Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

the server was down. there's a new server running now which is why you needed to download a new one but i've getting the same error. its something to do with the way the app is signed. nokia symbians don't like it

hi commander,

i have this working on a se w810i (as you know :) )

i downloaded the new one yesterday and it is working fine too, using GPRS APN.

question though. is it possible to send multiple texts using AFT? i read somewhere it was but i have never been able to.

thanks - laoisfan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

do you mean group texts? i don't think it is but dal would be the man to ask about that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

do you mean group texts? i don't think it is but dal would be the man to ask about that

yeah group texts. if not, pity.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

laoisfan wrote: »
    yeah group texts. if not, pity.

Currently there is no plan to add a group texts functionality, sorry.

I'll be releasing the source for AFT soon, so maybe someone else will add group texts.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 keithmcgrane

Hi,

In relation to the group text question.

GPRSMS allows you to do this.

www.gprsms.net, download app for your phone.

It's almost the same as AFT, but i find AFT easier to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

the server was down. there's a new server running now which is why you needed to download a new one but i've getting the same error. its something to do with the way the app is signed. nokia symbians don't like it

So there's not much I can do then I suppose, if it's a Nokia problem!

I can still download & install the old version, but it obviously still doesn't work.

Shame... the app is the business!

rcs wrote: »

I can still download & install the old version, but it obviously still doesn't work.

Which old version? Where?

rcs wrote: »

well its not exactly a nokia problem. a bit of googling showed that a lot of apps have the problem with nokia phones but its something to do with how they're signed. changing something in the app would fix it but i have no idea what would need to be changed. all the other examples of the problem i found were from end users who weren't in a position to change the app so i couldn't find any solution

dal, what exactly changed between the old one and the new one? do you still have a copy of the old one where you could just change the url and nothing else?

or did you change anything besides the url in the new version?

The old version of the application can be found here:

http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/backup_21_01_08/aft.jar
    http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/backup_21_01_08/aft.jad

I don't think that there is any reason why the old version should install and the new one shouldn't.

@rcs: Can you confirm that the old version I have linked to above installs correctly but the new one doesn't?

EDIT: I've just made a small change to the jad file which *might* make a difference. Please try the latest release again.

having done a bit of experimentation in the past few minutes i got it to work. i think it was because i was just using the jar and doing nothing with the jad. here's what i did on my e65:

connect it to the pc suite by bluetooth. cable shouldn't make a difference

move the .jar and .jad files to a folder called j2me on the phone. the folder you put them in shouldn't make a difference

open up the file manager application. on mine its in menu->office. i think its somewhere else on the n70 but it does have one

find the files you copied over and click on the .jar. it should install fine

to make sure the problem hadn't just fixed itself some other way, i uninstalled it and redownloaded the .jar through my phone browser and i still got the authorisation failed error.

btw dal, the old one installs without having to go through that process

• Advertisement

btw dal, the old one installs without having to go through that process

And what process do you use to install the old one?

Are you sure it's nothing to do with the changes I made to the .jad file?

dal wrote: »
    And what process do you use to install the old one?

Are you sure it's nothing to do with the changes I made to the .jad file?

on the old one i just typed www.dal........jar into my phone browser and downloaded and installed it. On the new one that gives an authorisation failed error

it probably is something to do with the jad file since the old one didn't need you to download the jad and the new one does

• Registered Users Posts: 11 technojoe

my sony ericcsson k610im dosent recognise it ... help

technojoe wrote: »
    my sony ericcsson k610im dosent recognise it ... help

that's an imode phone. It uses a different kind of java and aft won't work on it. The solution is to get a non imode phone

edit: or get it flashed with generic k610i firmware

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭who007

laoisfan wrote: »
    i got aft working on my meteor se w810i using the meteor settings from the following link: http://www.powermyphone.com/gprsmms.php#meteorie

i only got aft working using GPRS not APN. meteor enabled my APN and i can access the internet with it (1c charge) but for some reason AFT and SE do not like working together using APN, though if i had to bet money i would blame SE. currently working with GPRS and i am being charged 3c per text msg.

good luck.

excellent - thanks! just two questions.. is it the meteor web setup I need to change isp to gprs on? - and how do I go about doing this?

OK I am almost there.. thanks for the help!

what you've said is 99% correct. i've only ever been able to get sony ericsson phones working with using GPRS. but its confusing to use the names GPRS and APN. APN stands for access point name. there is the WAP APN (or GPRS APN) and the ISP APN. calling meteor and just saying APN would cause lots of confusion

ok do I have to call meteor to get something changed or can I change the settings myself? Sorry but I am clueless with a lot of this stuff.. don't mean to keep clogging up the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

dal wrote: »
    The old version of the application can be found here:

http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/backup_21_01_08/aft.jar
    http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/backup_21_01_08/aft.jad

I don't think that there is any reason why the old version should install and the new one shouldn't.

