Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

My brother's a major skeptic - I've been telling him about this project and he's convinced the operators are going to shut down the webtext systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Hopefully their be media coverage then and maybe we can say the reason we had to go to extremes like this is because they are all a rip off with their text message costs.

Webmonkey wrote:
    Hopefully their be media coverage then and maybe we can say the reason we had to go to extremes like this is because they are all a rip off with their text message costs.
    Amen to that. ;)

I'd say there'd be war if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭wba88

this is class (using the vodafone version). thanx a mil!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

id say the easiest way to get rid of all this hassle with having to sign up with an internet access point is for DAL to rewrite the java client so that it creates a socket connection to the GPRS proxy and does a HTTP GET request to the actual destination site.

Its possible and then no one would have to ask for the internet APN, for meteor it does mean higher costs though (2c/sms instead of 1c).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,684 ✭✭✭david

Tested this with Voda ISP on a 6680, 5 texts and still no charge!

thanks to everyone that said thanks, its messages like those that made the 5 hours i spent on the code today feel completely worth it :) I think we should get an AFT site up. Theres some other ideas i have for services that you can use with it too

For instance lets just say I set up a prefix, say 959
    Then you can send a text message to 959001 or something saying SLASHDOT or whatever and it will send you all the slashdot headlines in a text message cositng you 1 webtext. Some interesting stuff could come from it, but ill have to work out a few more things.

Another one could be a chat service where you could say To jimmy <message here> and send it to 959002, then the program will get up jimmys number from a database (only if jimmy wants to be part of the chat service) and use jimmys webtext to send him a message, thereby having both people remain completely anonymous. If someone is sending jimmy crap,jimmy can block that person.
    Its like that old Eircell E-merge chat service, does anyone remember that? Those where the good old days!

donutface wrote:
    thanks to everyone that said thanks, its messages like those that made the 5 hours i spent on the code today feel completely worth it :) I think we should get an AFT site up. Theres some other ideas i have for services that you can use with it too

For instance lets just say I set up a prefix, say 959
    Then you can send a text message to 959001 or something saying SLASHDOT or whatever and it will send you all the slashdot headlines in a text message cositng you 1 webtext. Some interesting stuff could come from it, but ill have to work out a few more things.
    I had a similer id for a site before.
    I wouldn't mind setting up/hosting a site for it. Better wait for dal to get back though as it is really his program :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

This application is getting better and better!! A feature i would like to see is to be able to save three login id's, one for each operator, so no need to change the login entry when changing from one web text system to another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Getting an error when trying to run on a Windows Mobile 5 device, "Invalid Java archive (jar)"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

While I doubt they'll shut down web-text for everyone, you can be sure of one thing: if too many people start using this, they will block people from using web-text over GPRS. They have ways they can do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

While I doubt they'll shut down web-text for everyone, you can be sure of one thing: if too many people start using this, they will block people from using web-text over GPRS. They have ways they can do this.
    This would mean preventing their datacard users from accessing the webtext facility I'd say ... which would be a no no.

talla wrote:
    Getting an error when trying to run on a Windows Mobile 5 device, "Invalid Java archive (jar)"

Ill be making a windows mobile based version soon enough, it will probably be done this wednesday.

Blocking the GPRS texts is possible as it is based on a gateway, but once a gateway is blocked, then another one can be set up easily. Ive went over my traffic lost and Meteor/Vodafone has only lost about 30 euros from it so far (about 300 messages sent) so I cant see them being too bothered about it for now, remember these people are dealing in the hundreds of thousands and average joe probably wont be using the program unless they have a friend that knows how to set it up

Please note that my traffic logs only indicate that a message has been sent, I dont have any idea if its been sent with vodafone or meteor or who sent it, or where it is being sent to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Hey this program is class, fantastic work, well done!!!!

just got the new version for vodafone...does 2c per text sound about right??

The webtext isn't done via gprs. It is done,well with my o2 one ne ways, over HTTP and then the gprs communicates with a regular webpage that can be changed from host to host like donutface has said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

talla wrote:
    I had the same problem before on my Qtek 8310, but I use the IBM Midlet Manager IBM MIDP 2.0 J9, and AFT is accepted there. Read more about it here: http://www.modaco.com/Ibm-JAVA-MIDP-insane-resultsand33-t235843.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

i installed the app to my nokia n73, and i went to the nokia site and updated my settings, im with meteor.

so i go to the application and try to open it but it does nothing when i try and open it, any idea whats up ?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

dal wrote:
    >>Thirdfox
    Unfortunately, meteor don´t support international webtexts

>>thegame
    This is definitely to do with your phone settings. Check the sticky in this forum and there is a way to get your gprs setting sent to your phone. I have a k750i so I know that it works for sure.

>> sharkman
    What exactly doesn´t work for you? Is it the same problem as ciaraninfos?

