Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

Akula wrote:
    Yep, downloaded the midp2 version. I'm certain the bb supports midp2 and I had it working perfectly before the last upgrade (the one that added support for voipbuster...etc)
    Hmmm, thats a bit worrying (from my point of view).

Here is the previous version of AFT (the one with voipbuster support). Let me know if this version works for you. If it does, then I will take a look at the differences between the two versions.

_http://killarneyonline.eu/o2text/AFT_backup_01052007/aft.jar

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

well i'm not getting the error anymore after installing the older version.
    So definately some issue between the versions.

Also still can't access the internal phonebook.

Akula wrote:
    well i'm not getting the error anymore after installing the older version.
    So definately some issue between the versions.

Also still can't access the internal phonebook.
    Did you do a completely clean install both times (ie where all previous AFT data is erased)?

Were you ever able to access the internal phone book with any version of AFT?

I can't really remember what the major differences are between the two versions. I think its only that the networks section has voipbuster and smsdiscount and also that the choicegroup is a popup (as opposed to a list on the page).

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Akula

Was never able to access the phonebook.

And yes had to do a clean install to solve the error when rolling back to the older version.

Hopefully you get this sorted as I'd love to be able to use voipbuster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Is there a problem with O2 billpay at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The O2 website is down for planned maintenance - therefore you won't be able to use AFT/JSMS/MT to send O2 messages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

doh should have checked there first! Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I was just wondering if it is possible to access the phone's phonebook when using AFT.

I have cancelled my 3 text bundle, upped my mobile broadband to 250MB per month and intend to use AFT with SMSDiscount for all my texts, given that 50% of them are to the UK anyway.

The only issue is remembering phone numbers to enter them into AFT.

I was just wondering if it is possible to access the phone's phonebook when using AFT.

I have cancelled my 3 text bundle, upped my mobile broadband to 250MB per month and intend to use AFT with SMSDiscount for all my texts, given that 50% of them are to the UK anyway.

It is possible, yes, does this not work for you? What kind of phone do you have?

I use SMSDiscount all the time now and i highly recommend it. Works flawlessly with AFT. Saving me a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

dal wrote:
    It is possible, yes, does this not work for you? What kind of phone do you have?

I use SMSDiscount all the time now and i highly recommend it. Works flawlessly with AFT. Saving me a fortune.

I've only stumbled across this thread now. I've been looking like something like this for ages, especially with O2's dire webtext. Can you use AFT with SMS Discount between people in UK and Irl. All you need is a Java enabled phone?

• Advertisement

BostonB wrote:
    I've only stumbled across this thread now. I've been looking like something like this for ages, especially with O2's dire webtext. Can you use AFT with SMS Discount between people in UK and Irl. All you need is a Java enabled phone?

Yep! Welcome aboard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

dal wrote:

I have a sony erricsson w810i and i cant access the phones phone book - but I can save "AFT contacts" and work off them - works but i would obviously prefer the phones phone book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Tzetze

I'm still having issues with AFT through my VF 3G PAYG account. Now getting the message "server unavailable".

AFT is working fine through my o2 speakeasy account though.

Any ideas what could be causing this, or is AFT simply not compatible with a VF 3G PAYG Account?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭okcomputer

are you using a '3' phone with AFT??? I didnt know this was possible.
    I am a bit dim how do you use SMS discount with AFT?

okcomputer wrote:
    are you using a '3' phone with AFT??? I didnt know this was possible.
    I am a bit dim how do you use SMS discount with AFT?

Dal, I have it working. Thanks. It is great.

Firstly I signed up with SMS Discount and deposited a tenner in my account.

Then went to dallan on my mobile browser and downloaded AFT which saved it to my apps. Filled in the details and Bob's your uncle.

The cheapest way to get texts on 3 is to get 200 for €9.99 which is 5c a text. SMS discount I am getting them for 1c each. I have a shortcut from my main screen on the phone going straight into AFT.

