Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

anyone know why the 9591 numbers arn't working anymore? whats changed?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

is vodafone still not working? Nothing changed about 9591

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭niallfullback

Ya vodafone still appears to be down for me??:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

FYI if anyone uses a phone with wifi (I have an N95) AFT works fine via any active wifi connection for totally 100% free texts, as well as 'almost free' via all my GPRS/EDGE/3G/3.5G connections.

I didn't read through all the 71 pages in the thread tho, maybe someone else may have already mentioned it.

Also, is the latest version of AFT still the one on page 1 of the thread?

thnx. :)

EDIT: except it's not working at the moment. :(

i just registered o2 webtexts for my girlfriend and tries to set AFT up for her on her Nokia 6300. It installed fine and she is able to text from o2.ie on the PC, but the websext yoke isn't working through AFT altho it was working an hour or so ago when I sent a text from my own phone.

I thought it was either the phone or her new o2 online account, but changing the settings in AFT to use my account didn't work on her phone and changing the setting on my phone to use her account isn't working either.

Now changing my phone back to my account settings doesn't work at all as well, so it's totally busted for both of us.

Does anyone have any ideas?

EDIT EDIT: did I read on another page that it doesn't work with EDGE connections? I'm out of 3G coverage on my N95 and I think the 6300 only has GPRS and EDGE and at the moment it's connecting with the latter on both phones (bad reception area), maybe that's the problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

vibe666 wrote: »
    FYI if anyone uses a phone with wifi (I have an N95) AFT works fine via any active wifi connection for totally 100% free texts, as well as 'almost free' via all my GPRS/EDGE/3G/3.5G connections.

I didn't read through all the 71 pages in the thread tho, maybe someone else may have already mentioned it.

Also, is the latest version of AFT still the one on page 1 of the thread?

thnx. :)

EDIT: except it's not working at the moment. :(

i just registered o2 webtexts for my girlfriend and tries to set AFT up for her on her Nokia 6300. It installed fine and she is able to text from o2.ie on the PC, but the websext yoke isn't working through AFT altho it was working an hour or so ago when I sent a text from my own phone.

I thought it was either the phone or her new o2 online account, but changing the settings in AFT to use my account didn't work on her phone and changing the setting on my phone to use her account isn't working either.

Now changing my phone back to my account settings doesn't work at all as well, so it's totally busted for both of us.

Does anyone have any ideas?

The latest version is at http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jar

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I am using the AFT verison from page one and iam getting "There was a problem sending your message" using vodafone isp...

Is the game up?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭beerbaron

Same here, using o2 gprs

No, the game's not up.

The AFT server through which the the messages are routed seems to be down at the moment. I don't know when it will be back up. Donutface is the guy who runs the server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Dal,

My server is working for o2 again if you want to somehow redirect though Im guessing aft is hard coded to go to donut's server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

I am trying to get aft1.3 working on a new nokia 2630 pay as you go. The packet data is set to isp.vodafone.ie but I get a "The was a problem sending your message"

Is vodafone not working with aft at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Hi

Just downloaded AFT 1.2 now for the 1st time (where can I get 1.3?), but using Vodafone bill pay could not send a text message as I get an error.

Using the Live APN, is there anything else I should do? looks like it might be down for Vodafone, is that the case?

Sorry if the answer is there but didn't read all the pages

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

nava wrote: »
    Hi

Just downloaded AFT 1.2 now for the 1st time (where can I get 1.3?), but using Vodafone bill pay could not send a text message as I get an error.

Using the Live APN, is there anything else I should do? looks like it might be down for Vodafone, is that the case?

Sorry if the answer is there but didn't read all the pages

Thanks

I have had it working on meteor for a long time, but I can`t get it to work on vodafone pay as you go.
    Can anyone confirm that its working or down?

It looks like the server is back up and working (for me on o2 anyway).

The AFT wiki is also on the same server so if you want to check if the server is up, load this page:

http://aft.donutsoft.net/

If that works, then the server is up.

We really need to find a new server. I think currently all the files that donutface created are in asp, so if anyone has a reliable asp server, please say so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Yeh, its been working ok yesterday too on Meteor.

But the Meteor site for logging into has been up and down so fast, so unpredictable, no change there !

EDIT: Meteor site is gone down again NOW for logins, surprise surprise!

Is there anyway that aft could be set up so we could run it off our own servers and if so how could we do this? would it be complicated?

Is there anyway that aft could be set up so we could run it off our own servers and if so how could we do this? would it be complicated?
    Absolutely,
    Donutface has all the server side code written in asp which I think he would be prepared to release. The server side code is also available in java through jsms.

