orange originally to O2 now, presumably picked up from the first entered settings as they appear in the other list.

Why they need to have 4 places in the menu to define settings as selected or default and so on, I really do not understand, especially, when one can change it all on a N 3120 or 3510i or 7600 in just one place. What is the semantic difference between preferred and default anyway?

Hmmm, maybe a bit more feedback for their technical support staff ...

Apologies for taking up time and space here until now, and I hope there is a small chance it might help someone else later

flodis79 wrote:
    I'm having problems sending via VB on the new AFT client. It just says message could not be sent successfully... Is the VB implemented yet?
    It is only Voipbuster that I've used so far with AFT.

I don't know if any of the boring saga of my other posts applies, and especially yapyap's last reply, if you've switched SIM in the 6070 ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

I was using an older version of aft 1.2 on my blackberry 8700g.

Since upgrading to the new version when I try to go to the settings menu I get

Uncaught exception:
    java.lang.indexOutOfBounds Exception

Advertisement