Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Can i ask if the code you guys were using was using something like Curl to log in and send the message?

and if not, would this not be a better method and not require a server, just a java app that used a phones network capability to run Curl and login and send the message
    (not a curl expert just know it has practical applications in this kind of situation)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Mine uses curl and i think the main aft script uses something similar but having it all client side would be no good. Aft uploads the username, password and message, the server does all the interacting with the network sites and just sends back a number, either the messages left or an error code.

if it was all clent side, the phone would be downloading at least 2 pages from the network site each time so it would cost much more than a regular text

ok i can accept that then, that makes a bit of sense, i doubt it would cost more than a normal text though, if the client's curl script just did the business but refused output data ( like not accepting images and the likes, the last time i used curl was a few months ago but i thought you could say only return text etc etc. )

but a php version with php hosting 10 a penny should work . even a personal version with server and client code so people with php hosting could run their own version and not overload a single server

i have hosting and im willing to test it out. Nokia N95 to test on. there would need to be a java app to send the data to the php class. thats gonna be the next thing

You have to load the login page, the texting page and the message sent page. Otherwise the script fails because the sites know its a script. If each page is 4 kb without images (a conservative estimate), it would cost 12c to load those pages at 2c per kB

And there isn't really much testing to be done. A tiny modification has to be made to the aft java app and the server side code is already written for all networks and is working (except for voda who changed their site today, but that'll only take about an hour to work around). If you're willing to host my php code i'll give it to you no problem. The place i'm hosting it is a free host with a small bandwidth allowance so its no good for widespread use

my code works for vodafone again if anyone wants it. turns out it was all the same under the hood. i was looking for certain markers to see if a text had sent, e.g. the page used to say "the above message is being sent to:". if that text was in the returned data i would return success but they changed it to "Message sent!" so the script failed. its all good now :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

i'll give the script a try

does it have a php version for server and something for the mobile?

I only have a server script unfortunately. I'm waiting for aft to be written with a configurable server ;) hint hint

i've been using a html interface to my script that doesn't cost any more because i have an n70. I'm not getting into why but it won't work for everyone. We'll need that modification

i'll pm you a link to the code when i'm less drunk

@ziggy67, did you not read 1 post above you and realise that vodafone was down for aft?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Doc47

Hi All.

Been using ATF sucessfully for the last few months thru meteor free web texts.
    Meteor were charging 2c per message sent......until now....gone to 4c !!!

Will have to consider moving to O2 who I believe are at about .025c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I'll try to get a version of aft with a user definable server asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Doc47 wrote: »
    Hi All.

Been using ATF sucessfully for the last few months thru meteor free web texts.
    Meteor were charging 2c per message sent......until now....gone to 4c !!!

Will have to consider moving to O2 who I believe are at about .025c

can anyone confirm this? Thats ridiculous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

donutface wrote: »
    can anyone confirm this? Thats ridiculous

Its not going through your ISP then, I set it up on my new phone the other day and sending the texts through wap cost me 4c, when i got it to run through ISP they were 1c and the occasional free one to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

hi guys

has anyone got AFT working on a SE810i through ISP on meteor? i can only get it working through GPRS at the moment.

any help would be appreciated!!

thanks - laoisfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

just sent a msg through AFT using GPRS on meteor and checked online a few minutes later. they charged me €0.03 this time. previously they had charged me €0.02 for sending through GPRS.

as i ask previously if anybody got it working using ISP on meteor using SE810i then if could publish the settings that would be great.

--laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Any idea when AFT will be back up and running for vodafone after their new site upgrade??

as s oon as someone pm's me some vodafone login details so i can test with it then ill fix it, otherwise i have no way of fixing it :) Your details will remain confidential

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

pm sent:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Vodafone AFT still down :(

cupthehand wrote: »
    Vodafone AFT still down :(

he got the login details less than an hour ago. Now he has to change the code of the files and upload them to his server. Despite all the evidence to the contrary, he is not superman

• Advertisement

ill fix it this afternoon, i was out and about last night and in university right now, itll be fixed before 8 oclock tonight (i hope!)

right vodafone is working again

it looks like i might be able to stay on the dedicated server for free for a while too, not quite sure yet. This decentralisation excersise is pretty important still though incase something does happen

well i'll host one of the php server files on my hosting

if we get a java app capable of taking the server location as a config option were on a winner

Is it possible to configure AFT this way?

well i'll host one of the php server files on my hosting
    did you get my pm giving you the code of the php files? and did they work?
    if we get a java app capable of taking the server location as a config option were on a winner

Is it possible to configure AFT this way?

dal says he's working on it at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

Anyones Vodafone AFT not working for the last 2 hrs?

yep got your PM but ive not had a minute to sit down yet, im in work at the moment and i play in the snooker leagues later so i wont get a chance till late tonight or tomorrow

im sure if its working for you then it will work, just the phone end of things is the requirement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Henne220

cupthehand wrote: »
    Anyones Vodafone AFT not working for the last 2 hrs?

Yep mines down too... will it be sorted??

• Advertisement

all working now, IIS when haywire for some reason

Advertisement