Webmonkey has the O2 server-side code written in php, but it would be great if someone could write php code for the other networks too. I say this because php servers are generally the cheapest.

What kind of server do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Would asp2php be any use?

I haven't tried it, but maybe it could help?

What kind of server do you have?

well i don't actually have a server but would it possible to set one up and use it just when i'm using aft?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i have php code for all networks that's based on webmonkeys code if you want it
    you can get it here, the server side code link:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/source.php

for some reason it has problems sending long texts (>160 chars) with vodafone since they changed theire site but i'm working on it

Aft hasn't been working for days now, is this the longest its been down yet, whats taking so long to get the server up and running again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

still down for me too and the AFT part of the donutsoft.net website is down too, altho the main site seems to be up. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭evoke

Did not work for me on vodafone either. just to let you know. cool idea. hope the big phone companies do not find out about it.

i have php code for all networks that's based on webmonkeys code if you want it
    you can get it here, the server side code link:
    http://cabaal.org/cabbage/source.php

for some reason it has problems sending long texts (>160 chars) with vodafone since they changed theire site but i'm working on it

OK, so it looks like donutface's server is down indefinitely.

Commander Vimes, thanks very much for that php code (and thanks of course to webmonkey).
    Are you running a php server, and if so, would you be prepared to have AFT point to it? Is it a reliable server?

In the short term, I could release a new version of AFT pointing to a different location, and in the long term, I could make the server configurable from within AFT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

dal wrote: »
    OK, so it looks like donutface's server is down indefinitely.

Commander Vimes, thanks very much for that php code (and thanks of course to webmonkey).
    Are you running a php server, and if so, would you be prepared to have AFT point to it? Is it a reliable server?

In the short term, I could release a new version of AFT pointing to a different location, and in the long term, I could make the server configurable from within AFT.

i have a php server at my disposal but its owned by boards user cabaal. He kindly let me use it to host my desktop texting program and i wouldn't like to abuse it by using the amount of data transfer that AFT requires. I'll look into getting somewhere else to host it

remember that the vodafone code has a problem in that it will only send one text, ie 160 characters. it was never a problem for my program because it breaks up the text before sending but it wouldn't work properly for AFT. what seemed to happen was if you sent a short text it would send fine but if you tried to send a long text, nothing would send. I think its something vodafone put in purposely to block these scripts

i found a way around the problem by having the script split up the text into 160 character chunks and send the info to a second script a second script that accesses the site. each chunk is sent in a separate session so the site doesn't block it. i can give you that code too if you want or i'm sure someone can come up with a better solution :)

i have a php server at my disposal but its owned by boards user cabaal. He kindly let me use it to host my desktop texting program and i wouldn't like to abuse it by using the amount of data transfer that AFT requires. I'll look into getting somewhere else to host it

remember that the vodafone code has a problem in that it will only send one text, ie 160 characters. it was never a problem for my program because it breaks up the text before sending but it wouldn't work properly for AFT. the first text sends fine but any subsequent login attempts fail. I think its something vodafone put in purposely to block these scripts

i found a way around the problem by having the script split up the text into 160 character chunks and send the info to a second script a second script that accesses the site. each chunk is sent in a separate session so the site doesn't block it. i can give you that code too if you want or i'm sure someone can come up with a better solution :)

Ok, thanks Commander Vimes. I was thinking it might be a good idea to have the server-side code for both AFT and cabbage in the same place as it would involve less code maintenance.

I will look into hosting the php files myself. I have a php server but I will have to increase the bandwidth. Apart from that it should be solid as a rock (unlike the AFT servers recent performance!).

Ok, I've increased the bandwidth on my own server and uploaded a new version of AFT.

So this one no longer uses Donutface's server (which has been up and down lately) so it should be solid as a rock in terms of uptime.

I have only tested this using o2 as it's the only account I have, but it should work for all three networks.

Thanks to Commander Vimes for the php code.

As usual, get the latest version here:

Jar:
    www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jar
    Jad:
    www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jad

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

dal wrote: »
    Ok, I've increased the bandwidth on my own server and uploaded a new version of AFT.

So this one no longer uses Donutface's server (which has been up and down lately) so it should be solid as a rock in terms of uptime.

I have only tested this using o2 as it's the only account I have, but it should work for all three networks.

Thanks to Commander Vimes for the php code.

As usual, get the latest version here:

Jar:
    www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jar
    Jad:
    www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jad
    Can you make it so that the person can select their own server when using the app ?

Advertisement