Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its F*CKING HUGE!

Options
  • 17-08-2006 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Pics below of the PS3 with size comparisons with the 360 and the PS2.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭iregk

thats also shown without the mamoth power supply!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

They should just rename it the "Jumbotron 3000" and get it over with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

It looks about as big as the first Xbox.
    iregk wrote:

At E3, Sony said it was internal. Which might help explain the extra size.
    Finally, one bit of controversy cleared up. IT Media closed up the interview by asking Kawanishi if the PS3 has its power source built into the system, like the old PS2 model, or if it is separate from the system, like the slim PS2 and the Xbox 360. "It's of course internal," responded Kawanishi. "It's better that way. We of course do things the good way."

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/708/708601p1.html

;)

By the way, some pictures of final PS3 development kits have leaked out as well:

1do1.jpg

IGN talks about it a bit here. Apparently the kits run very quiet and cool. Sony's claim is that the retail model will be as quiet as a slim PS2, which would be very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

that can produce such smooth looking phones, such class looking tvs/hi-fi's, can produce a hideous looking device like the PS3. Whatevers under the bonnet, the look of the thing will put alot of people off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

iregk wrote:

psu is inside the console, unlike the 360... which is why it's so heavy and big...

well, at least you know when your back goes out from lifting it that you really did spend €600 worth of electronics...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

quad_red wrote:
    that can produce such smooth looking phones, such class looking tvs/hi-fi's, can produce a hideous looking device like the PS3. Whatevers under the bonnet, the look of the thing will put alot of people off.

seriously doubt that, look at the original ps2, it looked like (and sounded like) a small fan heater. The original playstation looked dreadful and the xbox 360 looks like a small (p4 gen) dell optiplex desktop. I don't think the ps3 is that big really (the comparison pic of the 360, ps2 and ps3 shows there isn't much in it tbh) and one thing it has going for it is that people will be able to buy it in colours that will match their home entertainment system.

I never understood how microsoft put out the xbox in white as that is the one colour you rarely see home av equipment in.

psu is inside the console, unlike the 360... which is why it's so heavy and big...

Ah very good, hadn't heard that, that does explain quite a bit. Still, when you not playing it at least you'll be able to get some exercise and bench press it!!!!

Still a hideous looking machine but I have to say no to previous post. The PS1 was a classy looking machine. Ok the PS2 looked like a car amplifier gone wrong and the PS3 looks like a George Forman Grill but still thats a side issue.

The Wii, now thats a classy looking machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

sorry i should be specific, i meant the big grey playstation not the small ps1

totally agree about the wii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

looking back at the original PS1, it looks crap.

But I can clearly remember thinking that it looked the **** :D

Up to the PS3, the worst looking console was the monstrous 'clear' xbox. It looked like something that should be beside a hospital bed.

The best looking console I've seen has to be the Wii - classy. Before that, the silver slim PS2 had to be it.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

So, add the 360 psu to the pics and the PS3 isn't much bigger.
    well, at least you know when your back goes out from lifting it that you really did spend €600 worth of electronics...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pics below of the PS3 with size comparisons with the 360 and the PS2.
    Looks like a George Foreman grill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

LookingFor wrote:
    It looks about as big as the first Xbox.

It looks significantly bigger to me. Guess we will have to wait. I think it's hideous anyway, but the fact there will be more than one colour option is good.

EDIT: It is alot bigger....

Use as a scale.

xbox_360_comp_xboxone.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Oh no! The console is big!!

It will fit under everyones tellys so who cares what size it is?
    The reason I won't be buying it is because of the high price, not it's size.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

If its that big theres gotta be something good special in it:P

It looks significantly bigger to me. Guess we will have to wait. I think it's hideous anyway, but the fact there will be more than one colour option is good.

EDIT: It is alot bigger....

Use as a scale.

xbox_360_comp_xboxone.jpg

I'll prefer to use the actual released dimensions as a scale :p Sitting each system horizontally, it's 5mm wider than the original xbox, 2mm shorter, and 14mm deeper i.e. "about as big as the first Xbox." ;) At most you could say it's a little bigger, although its pronounced curvature (versus Xbox's 'boxiness') means that its actual volume is probably smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭acri

i like the look of the ps3. kinda like a streamline old cassette player. anyway, i don't think weight should be much of a factor. i don't think many people carry their consoles around with them.

i'm at a loss though wether or not to fork out for the ps3 this winter or to wait when the price drops. i think it's criminal that we should pay €132 ($169) more for the 60G machine than they would in the states.

i also think that the Wii will fall beneath the other next gen consoles. nintendo took a leap forward in innovation with the ds and it paid off (it's far more fun to play than the psp), but i can't see it working in the console market.

