Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Hi Dal - that works fine as a URL and I get the test message

I'll uninstall the app and re-install it again and then set it up again.

I think I may have used + instead of 00 as my "From number" in my account setup

I'll keep you posted and thanks for the help !

That's good news. That url is what is called by AFT. So if you put the values into AFT as you had them in the URL then it definitely should work.

EDIT: Great to see you got it working.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Quarrybaby

I had been using AFT successfully on my Nokia for ages, but for some mad mad reason I decided to buy a Motorola K1 :rolleyes:

I cannot get aft to work on it, keeps saying 'there was a problem sending your message'

I know from reading this thread that others have had the same problem, but its a massive thread, and I just cant seem to find a solution!!!! Can anyone help?????

Quarrybaby wrote: »
    I had been using AFT successfully on my Nokia for ages, but for some mad mad reason I decided to buy a Motorola K1 :rolleyes:

I cannot get aft to work on it, keeps saying 'there was a problem sending your message'

I know from reading this thread that others have had the same problem, but its a massive thread, and I just cant seem to find a solution!!!! Can anyone help?????

Are your internet settings correct?

dal wrote: »
    Are your internet settings correct?

I think so, well I can get onto the internet and send picture messages.. So i presume these are all the settings I need for AFT to work...??

Quarrybaby wrote: »
    I think so, well I can get onto the internet and send picture messages.. So i presume these are all the settings I need for AFT to work...??

I don't have a Moto (never again!) but I am guessing that there is a way that you can instruct the phone to use a particular connection for Java applications.

• Advertisement

dal wrote: »
    I don't have a Moto (never again!) but I am guessing that there is a way that you can instruct the phone to use a particular connection for Java applications.

Dont suppose anyone knows how to do this???? Someone must be using AFT on a motorola :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

Aft isn't working for me now. Neither is o2texter from here. Is it because I only have 43 texts left this month? The o2 site works fine, just tried it. It's not my net settings because the Java Gmail app works fine. I haven't changed the log in details, only had aft about a week

I tried the url mentioned (the .co.uk one) and it only returned the code 999 :confused:

aphex™ wrote: »
    Aft isn't working for me now. Neither is o2texter from here. Is it because I only have 43 texts left this month? The o2 site works fine, just tried it. It's not my net settings because the Java Gmail app works fine. I haven't changed the log in details, only had aft about a week

I tried the url mentioned (the .co.uk one) and it only returned the code 999 :confused:

Just tried. Working fine for me for o2. It works no matter how many texts you have left (as long as you actually have some left, that is).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

hi,

AFT 1.3.3, o2texter isn't working on O2. is this aft problem or O2 getting wise to this type of access? AFT worked fine right from install last year without a hitch so isn't a problem with my 6230i v3.88. Any solutions out there?

oh, tested using dallan.co.uk/aft/serverside/send.php?u....... and got the 999 error.

thanks

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

jkforde wrote: »
    hi,

AFT 1.3.3, o2texter isn't working on O2. is this aft problem or O2 getting wise to this type of access? AFT worked fine right from install last year without a hitch so isn't a problem with my 6230i v3.88. Any solutions out there?

oh, tested using dallan.co.uk/aft/serverside/send.php?u....... and got the 999 error.

thanks

O2 can't get wise to this sort of access.

It looks like the O2 site is having problems at the minute. It was bad last night as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

jkforde wrote: »
    hi,

thanks

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055264946

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

Quick question. Which is cheaper - Vodafone ISP or Vodafone Live!?

I have been using Vodafone Live! and every day or so I am getting charged as follows for Vodafone live!

Duration - 14:29:32
    Volume - 1.51 KB
    Cost - ex VAT - €0.13

Is this right as I just want to make sure I have it working right. Thanks.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

I have started to use vyke pro last week and worked ok for the first number of days but now isnt working at all, im with meteor.
    Is the AFT application better than vyke as in cheaper texts etc. my contrat with meteor is up and I am thinking of moving to O2 is AFT cheaper again with O2?

mods feel free to move to a new thread if you think its appro

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 371 ✭✭Traffic

Do o2 charge to go online to send messages through AFT/VYKE?

mfield wrote: »
    Quick question. Which is cheaper - Vodafone ISP or Vodafone Live!?

I have been using Vodafone Live! and every day or so I am getting charged as follows for Vodafone live!

Duration - 14:29:32
    Volume - 1.51 KB
    Cost - ex VAT - €0.13

Is this right as I just want to make sure I have it working right. Thanks.

vodafone live charging is as follows:
    the first time you connect in a day you're charged 15c
    i think its 5c per kb after that until you get to 99c
    then it stays at 99c for the rest of the day unless you go over 50MB, at which point it goes to 2c per kb

vodafone isp charges 2c per kb at all times

so if you send very few messages, isp can be cheaper. if you send a lot, live is cheaper
    Traffic wrote: »
    Do o2 charge to go online to send messages through AFT/VYKE?

you pay somewhere between 0.25c and 2c in GPRS charges to send a message with aft if you don't have a data bundle. i have no idea about vyke

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    you pay somewhere between 0.25c and 2c in GPRS charges to send a message with aft if you don't have a data bundle. i have no idea about vyke

Yep, I never worked out the exact charges for O2 but it is definitely the cheapest network for AFT. I do know that I have sent more than 8 messages and only got charged 1 cent (1c for all the messages).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I have been having problems with AFT on o2 for the last week. Keeps telling me "There was a problem sending your message" . My internet settings etc are all ok. Hvanet changed a thing. Its just stopped working. Anyone help me out please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

I have been having problems with AFT on o2 for the last week. Keeps telling me "There was a problem sending your message" . My internet settings etc are all ok. Hvanet changed a thing. Its just stopped working. Anyone help me out please?