I have cancelled my text add on with 3 and am only using AFT. The only drawback, which is slight, is that you cannot hit reply to texts received but if you have the number of the sender in your phone book then there is no issue.

okcomputer wrote:
    Dal, I have it working. Thanks. It is great.
    Great news. And I'll bet the 3 text bundle doesn't include international texts. SMSDiscount does!
    okcomputer wrote:
    I have a sony erricsson w810i and i cant access the phones phone book - but I can save "AFT contacts" and work off them - works but i would obviously prefer the phones phone book
    Are you absolutely sure about this? My w800 supports this feature (as do the vast majority of phones). Pressing the centre button when the focus is in the phone number field should bring you to a new screen. From this new screen one of the soft keys should take your contacts.

Great news. And I'll bet the 3 text bundle doesn't include international texts. SMSDiscount does!

Yeah, my brother lives in NYC, my parents and sister in the North and my best mate in London so my international texts were running to about €20 - €25 per month, not to mention the €10 to 3 for Irish texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

I just installed AFT on a friends phone that uses Vodafone, and it seemed to be quite unreliable. Has it been this way for a while or was vodafone just in ****s last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

donutface wrote:
    I just installed AFT on a friends phone that uses Vodafone, and it seemed to be quite unreliable. Has it been this way for a while or was vodafone just in ****s last night?
    Maybe it's just me but I find it's only reliable when I send the message when I have 3G coverage. It nearly always fails when I use GPRS.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

are you on vodafone aswell? With Meteor it never fails and I only have GPRS

I wonder if this is something new theyre trying to discourage people from using AFT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭( . )( . )

this work on vodafone too?, what's the link for the program?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

donutface wrote:
    are you on vodafone aswell? With Meteor it never fails and I only have GPRS

I wonder if this is something new theyre trying to discourage people from using AFT
    Yes, on Vodafone. Have a Nokia N70. I wouldn't put this past them to be honest.

( . )( . ) wrote:
    this work on vodafone too?, what's the link for the program?
    http://sms.donutsoft.net/wiki/pmwiki.php?n=AFT.DownloadLocations

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

dal wrote:
    I've just come across this thread. I have a 3g vodafone payg phone and would like to know which of those links do i use? How much will it cost to download it and then send messages through it?

rc28 wrote:
    I've just come across this thread. I have a 3g vodafone payg phone and would like to know which of those links do i use? How much will it cost to download it and then send messages through it?
    Not sure how much it costs to download using a browser on your phone because I download it from my computer to my phone (SE w800) which costs nothing.

The actual app itself isn't very big (about 17kb) so it shouldn't be too expensive even if you are downloading using a browser (check your data rates).

If you are using a browser try the jad file first: http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jad

Once you get it working I think its 1c per message on vodafone .

By the way donutface, did you ever get the "from number" functionality working for voipbuster?

dal wrote:
    Not sure how much it costs to download using a browser on your phone because I download it from my computer to my phone (SE w800) which costs nothing.

The actual app itself isn't very big (about 17kb) so it shouldn't be too expensive even if you are downloading using a browser (check your data rates).

If you are using a browser try the jad file first: http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jad

Once you get it working I think its 1c per message on vodafone .
    Thanks, I used that link and downloaded and installed and now it asks for my username, accont name, and password. But I only know my phone numbr and normal vodafone webtext login password, what's my account name amd username?

rc28 wrote:
    Thanks, I used that link and downloaded and installed and now it asks for my username, accont name, and password. But I only know my phone numbr and normal vodafone webtext login password, what's my account name amd username?

Well the account name is just a name that you make up yourself. Its just in case you want to have several different accounts saved on your phone (I have one for O2 and one for smsdiscount)

username and password are the ones that you use to log in to the vodafone site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭Irish Wolf

Ok - I'm pretty close to giving up on this completely.. I can't get it to work for either Vodafone or for SMSdiscount. I sent the link to the program to a friend in South Africa to see if they could use it to access my Vodafone webtexts and they couldn't get it to work either.. Could there possibly be some restriction on my account that I'm unaware of?

Just on a side note - SMSdiscount seems to be a little flaky from my PC since last night - anyone else having trouble with it?

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Well the account name is just a name that you make up yourself. Its just in case you want to have several different accounts saved on your phone (I have one for O2 and one for smsdiscount)

username and password are the ones that you use to log in to the vodafone site.
    Thanks, I've done that and every time I try to send a message it just says:
    "there was a problem sending your message.invalid account"
    Is it because I'm currently in 2.5g coverage, not 3g?

Advertisement