LookingFor wrote:
    i.e. "about as big as the first Xbox." ;) At most you could say it's a little bigger, although its pronounced curvature (versus Xbox's 'boxiness') means that its actual volume is probably smaller.

You cant be serious? it's a good deal bigger than the old xbox ffs!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27668/33274.jpg

You cant be serious? it's a good deal bigger than the old xbox ffs!

https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/27668/33274.jpg

You're linking to a picture of the 360 and the PS3?

I'm comparing the original Xbox's official dimensions with the PS3's official dimensions. It seems a more reliable way of doing it that eyeing photographs that don't even have the Xbox and PS3 together.

PS3 is slightly bigger than the old Xbox in two dimensions (width and depth), and very slightly smaller in one dimension (height).

PS3 Dimensions: Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D) (source: http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/060509ce.pdf).

Xbox Dimensions: Approximately 320mm (W) x 100 (H) x 260mm (D) (source: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemsetup/xbox/resources/consolespecs.htm)

What's the size difference between the 360 and ps3 though? I still think the ps3 LOOKS a good bit bigger than the original xbox, nvm the 360.

The 360 is 309mm (W) x 83mm (H) x 258mm (D).

Looks can be deceptive. PS3's size I think is exagerrated by its convex form (makes it look fatter), and the layered design which makes it look taller when sitting horizontally. By comparison, the Xbox is box-shaped, no layers, not as pronounced a curve etc.

• Advertisement

The ps3 dev kit design is more practical :p Least you could put stuff on top of it! other game consoles, etc.. the curvyness of the ps3 makes the shape not very practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I don't see why people complain about the size/weight. I mean, like some people have said, it'll sit under the tv and probably stay there, the same with weight. The only time most people will carry it is bringing it home. The fact it has internet gaming means instead of carrying it around to a friends house, you'll just play over the internet.

just compared my xbox to the 360... anyone moaning about ps3 should shhh asap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭stev2604

Not buying the PS3 because of its size is just rubbish. Im not gonna buy one but its because of the price!

just compared my xbox to the 360... anyone moaning about ps3 should shhh asap ;)

360 xbox ps3

Smallest first.

360 xbox ps3

Smallest first.

consolesizes.jpg
    not exactly an epic difference tbh

I honestly dont know what problem people have with the size ofit. Sure haven't we had video players under our tv's for years!

My crystal xbox is sitting under the tv and I couldn't care less about its size or weight. I haven't moved it since I put it there and its the only thing on the shelf so whats the problem!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

iregk wrote:
    My crystal xbox is sitting under the tv and I couldn't care less about its size or weight. I haven't moved it since I put it there and its the only thing on the shelf so whats the problem!!!
    Because some of us do have to move it and space can be at a premium depending on your circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

http://www.gametrailers.com/player.php?id=12742&type=mov&pl=game

Seriously wtf? That thing is a bloody monster.

This is the first time I got to see a practical shot of the PS3 as a unit and I cant help but feel that the main reason for going all *no cables* with the controllers is to avoid this 5kg monster breaking the floor by a snagged cable.

If I could afford it I would buy one just to start smackin it and the xbox together to see which breaks first.

Apart from that the controller is allright I guess, I mean its not wow but its functional and looks comfortable. Better then the klingon sex toy they were originally going to use.

No other surprises really all the ports and required holes seem to be in order, it looks like its an upgrade on the structure of the PS2 (switch at back, general shape)

Speaking of structure, it looks like the love child of an early 90's VCR (the ones with the flip up/down cover so the buttons dont get kicked) and a Fridge.

I wait with excitement for the news report of some kid killing his friend by clubbing him over the head with his PS3.

EDIT:

oh 2 more things

1. Whats with the white gloves when taking it out?

and will they come with the PS3 when purchased?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I wait with excitement for the news report of some kid killing his friend by clubbing him over the head with his PS3.
    At that size, you'll need some sort of super kid to be able to use it as a club :p . Still can't make myself look forward to the ps3. Just doesnt seem worth the €599 price tag (especially after the €1500 i just spent on my pc :o )

Advertisement