Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Eircom Incrased their Distance from Exchange???? Adsl2???

• 30-08-2006 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Im living around 5km from me local exchange and i presumed i had no hope of getting eircom broadband so i ordered ibb and got it installed yesterday(no complaints yet, downloads up to 250kbps) Now a neighbour down the road just rang me and said his line is passing n the eircom site so i go and check mine and sure enough im getting a pass, subject to confirmation.

Im freaking out now because i find out I could have got broadband over the line just after having ibb installed. So does anyone know what is going on? I didnt think adsl could reach this far so have eircom upgraded to adsl2???

Please someone i need some answers!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its been 5km for at least 6 months , when did you last check ...try the netsource.ie line checker and see what packages are on offer ...it may be only 1Mbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

ab_cork wrote:

I didnt think adsl could reach this far so have eircom upgraded to adsl2???

eircom use radsl which can reach that far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Sponge Bob wrote:
    its been 5km for at least 6 months , when did you last check ...try the netsource.ie line checker and see what packages are on offer ...it may be only 1Mbit

Netsource just came up with results not available. Houses a fair bit over are getting pass, confirmation aswell. I checked a few weeks ago and got line not suitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The latest Eircom modems support ADSL2...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

it could well be that they simply closed a junction box and stopped the rain coming in ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

ro2 wrote:
    The latest Eircom modems support ADSL2...

Probably because most modems now support ADSL2 and nothing to do with the actual Eircom product?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Afik there is no Voice with adsl2..No test for adsl 2 either once your on an enabled exchange within the distance and on a pair of wires they will provide it... what do You bies know of it?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,835 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

JohnnieM wrote:
    Afik there is no Voice with adsl2..No test for adsl 2 either once your on an enabled exchange within the distance and on a pair of wires they will provide it... what do You bies know of it?

Voice works fine with ADSL2, uses different frequency.

You can have a line test with ADSL2, just many companies don't bother, this can also be true for ADSL, BT in the UK don't do a line test any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

ab_cork wrote:
    Hi,

Im living around 5km from me local exchange and i presumed i had no hope of getting eircom broadband so i ordered ibb and got it installed yesterday(no complaints yet, downloads up to 250kbps) Now a neighbour down the road just rang me and said his line is passing n the eircom site so i go and check mine and sure enough im getting a pass, subject to confirmation.

Im freaking out now because i find out I could have got broadband over the line just after having ibb installed. So does anyone know what is going on? I didnt think adsl could reach this far so have eircom upgraded to adsl2???

Please someone i need some answers!!!!!!!!

According to the Eircom dealer website:

"Extended DSL prequal distance

As and from 01/08/06, eircom are extending the distance from Approx. 5KM to Approx. 5.5KM and lines within this distance will now qualify for Broadband on a “Best Endeavour” Basis"

So an extra 0.5 km ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

skearon wrote:
    According to the Eircom dealer website:

"Extended DSL prequal distance

As and from 01/08/06, eircom are extending the distance from Approx. 5KM to Approx. 5.5KM and lines within this distance will now qualify for Broadband on a “Best Endeavour” Basis"

So an extra 0.5 km ?

Ya that must be it so, nice find. I suppose this just means they will try to the best of their ability to give you broadband but its not guaranteed.
    Ah well, Thanks for all the replys everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭skearon

ab_cork wrote:
    Ya that must be it so, nice find. I suppose this just means they will try to the best of their ability to give you broadband but its not guaranteed.
    Ah well, Thanks for all the replys everyone.

Well two people's line near me who have been failing, now pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

do the netopia 3347nwg that eircom provide support adsl2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

gordonnet wrote:
    do the netopia 3347nwg that eircom provide support adsl2 ?
    Yes

Advertisement