Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courier bikes(Track)

Options
  • 30-08-2006 7:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭

Eh looking to get a job in town.Also use the track aswell.I've been racing on tracks before but I have absolutley no idea of what bike to get.I was looking at surly and dolan.I really want to keep the price under €850!Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭ba

take a walk round cycleways of parnell st. for sure. the specialized sirrus models would probably suit - durable mountain bike frame, racing tyres but unsure about gear ratios for high speeds. even the specailized langster which is marketed towards couriers...? it's fixed gear tho'.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

The sirrus are mostly road bike ratios but flat bars as standard; I get the impression that the OP is looking for drops? Mine (Sirrus Elite) is 52/11 top, plenty fast, very reliable, very happy with it (converted to drops.) The current entry-level model is 48/12 and you have to go to the Sirrus Sport to get 52/12; they seem to be using 12 instead of 11 across the board with the recent models.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭skidpatches

the surly steamroller is a damn sexy machine.

a pure track bike is great for the track, but you will have problems attaching a front brake (which you should really have on the road), and the tube angles are often designed for very little steering, so they're not very nimble in traffic.

you're also likely to want to change the gearing between your road and track setups, i.e. much higher for the track. the miche sprocket carrier system is dead handy for this. just remove the lockring and change the sprocket, without needing a chainwhip.

the trek t1 is a track bike with no brakes, and is designed for the track.
    the specialized langster is a track style bike designed for road use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Assuming you're definitely after a fixed gear bike. Full bike options include:

Specialized Langster (nice carbon forks for 2007)
    On-one Pompino
    Fuji Track (components a bit cheap)
    Bianchi Pista

These are all around the EUR600 mark. The Pista is the only one with track geometry - best if you're actually going to race it. The others are a bit more laid back and manageable.

If you want to build up a bike the Surly or Dolan frames are a good start - but not cheap. Drop into Cycleogial (who stock both) and see what they can do for the money. You could also find an old road frame (mid 90s or earlier) and build something up.

Advertisement