Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

is there anyone here with much knowledge of IIS? Its behaving very weirdly (not working at all), and my provider isnt being much help either

I cant access my VPS control panel either while they say they can access it fine so maybe theres something else wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 lumness

down again for me too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

if you want you can redirect AFT to my server until yours is working again. the url is:

http://thetexter.redstarhosting.net/d.php?u=&p=&s=&d=&m=

i set it up in the last few days because AFT wasn't working properly and i need my cheap texts :)

it only works for meteor and o2
    it can send unlimited characters
    it returns the number of texts left or -1 for an error. it doesn't differentiate between error types yet

people using multitext can use my temporary basic html interface:

http://thetexter.redstarhosting.net/t.php?u=YOUR NUMBER&p=YOUR PASSWORD&s=YOUR NETWORK

in the address above, change the stuff in capitals to what they should be, ie change YOUR NUMBER to your actual phone number etc and save it as a bookmark so you don't have to type it in every time

it doesn't have a phone book or anything but it'll keep us going until MT's back up :)

when you send a text the page changes and all you'll se is a number. that's the number of messages you have left

edit: boards likes to cut off web addresses. right click on the link and click properties to get the whole thing

edit2: AFT users can use the above address too but there's not much point because it costs 6c a message (on meteor) because it has to load the page for entering the message aswell as sending the text. i'm using it because my gf's in america and 6c is better than 25c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

I'll be putting CVs solution into MT as a backup should donuts server have problems in the future. Between the two the service should be rock solid.

Hopefully I'll have a build out in the next day or two.

i cant as the file has to be called sendsms.aspx

im busy setting up a temp server at home, im not getting very far with these virtual server prodivers, they say that theyve escelated to some or other person, ill hopefully get the service back up tonight

• Advertisement

it should be working again now from my home machine

edit: might take a while for DNS to propagate

donutface wrote:
    it should be working again now from my home machine

edit: might take a while for DNS to propagate
    Won't it take time for the DNS to update?

meteor is working again, o2 isnt as of now but will probably soon as the DNS updates

donutface wrote:
    meteor is working again, o2 isnt as of now but will probably soon as the DNS updates
    Alright mate, nice one.

I take it the new server isn't working out very well then?

its been working perfectly till monday when that issue popped up with IIS (or else their firewall) closing connections as soon as they are open.

I asked for a refund but they said they are handling it, basically if it isnt up by tommorow ill file a paypal dispute and get it sorted out, as far as aft goes there shouldnt be any more downtime from now on

damnit i forgot to touch wood, now my ISP is giving issues with outbound connections, hopefully theyll be sorted out soon!

Oh and I put a complaint about VPSland on Paypal so hopefully things get sorted out fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭butts

Thanks to OP dal and anyone else involved. Downloaded aft.jar from the link on the first page and works fine on my M600i. Didn't check the rest of the thread so hope I haven't missed anything of note.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I was posting earlier in the thread about not being able to get a Samsung D600 to work but I've got a Nokia E61i now and it works a treat. Cheers :D

some good news, by next week if VPSland doesnt respond to the paypal claim, then we win by default, which means we'll be getting a UK server, bit more expensive but my friend is willing to pay the difference.

Real shame VPSland sucks so much, but atleast texting has remained stable for now (i hope!)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

donutface wrote:
    some good news, by next week if VPSland doesnt respond to the paypal claim, then we win by default, which means we'll be getting a UK server, bit more expensive but my friend is willing to pay the difference.

Real shame VPSland sucks so much, but atleast texting has remained stable for now (i hope!)

Good stuff donut, texts haven't been working great last couple of days, hopefully more stable when you get the UK server. Keep up the good work.