>> Ciaraninfo
    That really is a strange problem. It sounds like a bug in the phone rather than AFT to be honest. But I will look into it.

All requested features (saving texts, showing names in recent numbers, split texts, etc) will be implemented in time. Vodafone support should hopefully not be too far away.

Keep the feedback coming guys, it lets us (webmonkey, donutface and I) know that there is an interest and that this is worth further development for you.

I am away until next week, so I won´t be able to do any development until my return.

Yeah , I cant get 0's on the phone/application , even with cut and paste .

I dont know for O2, but for Meteor/Vodafone my gateway replaces 353 with 0 automatically

so instead of writing 085123456 write 35385123456 thats a quick & dirty fix ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

flodis79 wrote:
    I had the same problem before on my Qtek 8310, but I use the IBM Midlet Manager IBM MIDP 2.0 J9, and AFT is accepted there. Read more about it here: http://www.modaco.com/Ibm-JAVA-MIDP-insane-resultsand33-t235843.html
    Cheers, AFT works perfectly now using IBM MIDP 2.0 J9. Really is free texts when using with a dataplan :)

• Advertisement

Webmonkey wrote:
    The webtext isn't done via gprs. It is done,well with my o2 one ne ways, over HTTP and then the gprs communicates with a regular webpage that can be changed from host to host like donutface has said

HTTP won't work without an internet connection in the first place. :rolleyes:

HTTP won't work without an internet connection in the first place. :rolleyes:
    I don't think you understanding what I'm saying here.

The AFT goes though my gateway, http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ Via GPRS and then that gateway goes and does the o2 stuff though HTTP or what ever, not gprs. So blocking GPRS access to their web texts, will not make one bit of a difference.

So enough with your rolley eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Webmonkey wrote:

The AFT goes though my gateway, http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ Via GPRS and then that gateway goes and does the o2 stuff. So blocking GPRS access to their web texts, will not make one bit of a difference.

So enough with the rolly eyes :)
    this is true. the app itself accesses killarneyonline.eu. killarneyonline.eu accesses meteor.ie. the site itself isn't accessed through gprs. the only way to block it is to block all access to meteor.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

hi im having trouble with this, im getting the same error as someone else on the thread, after the message is sent. Message sent. You have <h1>Bad Request (Invalid Header Name)</h1> messages left. im not sure if the other guy solved his problem, i think he said so.

i have a benq siemans ef81 which isnt supported by vodafone, so i had to manually put in the settings for it, so that might be the cause of the problem, but i can access other sites fine like gmail and bbc.

thanks for any help, it would be much appreciated.

Webmonkey wrote:

The AFT goes though my gateway, http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/ Via GPRS and then that gateway goes and does the o2 stuff though HTTP or what ever, not gprs. So blocking GPRS access to their web texts, will not make one bit of a difference.

So enough with your rolley eyes.

That doesn't make you immune: if it became a problem for them (which I don't think it will, as 99.9% of people will continue paying full price and not care), the mobile operators, including O2, could block most of these gateways on an ongoing basis.

Now you are talking about another thing :)
    I didn't say that we would be fully immune, but remember we will always be one step ahead. As long as users can access their web texts from a browser, I don't think there is anything stopping us from emulating this via a script. Ne ways we getting too deep into the technical stuff of this app :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Karsini wrote:
    My brother's a major skeptic - I've been telling him about this project and he's convinced the operators are going to shut down the webtext systems.
    Possibly. Webtext is ultimately a marketing tool for the operators, designed to drive traffic to their Web sites where they can try and sell you upgrades or other goods and services and because all the other operators are doing it.

So naturally if people begin to bypass the Web sites then they may decide that it is a waste of money to keep up. Given that I suspect that if one operator decides to drop it because it’s simply got getting returns then webtext the others will follow suit shortly thereafter.

On the other hand they may accept a relatively small number of deep links (let’s face it, the principle demographic of those using these apps is male, under 25 and a geek) as an acceptable sunk cost.

I can’t see them blocking the apps permanently though. The processes for updating the operators’ IT set-ups are far too bureaucratic to keep up with the counter-efforts a bunch of meddling kids ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

they could stop it by putting in one of those things where you have to tpye the letters you see in the picture but that'd be too annoying for the thousands of people who aren't using it. i can;' see them stopping thye web texts. there'd be uproar

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

donutface wrote:
    I dont know for O2, but for Meteor/Vodafone my gateway replaces 353 with 0 automatically

so instead of writing 085123456 write 35385123456 thats a quick & dirty fix ;)

That wont work as the application wont take that many numbers .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭Explosive_Cornflake

Great work. I got meteor to enable my ISP setting by saying I was working on a final year project.
    I'm on meteor Anytime plus, pre pay. I'm getting charged the right amount?

Image Removed for Privicy Reasons

Great work I have to say. Does the program communicate wth meteor, or with a seperate site?

Advertisement