Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Last Word, "Technology" Slot

• 30-08-2006 7:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭

Has anybody heard that clown Ciara from electricnews doing a 5-10 min slot on the last word ? What a clown ! In fairness love, you dont have to try too hard to sound like you know what you are talking about in respect of technology when you have Cooper beside you.....BUT she literally reads press releases on new tech releases and stumbles her way thru the rest of the slot then.

For example today she was talking about the Spiralfrog news of free music downloads but then admitted she didnt have an mp3 player and never downloaded music. Chancer :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I'm not sure if we listened to the same show but she said she didn't have an iPod so she didn't download from iTunes. She said she had another MP3 player and didn't specify where she got her MP3s.

I thought she came across as decently knowledgable. She got (IMO) the most important point across: that it wasn't directly compatible with iPods, which is not something I'd expect on a press release. She also talked about digital right management in WMA files.

It might have been Geeeeeeeeoooorge Huck, but I;m farely sure I was listening to TodayFM aswell on the way home

Wha'chu talkin' about Willis
    o_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Ah no, you're right there Cregser that was her.
    Did she say she had an mp3 player? I thought she said she didnt, maybe she said iPod so, I just thought it was a bit of a faux pas when in view of the topic.

Not sure if you have heard her before but suffice to say she rarely displays any decent knowledge of what shes trying to talk about. In summary, its all fairly amateurish.

Dont even get me started on that orsehole Conor they have on from RITS who is their security expert !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

You will find that "technology experts" in the mass media need.. dare I say.. need to dumb down for the general audience...

Your average boards.ie user is reasonably savvy with technology. Being here means you have interfaced with a PC more than a few times, and the points that these experts try to put across may seem farcical to those who have a reasonable technical ability. They have to reach out to the lay man.

"Click" on BBC News 24 being a fantastic example of this. Your average techie won't learn too much from this show.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

You guessed right Sizzler, I haven't heard her before. I just can't stand Matt Cooper, I don't know why. Hook is just as bad but I find his eccentricities entertaining (Nooose Tawk Won Owh SEX). My Dad has a similar problem as yourself with the sports reader on the TodayFM morning show in that he literally reads the sports report, as if it's the first time he's seen it. After years of doing it now he's actually developed an opinion so he's not so bad.

Back on topic - IMO she did come across as somewhat knowledgeable. Perhaps that was forced upon her from having an alternative MP3 player and not the iPod like everyone else.

I think DMC is backing her up too. I for one am all for informing the layman - it's amazing how backward a lot of people are. And everyone's a layman at something. It takes patience and dare I say... skill to dumb things down enough to be informative while not condescending (Hmm,... the qualities of a good press release :rolleyes:).

Dont disagree with the need for 'dumbing' down the content somewhat but I guess that strengthens my original opinion even more, its so basic that you could get a monkey to do the slot and bluff his way thru a press release and answer dumb ass questions for a few mins each week.

Just makes a mockery of the word 'expert' :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

IMO she did come across as somewhat knowledgeable. Perhaps that was forced upon her from having an alternative MP3 player and not the iPod like everyone else.
    Did you actually mean "knowledgeable" (i.e. disagreeing with the previous posts ?)

If so, fair play......this concept of following the herd in buying the trendy iPod and ignoring the fact that there are so many better options - ones which don't impose DRM - is getting tiring......likewise, iTunes is great, but the jumping through hoops so that you can listen to it elsewhere is a real PITA.....

IMHO, if the girl on the slot has an MP3 player other than an iPod, then she knows her stuff; the iPod is great, but the stuff it imposes on you means it isn't worth the hassle.....give me a Creative product (or anything else that doesn't impose proprietary standards or DRM) anytime.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

anyone know what day or time this is on at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭crybaby

it used to be on every week but now its just on when a technology story pops up in the news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Going by the OP and the time of posting, it appeared to be Wednesdays.

crybaby wrote:
    it used to be on every week but now its just on when a technology story pops up in the news
    Maybe the shows producer read this thread :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement