Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭b0bsquish

Wow. I tip my hat to the makers, excellent work folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Does it work for international texts with Meteor too? (They say on their website only numbers beginning with 08 will be sent).

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

>>Thirdfox
    Unfortunately, meteor don´t support international webtexts

>>thegame
    This is definitely to do with your phone settings. Check the sticky in this forum and there is a way to get your gprs setting sent to your phone. I have a k750i so I know that it works for sure.

>> sharkman
    What exactly doesn´t work for you? Is it the same problem as ciaraninfos?

>> Ciaraninfo
    That really is a strange problem. It sounds like a bug in the phone rather than AFT to be honest. But I will look into it.

All requested features (saving texts, showing names in recent numbers, split texts, etc) will be implemented in time. Vodafone support should hopefully not be too far away.

Keep the feedback coming guys, it lets us (webmonkey, donutface and I) know that there is an interest and that this is worth further development for you.

I am away until next week, so I won´t be able to do any development until my return.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

dohouch wrote:
    So the sms I send with this little app are coming off that allowance. So they are in fact free. Geeez.s I hate texting

I think you will find you are been charged 0.02c for GPRS wap, like the rest of us Meteor customers. Check your calls history on mymeteor.ie to see for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Aquos76 wrote:
    I think you will find you are been charged 0.02c for GPRS wap, like the rest of us Meteor customers. Check your calls history on mymeteor.ie to see for yourself.
    Thats why it is called Almost Free Texts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Meteor doesnt allow texts to international numbers so AFT cant either.

Be sure to ring up meteor and ask them for their internet access point, with GPRS WAP its .02c per text, with the Internet access point its 1c per text. Its free to call them (1905) and not everyone knows how to activate/send you the settings so if enough people request, theyll learn soon enough
    05 Sep 06 18:40 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    06 Sep 06 14:17 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    06 Sep 06 14:29 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    06 Sep 06 15:00 0:0:02 Internet Access € 0.01
    Is an example. Remember you cant get the Internet Access settings from the meteor site, you have to call them!

Ill be working on getting the vodafone gateway working on the weekend guys so maybe on sunday ill have something up and running ;)

Any help would be greatly appreciated, so if youve made a vodafone app before and know the URL's please add me on msn, at donut at donutsoft dot net

Note here is GPRSWAP
    28 Aug 06 17:39 0:0:01 GPRSWAP € 0.02
    As you can see, half the price and all you have to make is one phone call ;)

Any chance somebody could give us a bit more info on this setting up the Internet access settings. I rang Meteor and they had no idea what I ws on about. Together with the girl from CS we just changed the APN in the Meteor Wap settings, but that did not work. I am still on 0.02 GPRS Wap

Ask for the isp.mymeteor.ie access point, if they still dont know what it is ask to speak to another representitive or a supervisor. Tell them its definitely there (but be nice about it at the same time), and that your friend got it only a week ago. Tell them its for a chat program that requires it (not too far from the truth ;))

donutface wrote:
    Tell them its for a chat program that requires it (not too far from the truth ;))
    Yep, because if you mention e-mail at all they'll say Meteor don't support e-mail and they won't do it for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Can't get it working on my Nokia 6233 :( it comes up send then when I press that it just comes up with a box saying result...message sending....or else message sending failed.... :confused:
    My GPRS doesnt kick it or anything like that after i answer ok for allow network access. got pp.internet activated on my account too so dunno whats wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

do you know if this program will work on a 3120? gsmarena says it has Java MIDP 2.0. and i can't get it working on a motorola c975. it says message sent but it doesn't send it and says i have nullerror messages left

On the phone to Meteor CS for the third time since yesterday evening and they still have no idea what I am on about. Has anybody managed to get this isp.mymeteor.ie access point from them. If so, what am I supposed to do with it if I do manage to get it from them

thanks guys

Thay have now come back to me to say, they are aware of what I want it for, and that they dont give out information for this "Hack" as they called it.

So to anybody on here that has actually got this info, What exactly did you as the CS rep for.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Thay have now come back to me to say, they are aware of what I want it for, and that they dont give out information for this "Hack" as they called it.

So to anybody on here that has actually got this info, What exactly did you as the CS rep for.
    You serious, they all ready know? Oh dear ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 486 ✭✭Brianb8802

Have you guys tried getting them form the nokia website? Thats what i did but im with O2 so not sure if itll work for you, but the options are there for meteor WAP GPRS, Meteor GPRS MMS, AND Meteor ISP.

Check it out see what happens.

Just click on get standard setting on this page http://www.nokia.ie/cms/Setup_Settings and fill in your details

Good luck

Webmonkey wrote:

Hope not!! :eek: :mad:

Webmonkey wrote:

Yeah, they know alright and the CS agents I spoke to were all dying to know where to get it. They want to try it out themselves.

Surely Meteor would be happy with a piece of software like this. They stand to make an extra €3 (€6 in my case) per month if we all use our full allocation. They make nothing by using the website.

On the other hand people will probably send far less by the normal method.

Aquos76 wrote:
    Yeah, they know alright and the CS agents I spoke to were all dying to know where to get it. They want to try it out themselves.

Surely Meteor would be happy with a piece of software like this. They stand to make an extra €3 (€6 in my case) per month if we all use our full allocation. They make nothing by using the website.

On the other hand people will probably send far less by the normal method.
    No i think it is going to be a dead loss for them. Everyone will use this and forget about the normal texts. I don't think they would be too happy to be honest. Same goes for o2

well thats great to know.
    My advice to Meteor if you guys are reading this, youll be at a loss if you block the service.

I just finished the Vodafone code and is uploading it now (will already work with AFT), so if meteor goes out to block the service ill be the first to move over to o2 as a result. I was already conteplating it because of the .25c texts compared to meteors 1c.

Actually, if meteor or any network blocks my site I will completley open source it to allow anyone to set up a gateway. They cant beat all of us! And theres only like 30 people using it compared to the hundreds of thousands of customers they already have, they wont make a loss from it.

Here is the isp.mymeteor settings btw
    ISP GPRS
    Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.
    But meteor has to activate the actual isp ap on your account, try telling them you are using it for business and if they still dont activate it, ask to talk to a supervisor, if they still refuse ask to ask to their supervisor. Keep going up the chain, and threaten to leave if they dont activate it

P.S. Vodafone code will be uploaded shortly :)

VODAFONE SUPPORT ADDED!!

Right guys I just finished uploading the vodafone support, go to the start page and download AFT from there. If you already have AFT on your phone (that supports Meteor/o2) vodafone will work out of the box for you, simply type in your phone number/pincode and text away.

It took me around 5 hours to code, 2 hours to figure out that I should put in a Thread.Sleep(1500) in the code for vodafone not to error but its fully working.

Enjoy guys, and if a mod can read this, can you please just add ** Vodafone support ** added
    to the start of the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

Just testing with Vodafone, I'm getting 'Message sent. You have <h1>Bad Request (Invalid Header Name)</h1> messages left

No text is received. And I checked online, the number of remaining texts has not decreased.

However, I am abroad using a foreign SIM and GPRS on a foreign network. But that should not matter as far as I can tell?

• Advertisement

Just testing with Vodafone, I'm getting 'Message sent. You have <h1>Bad Request (Invalid Header Name)</h1> messages left

No text is received. And I checked online, the number of remaining texts has not decreased.

However, I am abroad using a foreign SIM and GPRS on a foreign network. But that should not matter as far as I can tell?

Make sure that you have the internet access point set up, else it probably wont work. Youll have to call vodafone for this id say

Ah okay, my mistake

I am also getting this message now, but I am on meteor. Was working fine up to now.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

I have a problem on vodafone. Cud my problem be that I ported from o2 and when will they have support for this. Thankz

I've checked again, I think it's correct.
    The app is using the APN for internet access, not MMS. I can browse fine using this APN also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

The Fort wrote:
    I have a problem on vodafone. Cud my problem be that I ported from o2 and when will they have support for this. Thankz
    Use the login details for whatever website your network has.

i.e. you're Vodafone - use vodafone.ie login details.

Your prefix on your number is irrelevent ...

If that's not what you ment, forgive my reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭paulshir

yeah thats what I was wondering.

I haven't got it on my phone yet but was trying it from the link given on the first page.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Wahoo, Thank you very much
    Just tested it on my 6230i with vodafone and works a charm

The G/F says thanks too.

donutface wrote:
    VODAFONE SUPPORT ADDED!!

Right guys I just finished uploading the vodafone support, go to the start page and download AFT from there. If you already have AFT on your phone (that supports Meteor/o2) vodafone will work out of the box for you, simply type in your phone number/pincode and text away.

It took me around 5 hours to code, 2 hours to figure out that I should put in a Thread.Sleep(1500) in the code for vodafone not to error but its fully working.

Enjoy guys, and if a mod can read this, can you please just add ** Vodafone support ** added
    to the start of the thread

Great to see the vodafone support as well now.
    Was working on it myself last year and yes took me a while to figure out that they required the script to delay for a few seconds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

my 3200 won't accept the AFT app so i made a small html page that interfaces with the script. it'll work on any phone with wap but each text is costing 2c on meteor. does that sound about right? how much are people on meteor being charged?

my version only works on meteor but could be changed in about 5 seconds to work on the other networks if anyone has a crappy phone such as myself but still wants to make use of it
    http://texter.awardspace.com/texter.htm

Advertisement