@rcs: Can you confirm that the old version I have linked to above installs correctly but the new one doesn't?

EDIT: I've just made a small change to the jad file which *might* make a difference. Please try the latest release again.

Hi Dal,

Yep, the old version installs fine but the new one is still saying 'Unauthorised'.

I will try the method used by Commander Vimes later on...

who007 wrote: »
    excellent - thanks! just two questions.. is it the meteor web setup I need to change isp to gprs on? - and how do I go about doing this?

OK I am almost there.. thanks for the help!

you don't need to call meteor. enter the following settings:

Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Data Comm -> Data Accounts

Account Name: Meteor WAP
    APN: wap.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: wap
    Login request: Off
    Allow Calls: Automatic
    IP Address: <provided by meteor when connected>
    DNS: <provided by meteor when connected>
    Authentication: PAP only
    Data Compression: Off
    Header Compression: Off

Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Internet Settings -> Internet Profiles

Name: Meteor wap
    Connect using: Meteor wap
    Internet Mode: HTTP (i think this is slightly different on the w810
    Use Proxy: Yes
    proxy address: 010.085.085.085
    port:8799

Menu -> Settings -> Connectivity -> Settings for Java
    Internet Profile: Meteor WAP
    Use Proxy: Yes
    proxy address: 010.085.085.085
    port:8799

you can get the settings sent from the meteor website but i think they're wrong. afaik the only thing that's wrong in them is the proxy port number so you could get them sent from the site and go in and manually change the port to 8799

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

I've tried this on 2 phones, Motorola K1 and Sony W200i. Works great put still costs 4c a text. Should it not be cheaper than this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 UpcomingStudent

cant get this to work on motorola krazr :( any suggestions? keeps giving me the:

"There was a problem sending your message."

• Advertisement

Thanks very much Commander... now only one final question... I tried downloading the link on page 1 of the thread to my PC at home last night but it wouldn't download.. I did notice anyway that it had O2 in the link, so is there another one I should be using for Meteor or should that link work for all networks?

oh and even if it does cost as much as 3 or 4 cents.. that's fine by me!!:D

who007 wrote: »
    Thanks very much Commander... now only one final question... I tried downloading the link on page 1 of the thread to my PC at home last night but it wouldn't download.. I did notice anyway that it had O2 in the link, so is there another one I should be using for Meteor or should that link work for all networks?

That's an old link. The new one is
    http://dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jar
    http://dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jad

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jackie.du

I am on 3pay,I haven't purches any internet add on,as they were advertsed they only charge 49c for 1M,i tried it out to sent 4 msg to my friends,my balance remains the same,3 didn't charge me for ANYTHING. is this normal?

Commander - I am getting an error when I save those links to my desktop and try and open them when the download finishes.. any idea what I am doing wrong? the error states: Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from *blah blah*/desktop

Doh! I just realised I shoulda sent it to my phone instead of opening it on my pc.. ok sorry:rolleyes:

jackie.du wrote: »
    I am on 3pay,I haven't purches any internet add on,as they were advertsed they only charge 49c for 1M,i tried it out to sent 4 msg to my friends,my balance remains the same,3 didn't charge me for ANYTHING. is this normal?

that's normal. Aft only sends about 1 kb per text so three would charge you 0.049c per text. Their billing for data is all messed up anyway. Don't worry about it. You could never get close to 1 mb using aft

you did use it with a login from a different network didn't you? It doesn't work for 3 numbers

yes indeed,i just using three for the data connection,and I did registered the web text with vodafone and meteor,have to say,it's one of the most useful software on my phone i ever had,thanks.
    that's normal. Aft only sends about 1 kb per text so three would charge you 0.049c per text. Their billing for data is all messed up anyway. Don't worry about it. You could never get close to 1 mb using aft

you did use it with a login from a different network didn't you? It doesn't work for 3 numbers

jackie.du wrote: »
    yes indeed,i just using three for the data connection,and I did registered the web text with vodafone and meteor,have to say,it's one of the most useful software on my phone i ever had,thanks.

don't thank me. Dal wrote it. I'm just helping people with troubleshooting :)

• Advertisement

it's also great u r here to helping stupid ppl like me,thank you
    don't thank me. Dal wrote it. I'm just helping people with troubleshooting :)

Advertisement