Keith

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Ya texts havent been working for me the last few days on O2, keep getting, server unavailable error. Pity sending texts with VPSland were really fast before, it got all ****y

heh, im really sorry about that then. I should have researched them before i got into this mess, but i wont be making the mistake again

has anyone else had difficulties with o2? for meteor its been fine for me

donutface wrote:
    heh, im really sorry about that then. I should have researched them before i got into this mess, but i wont be making the mistake again

has anyone else had difficulties with o2? for meteor its been fine for me
    I've had some issues logging into the O2 website itself - so this is probably the same issue affecting aft/mt.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

hey i have an 02 Motorola v360 pay as you go , can anyone please lay out which settings i need to change in order to get AFT working?i have activated my isp apn and have a code for it, i have downloaded the program, but i just need the specifics
    anyone?

i have activated my isp apn and have a code for it, i have downloaded the program, but i just need the specifics
    anyone?

Check out the wiki on aft here http://aft.donutsoft.net/. Hopefully should answer any of your questions.

donutface wrote:

No need to be sorry, how were you to know that it would just stop working a few weeks into the new hosting

that site is down while its on my server - i dont have php installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭johnny-fatality

i have absoluetely no idea what do do with that link, do you convert it or something?
    im sorry for not being clever!

The website you were linked do isn'tworking johnny-fatality.

On O2 you need to call up data support on 1850601740 and tell them you want to activate the pp.internet APN on your account. Ask them to go through the settings with you for your handset aswell.

If they ask why tell them you're trying to run Opera Mini or something, but I don't see why they'd have a problem.

Hope this helps.

i have absoluetely no idea what do do with that link, do you convert it or something?
    im sorry for not being clever!

Ah ****, sorry bout that, didnt even check it before i posted it

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Hey, I'm heading to d shtates for the next few months and will have a T-Mobile sim. Would I be able to use AFT to send cheap texts to both my friends in america (with US numbers) and people back home? Does anyone know about GPRS in America, in particular with T-Mobile? ie would the settings have to be changed much and would it be as cheap as here in Ireland?

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    Hey, I'm heading to d shtates for the next few months and will have a T-Mobile sim. Would I be able to use AFT to send cheap texts to both my friends in america (with US numbers) and people back home? Does anyone know about GPRS in America, in particular with T-Mobile? ie would the settings have to be changed much and would it be as cheap as here in Ireland?
    my gf's currently in america and she's using AFT over there. she's on cingular and its 1c/kb, similar to ireland

of course, when she sends me a text it appears to come from her irish number and i have to text back her american one. you can't put an american number into the AFT settings, it has to be meteor/voda/o2

if you wanted to text your american friends from your irish number you'd have to be on o2 because they're the only network that allow international webtexts.

if you use your irish o2 sim card over there those two problems go away but the saving on texts would be negated by the extra cost for calls

depending on the phone, putting settings on it shouldn't be a problem. what type of phone is it?

VoipBuster supports using custom numbers (once they are verified), and the next version of AFT will allow you to specify the sender number for voipbuster.

Basically dal just moved to belfast i think so he doesnt have broadband at the mo. Tommorow is the deadline for that hosting company to respond to paypal, else we automatically get a full refund on tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Cheers for that Commander Vimes. It's a motorola V3, would the settings be similar?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

donutface wrote:
    VoipBuster supports using custom numbers (once they are verified), and the next version of AFT will allow you to specify the sender number for voipbuster.
    Interesting, but are you sure?

The Voipbuster client itself doesn't seem to send the number, even if a validated one is selected in Setup (mainly or only? for callback)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

can anyone give link to murphmessenger?

• Advertisement

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    Cheers for that Commander Vimes. It's a motorola V3, would the settings be similar?
    i'm not sure what you mean. you put your provider's (eg cingular's) internet settings on your phone and set them as the default. then AFT uses these settings to access the internet and send the message.

the only setting the user enters into AFT is their username (phone number), their password and their network (met/o2/voda). the internet settings you enter into your phone are independent of AFT.

you should be able to get cingular's settings sent to your phone in a text message and they'll install automatically.

i've done it for a sony ericsson before because they had the cingular settings on their site but as usual moto are sh*t so i can't find any option on the site to send the settings to your phone. i'll have a look on the cingular site

Advertisement