Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AFT - Use your free webtexts from your mobile - costs a fraction of a cent per text!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

fletch wrote:
    I just did this an am getting the same issue

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52049986&postcount=207

that should do the job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

my 3200 won't accept the AFT app so i made a small html page that interfaces with the script. it'll work on any phone with wap but each text is costing 2c on meteor. does that sound about right? how much are people on meteor being charged?

my version only works on meteor but could be changed in about 5 seconds to work on the other networks if anyone has a crappy phone such as myself but still wants to make use of it
    http://texter.awardspace.com/texter.htm
    anyone chance of getting an o2 version of this?
    cheers

oh and i was a bit of a nerd in my younger years so if anyone wants any help setting up a website for this i'll be happy to help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

http://texter.awardspace.com/o2texter.htm

there you go

i can set you up a login if you want. i have three for myself. one where i enter all the info, one that automatically logs in me so i don't have to do that every time and another just for my girlfriend where all i have is the message text box and the send button. i can set you up the same if you want

each text costs me 2c on meteor btw

dal wrote:
    6610i is midp 1.0. Did you try to download the midp 1.0 version that I posted last night?

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

Give it a go and tell me if it works.
    my gprs connection seems to have stopped working, is this just a coincidence or could it be o2 trying to stop this? doubt they will
    I'll keep trying and let you know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

O2 won't just disconnect your GPRS. Networks may be bad, but they're not stupid.

Sometimes the app won't work as the O2 website tends to go through moods throughout the day - since long before this app was released.

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    6610i is midp 1.0. Did you try to download the midp 1.0 version that I posted last night?

http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/midp1/aft.jar

Give it a go and tell me if it works.
    yeah that works thanks you're an absolute legend

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

dcarroll wrote:
    my gprs connection seems to have stopped working, is this just a coincidence or could it be o2 trying to stop this? doubt they will
    I'll keep trying and let you know

It does look like there is a problem with connecting over gprs right now (just tried on my phone). But this is on the o2 side of things (but they aren't trying to stop AFT).

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,038 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Has anybody else encountered the problem of when selecting a contact to send the msg too you have to select it a second time before the number actually appears. It only seems to be happening on the SE K700I, It seems fine on the SE W810i.

>> dcarroll
    Great news.

>> Aquos76
    webmonkey did mention this to me before that he found the same bug on his SE K700I. It seems to be a bug in the java implementation on the phone rather than in AFT (and I'm not just sayin that!)

dal wrote:
    >> Aquos76
    webmonkey did mention this to me before that he found the same bug on his SE K700I. It seems to be a bug in the java implementation on the phone rather than in AFT (and I'm not just sayin that!)

No hassles at all. I had a feeling it was more of a handset issue that the application itself. As I said it works fine on the SE W810i.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheBatman

Argh. Got it working on the nokia 6230. It almost works fine on the 6131, but just as it says message sent. It flashes "Suscribe to data-packets" and then it says "You have Error in Http operation error" then it says messages left and the reciever doesnt recieve anything.So I know its connecting to the site but its just not working. The phone connects via Vf ISP and has an account with vodafone live. But it just aint happening. Tried it on the 7360 aswell and im getting the same error. Both these phones were bought sim-free and arent availible in vodafones "Wide selection" of sub pair plastic which they have a back log of and want to pawn off on there unsuspecting customers. So buying sim free unvodafonely phones and still giving them your custom just aint good enough..... Phew... Sorry, Rant over.. Any ideas??

TheBatman wrote:
    Argh. Got it working on the nokia 6230. It almost works fine on the 6131, but just as it says message sent. It says "You have Error in Http operation error" then it says messages left and the reciever doesnt recieve anything.So I know its connecting to the site but its just not working. The phone connects via Vf ISP and has an account with vodafone live. But it just aint happening. Tried it on the 7360 aswell and im getting the same error. Both these phones were bought sim-free and vodafone seem to hate us because of it. Any ideas??

account should be set to "Vodafone"

Access Point should be set to "Vf ISP"

I am getting the same error on my 6230i with meteor, So it more of a setting problem rather than a Vodafone problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭fletch

yapyap wrote:
    I have just managed to emulate your error.

