Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insults

Options
  • 30-08-2006 8:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi there

If on a post were talking about or too a guy who has admited he has broken the law is it ok to call him a scumbag or is that not allowed.

This is a serious question by the way.

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

That's generally not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Chonker

Generally!

Can you be a bit more specific, please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

I don't think so. What sorts of specifics did you have in mind? Your question isn't that specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Why do you feel the need to call him a scumbag?

What would your post lack by refraining from abuse?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

An inarticulate man will always resort to profanities.
    Grow young feller and rise above it.

• Advertisement

Beruthiel wrote:
    An inarticulate man will always resort to profanities.
    Grow young feller and rise above it.

Everybody gets angry, Im pretty sure everybody has resorted to profanities at some time or another.

I first saw it used on a site where a guy was talking about some idiot who broke the mirror off his car..... is it acceptable in that context.

And if it is there, why not too all law breakers specially the guys who cant see that they are breaking the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Chonker wrote:
    Everybody gets angry, Im pretty sure everybody has resorted to profanities at some time or another.

I first saw it used on a site where a guy was talking about some idiot who broke the mirror off his car..... is it acceptable in that context.

And if it is there, why not too all law breakers specially the guys who cant see that they are breaking the law.
    Would a judge swear at someone in court?

Gordon wrote:

Nope
    He would say, "Your actions are that of an imbecile, and are so staggeringly devoid of any reason, that I am going to sentence you to 6 months, in the vain hope you can rub two brain cells together and figure out where you went wrong"

Beruthiel wrote:
    Nope
    He would say, "Your actions are that of an imbecile, and are so staggeringly devoid of any reason, that I am going to sentence you to 6 months, in the vain hope you can rub two brain cells together and figure out where you went wrong"

Infuture I shall use that, thanks Beruthie.

As regards insults on boards, it is being done, in what context is it acceptable ie used with the consent of the Mod Squad.

Gordon wrote:

I bet they do under their breath and like wise I wouldnt use it in court but this isn't a court room.

• Advertisement

Chonker wrote:
    Infuture I shall use that, thanks Beruthie.

On your own head be it Chonker. It could be construed as personal abuse in some forums.
    As regards insults on boards, it is being done, in what context is it acceptable ie used with the consent of the Mod Squad.

Common sense should be your guide. Some forums are more strictly modded than others for obvious reasons. Attack the post, not the poster.

Advertisement