Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Just a quick note to tell everyone that we got our full refund, and that a new host should be found today :)

For those of oyu that dont know, im partnering with someone (trustworthy) and he's paying half the bill so we get double the value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

andy0 wrote:
    Interesting, but are you sure?

The Voipbuster client itself doesn't seem to send the number, even if a validated one is selected in Setup (mainly or only? for callback)

Whether this is possible thru the voipbuster client or not, it will definitely be possible thru AFT.
    Donut, have you had a chance to update the server-side code for this functionality? I will be making a release later this week which will include a support for "from" numbers for voipbuster and smsdiscount (which is what I use). This release will also support multiple saved accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Well it's actually T-Mobile, but thanks anyway CV. I was having a look on their website yesterday and there was the option to get the settings sent to the phone so I'll have to wait til I get to America to see if they work. Thanks for the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ianwalsh2 wrote:
    Well it's actually T-Mobile, but thanks anyway CV. I was having a look on their website yesterday and there was the option to get the settings sent to the phone so I'll have to wait til I get to America to see if they work. Thanks for the help!
    where is the option? i went looking for it and couldn't find it. didn't look very hard though :)

ok lads i just updated the domain for the new server, so within the next hour or so all phoens should be going through it.

it is FAST :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

dal wrote:
    Whether this is possible thru the voipbuster client or not, it will definitely be possible thru AFT.
    Donut, have you had a chance to update the server-side code for this functionality? I will be making a release later this week which will include a support for "from" numbers for voipbuster and smsdiscount (which is what I use). This release will also support multiple saved accounts.

I like the sound of this, and one of the things it could be very attractive with is the recently introduced sms callback for Voipcheap

(which has better mobile rates than Voipbuster)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ianwalsh2

Fookn hell it's after taking me ages searching through that T-Mobile website. They seemed to be very easy to find the first time I looked! Here's the settings and here's a configurator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Very nice Donut, keep up the good work!

just thought id mention this summer I have a fulltime job in a computer shop wherre not a lot happens, so hopefully ill have time to create a doja (i-mode) client of AFT and a Windows mobile edition one, which should pretty much cover every platform.

Very nice mate - give us a shout if you need beta testers for the Windows Mobile one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

donutface wrote:
    just thought id mention this summer I have a fulltime job in a computer shop wherre not a lot happens, so hopefully ill have time to create a doja (i-mode) client of AFT and a Windows mobile edition one, which should pretty much cover every platform.

Hi! I've been reading about your webtext applications for a while and they seem pretty nifty but I haven't gotten around to using them. I dislike the idea of giving my password to a third party is the main reason, to be honest, because that opens up potential 3rd party access to my email account. No offence meant but you're all strangers to me and I wouldn't even like my friends having potential access to my email!

Aaaanyway, is there any chance at all that you'll develop something we could download to our phone and have all the webtext-accessing work done by our phone or do you think it would have to be too big and thereby cost as much on data as you're saving on the text?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Rockson wrote:
    Hi! I've been reading about your webtext applications for a while and they seem pretty nifty but I haven't gotten around to using them. I dislike the idea of giving my password to a third party is the main reason, to be honest, because that opens up potential 3rd party access to my email account. No offence meant but you're all strangers to me and I wouldn't even like my friends having potential access to my email!

Aaaanyway, is there any chance at all that you'll develop something we could download to our phone and have all the webtext-accessing work done by our phone or do you think it would have to be too big and thereby cost as much on data as you're saving on the text?
    Forget it. You would be better off sending a normal text message. The whole point of this system is to take all the overhead of loading sites away from phone so it just one request that goes to the server.

Rockson wrote:

Over a thousand people have used the service so far and I don't think I've heard one piece of negative feedback on the forum.

Generally I would take this as a good sign - the lads are out to make their texting life, and in turn ours, easier by maintaining this gateway.

Take the plunge!

it will cost around 9-10c if you do it that way with all the data being transferred

The server is expensive enough, personally id also much rather have the phone do all the work, maybe one day when data charges become much cheaper. (which might be sooner than what we all think!). Would also be slower to send than what it is now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Just downloaded the app (Nokia 6234 on Vodafone)... but each time I try to send a message it says there was problem. I'm pretty sure everything on my phone is set correctly (e.g. I've no problems running Opera Mini).

Tried the link to the AFT wiki but looks like the server is down... and as I'm here... since Vodafone don't allow you to send international texts through the webtext feature is this still the case using AFT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

donutface wrote:

Great!! Pls sign me up already now as beta tester for the doja version :)) Can't wait..

Rockson wrote:

the application would have to access the internet so you'd still have to trust that it wasn't sending them the password. as ciaranfo says over 1000 people are using it and no one's been hacked yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Rockson

Yeah, I kinda guessed that might be the problem, donutface. I also came to the same hopeful conclusion re. data charges! *sideways glance at 3's bb add-on again*

Sorry regarding the Wiki, i thought php was working already but obviously isnt - ill get it sorted out tonight

donutface wrote:
    Sorry regarding the Wiki, i thought php was working already but obviously isnt - ill get it sorted out tonight
    That's simply not good enough. ;):D

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Can you gimme more info on smsdiscount support so I can see if it's feasible in MT?

same as voipbuster, just s=sd but ihavent added support yet. will soon, busy studying though

kk... will get that support added too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

First of all, thanks guys for releasing some great little utilities into the public domain.

Secondly, would any of you have the isp settings handy for Vodafone PAYG ISP?
    I've tried using the nokia.ie settings page to have them sent to my phone, for some reason they won't send, yet I can use the same page to send O2 details to a speakeasy SIM.

I also tried calling the VF CS dept. I was asked "What do you need those settings for, what are you trying to do with your phone?" It could have been a totally innocuous question, or they could be on to what's going on. Regardless, I just told them that I wanted my phone operating at full functionality. The CS Rep said she'd email the settings to me. This was early afternoon. Eight hours later, and still no sign of the email.

I'm pretty sure that all I need is the correct username and password for isp.vodafone.ie as when I try to send a text through AFT, I get the error.. There was a problem sending your message. Invalid account.

Sorry if these details have already been posted, but I've read through a lot of this thread already and haven't seen them anywhere.

Thanks in advance.

If the rep asks you again tell them you're trying to use Opera Mini. Simple as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

donutface wrote:

Ok I'll keep an eye out for that... I've read back a few pages and found an answer regards sending international texts from vodafone - shame about that... but anyway I'm still having a problem getting it to send any texts (even a test sent to my own number) from vodafone :(

AFAIK I have the ISP access point configured correctly (i.e. I'm able to run Opera Mini)... anyone have any other issues using the AFT with vodafone?

guys - bad news

looks like Vodafone has blocked my new server, when I log in from home it works fine but when I log in from the dedi it gives me one of their custom error messages.

Tonight ill make it route all vodafone messages through my home machine (which they cant block as it has a dynamic IP) but in the mean time id suggest giving vodafone an email and tell them to unblock
    78.129.128.132 from their lists

My question is has vodafone ever worked with the new server? I know for definite that its a fault at their side and not at ours as o2/meteor works fine.

heres a picture for the skeptical
    vodafone.jpg

Bastards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 d_regal_jester

Hi Guys, wikd wikd service, have been using it for a coupld of days now but I cant seem to send international?

From my phone I launch the AFT app and use the 0061 instead of +61

It looks like its sending but I do not see my message balance decrement when I send & the message doesnt get delivered? Domestic messages work fine? Am i doing something wrong or does it simply not work for International on the meteor network?

Ta

• Advertisement

only o2's webtexts can be sent internationally

Advertisement