See No 4 in my post above for preferred access point. You need to select a preferred access point ie Vf ISP or Value Prepay or Meteor ISP
    Do I need to ring Meteor and request Meteor ISP as the only access point I have is "Mobile Web"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

fletch wrote:
    Do I need to ring Meteor and request Meteor ISP as the only access point I have is "Mobile Web"?

Yes. That's what I had to do to get Meteor working for "normal" Internet access, otherwise you're limited.

fletch wrote:

If you downloaded settings from Nokia, I dunno where you get "Mobile Web"

No point in asking Meteor as their web site doesn't have settings for ISP

Was your phone used on another network previously? Clear all the settings off by going to Menu >> Settings>> Config. Settings >> Dedault configuration settings >> Options >> Delete everything

Go to https://nokiags.wdsglobal.com/standard?siteLanguageId=118 and select standard settings for your model

When they are all installed follow all my previous instructions

Try sending a text. If it doesn't work only then call Meteor to enable the isp. It seems to me it is already enabled when you could download the app, but you need the correct access point to use it and unfortunately it cannot be edited directly on the phone

Okay I've hit a brick wall...I've created a new Access Point and set it to active using the details below but now when I try to send a message I get the "Subscribe to GPRS first" error message
    ISP GPRS
    Profile Name: Meteor ISP
    Connection Type: GPRS
    APN: isp.mymeteor.ie
    Username: my
    Password: isp
    IP and DNS are supplied on connection.
    I also rang Meteor and asked for my isp ap settings as suggested earlier and they gave me this number 010.085.085.085 but I'm not sure where to enter this number......anybody any ideas what is going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

call them again, the person who you where talking to didnt know wtf they where talkign about

for the isp access point, there is no 10.85.85.85 to be entered anywhere. If they disagree with me, ask to speak to a supervisor

donutface wrote:
    call them again, the person who you where talking to didnt know wtf they where talkign about

for the isp access point, there is no 10.85.85.85 to be entered anywhere. If they disagree with me, ask to speak to a supervisor
    So what exactly do I need to ask them?

fletch>> You have a 6230i - right? So which part of the above instructions to set up a Nokia 6230i do you not understand?

• Advertisement

yapyap wrote:
    fletch>> You have a 6230i - right? So which part of the above instructions to set up a Nokia 6230i do you not understand?
    Yeh I have a 6230i.....here's my current setup.

Menu>Settings>Configuration>Default Configuration Settings>Meteor ISP
    Menu>Settings>Configuration>Preferred access point>Meteor ISP

Menu>Settings>Connectivity>GPRS>GPRS connection>When needed
    Menu>Settings>Connectivity>GPRS>GPRS Modem Settings>Active access point>Meteor ISP
    Menu>Settings>Connectivity>GPRS>GPRS Modem Settings>GPRS access point>isp.mymeteor.ie

Menu>Web>Settings>Configuration Settings>Configuration>Meteor ISP
    Menu>Web>Settings>Configuration Settings>Account>Meteor ISP

With these settings, I am getting "Subscribe to GPRS first" when I try to send a message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

donutface wrote:

Can you clarify all this access point business? you've done it so what exactly do we need to ask them and what exactly should they be giving us back.

fletch wrote:
    Yeh I have a 6230i.....here's my current setup.

Menu>Settings>........

Okay if you have downloaded the Meteor isp settings from the Nokia website carry out the following test and report back

Menu > Web > Settings > Configuration settings > Configuration > Account > Select Meteor WAP GPRS

Then return to Menu and press the 0 hard and you should connect to the Meteor homepage. If that is successful you know that your account is enabled for WAP access and that the initial settings are correct

Next Menu > Web > Settings > Configuartion Settings > Configuration > Account > Select Meteor ISP

Back > Back > Bookmarks > Options > New Bookmark > enter http://ea.mobile.nokia.com > title = Nokia.com > ok > back > back > exit

menu > settings > configuration > Preferred access point > select Meteor ISP >back > back > exit

menu > bookmarks > select nokia.com

If you cannot connect to nokia.com ring Meteor and ask them to enable isp access for you, that you already have the settings on your phone. That you wish to access sites other than Meteor

When you can connect to Nokia.com you are enabled and the app should work

The connectivity settings are only for using the handset as a modem to connect a PC / laptop to the internet through GPRS

P.S. There is an alternative method of setting up the phone by menu > settings > configuration > personal configuration settings, etc but the instructions I have given are the simplest to follow.

Okay if you have downloaded the Meteor isp settings from the Nokia website carry out the following test and report back

Menu > Web > Settings > Configuration settings > Configuration > Account > Select Meteor WAP GPRS

Then return to Menu and press the 0 hard and you should connect to the Meteor homepage. If that is successful you know that your account is enabled for WAP access and that the initial settings are correct Yes I was able to access the Meteor homepage

Next Menu > Web > Settings > Configuartion Settings > Configuration > Account > Select Meteor ISP

Back > Back > Bookmarks > Options > New Bookmark > enter http://ea.mobile.nokia.com > title = Nokia.com > ok > back > back > exit

menu > settings > configuration > Preferred access point > select Meteor ISP >back > back > exit

menu > bookmarks > select nokia.com

If you cannot connect to nokia.com ring Meteor and ask them to enable isp access for you, that you already have the settings on your phone. That you wish to access sites other than Meteor
    Okay I was not able to connect to the nokia site, I rang meteor, she sent out the Meteor ISP settings, I asked her to activate my account, she said she would but I am still unable to access the nokia site. I get "Subscribe to GPRS first" followed by "Connection not available"

Any ideas now? I've rebooted my phone.....now I can't even connect to the Meteor site....what is going on?

fletch wrote:
    I rang meteor, she sent out the Meteor ISP settings, I asked her to activate my account, she said she would but I am still unable to access the nokia site. I get "Subscribe to GPRS first" followed by "Connection not available"

She didn't need to send out settings. You already have those on your phone from Nokia. Do not save the settings she sent you. If you have, then delete them, carry out the test as in previous post.

Have you any other phones to try with? Can you test your account with any friends phone?

The procedure I have given you is 100% tested

I rang up Meteor again and this girl seemed to think that it was impossible for the previous CS agent to send me out the settings because she'd have to post them to me!
    Anyway, she resent me my WAP and MMS settings and I can now access the nokia site and send MMS' but can still not run AFT. I'm just about at the point of giving up! :D

fletch wrote:
    I rang up Meteor again and this girl seemed to think that it was impossible for the previous CS agent to send me out the settings because she'd have to post them to me!
    Anyway, she resent me my WAP and MMS settings and I can now access the nokia site and send MMS' but can still not run AFT. I'm just about at the point of giving up! :D

If you scroll to menu > settings > configuration > personal configuration > Are there any personal accounts? If there are delete them first

Then
    menu > settings > configuration > personal configuration > Add > Web > Select
    Account name > Type in "Meteor isp"
    Home Page > Type in "http://ea.mobile.nokia.com"
    User Name > Type in "my"
    Password > Type in "isp"
    Use preferred access point > Select No
    Define Access Point Settings > OK
    Select Access Point Settings > Proxy - Disabled, Data Bearer - GPRS
    Select Bearer Settings > GPRS access point = isp.mymeteor.ie, Authentication Type = Normal, User Name = isp, Password = isp, Confirm Password = isp
    Back > Back > Back > Options > Activate Meteor isp

Menu > Web > Configuration settings > Check that Personal Configuration is selected
    Menu > Web > Configuration settings > Account should = meteor isp

Hey yapyap, I really appreciate all your help but once again it's not working. I followed your steps to a tee but again, I get the "Subscribe to GPRS first" message followed by "Message sent. You have Error in HTTP operationERROR messages left", however the recipient never receives the message.
    Oh and I have 256 messages left this month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ok have meteor and O2, have both setup but just 2 questions:

1. Can you send from Meteor to a foreign number? e.g. Oz
    2. What is your username and password on O2? your web log on? because it doesnt seem to work?

• Advertisement

Big Nelly wrote:
    Ok have meteor and O2, have both setup but just 2 questions:

1. Can you send from Meteor to a foreign number? e.g. Oz
    2. What is your username and password on O2? your web log on? because it doesnt seem to work?

1. I don't think that meteor support foreign numbers in their webtexts (this is actually the reason I moved to O2).
    2. Username is your phone number (which should be what you use to log on to send webtexts on the o2 site). Make sure you are entering the password correctly. What error do you get?

Advertisement