Me too, since about Thursday. The message comes up pretty quickly, so it is not a timeout. Opera Mini and Gmail continue to work fine.

ardmacha wrote: »
    Me too, since about Thursday. The message comes up pretty quickly, so it is not a timeout. Opera Mini and Gmail continue to work fine.

The o2 website has been pretty poor for the last week.

i just confirmed that dal's server is working for o2. it's just the site being crap as always

• Advertisement

Havre the settins changed recently Sam as I havent changed anyting since I installed the program nearly a year ago. Im still getting the problem sending message screen :(

Slunk wrote: »
    Havre the settins changed recently Sam as I havent changed anyting since I installed the program nearly a year ago. Im still getting the problem sending message screen :(

Have you got the latest version of the app?

www.dallan.co.uk/aft/aft.jar

Not that I know of. Put this into your browser:

http://www.dallan.co.uk/aft/serverside/send.php?u=YOURNUMBER&p=PASSWORD&s=o&d=YOURNUMBER&m=hello

replace the values in capitals with your number and password. If it comes back with a number (the number of messages you have left), then it sent successfully. A message saying hello should arrive on your phone a few seconds later.

What phone do you have?

I have a K800i. It was working fine up until last week or thereabouts.

I have typed in that address you gave me into my browser and the number says -1 but when I log into o2 website I still have my 250 as AFT hasnt been working since end of march so I still have the full 250 I got on April 1st

:confused:

Edit:

Cheers for all your help. The version on my phone was 1.2.4 or something. Newer 1.3 version installed and working a treat. Thanks very much. ;)

I have a K800i. It was working fine up until last week or thereabouts.

I have typed in that address you gave me into my browser and the number says -1 but when I log into o2 website I still have my 250 as AFT hasnt been working since end of march so I still have the full 250 I got on April 1st

:confused:
    -1 means invalid login details so you must have typed them wrong

Cheers for all your help. The version on my phone was 1.2.4 or something. Newer 1.3 version installed and working a treat. Thanks very much. ;)
    good to hear it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Traffic wrote: »
    I have started to use vyke pro last week and worked ok for the first number of days but now isnt working at all, im with meteor.
    Is the AFT application better than vyke as in cheaper texts etc. my contrat with meteor is up and I am thinking of moving to O2 is AFT cheaper again with O2?
    Sam Vimes wrote: »

Vyke Lite, charging 2 US cents a message, uses about the same 1400 to 1800 bytes as all these applications.

Vyke Pro has free messages between its own online users, charges 2c to other destinations. It stays online and pings the network at set intervals to check for new messages, so could use up a lot more data if left running all the time.

andy0 wrote: »
    Vyke Lite, charging 2 US cents a message, uses about the same 1400 to 1800 bytes as all these applications.

Vyke Pro has free messages between its own online users, charges 2c to other destinations. It stays online and pings the network at set intervals to check for new messages, so could use up a lot more data if left running all the time.

are you saying they charge 2c on top of the gprs charges? in that case aft is better

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭andy0

Yes, they are not free, though the trial account comes with $1.

I recommend Vyke Lite to people who don't have an Irish SIM, as it is the next cheapest option, unless you are willing to check every few days for changes in the occasional free offers on the various Betamax brands

A recent software upgrade or policy change has stopped Vyke Lite sending the phone number as ID though. And their old MIDP 1 version has been disabled, which is a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

Cheers for all your help. The version on my phone was 1.2.4 or something. Newer 1.3 version installed and working a treat. Thanks very much

New version also solved my problem with O2 and SE phone. Thanks to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

They say Necessity is the mother of invention, and thats certainly true here, it never ceases to amaze me the way people in Ireland find ways to save money, and avoid getting ripped off. I never used AFT before, because I was on 3 Billpay when I heard of it and 3 had no webtexts.

Having since switched back to O2 (lets just say, three may be cheaper, but you get what you pay for), who despite their international call and text charge rip-off (wholesale costs are a fraction of what they charge), have fantastic customer care, and free international webtexts.

For international calls, I use Skype, and I have a US SkypeIn number so my friends across the pond can call me if they cant use Skype.
    For international texts, I can use O2SMS from my desktop (or server).
    But neither of these are convenient to use from my phone (an iPhone).

AFT is a grand solution to the texting, only, the iPhone does not support Java (at least not yet). Im working on a webapp for the iPhone to do just this with the view of replacing it with a iPhone native app.

As for calls, I thought I would share this gem with you all (though some of you probably know about it anyway). Skype is all well and good, for calling from your PC (or compatible phone), but I would prefer, to just dial the person's number and call them. The solution, is Rebtel. Give them your friends number, they give you a local number to call, you call the local number, and it rings through on your friends phone. As far as O2 et al are concerned, you're calling a local number.

Advertisement