Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its F*CKING HUGE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Holy hell.

Think of the rent you could charge to live in the the box!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    This is the first time I got to see a practical shot of the PS3 as a unit and I cant help but feel that the main reason for going all *no cables* with the controllers is to avoid this 5kg monster breaking the floor by a snagged cable.

it's so heavy because the PSU is inside the machine, whereas the 360 in comparison has it ouside. though i do wonder how much a 360+psu weighs together in the first place...
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    1. Whats with the white gloves when taking it out?

yeah sony say staff must do that because the console's all shiny and when it's put back in the display they don't want smudges all over it

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

it's so heavy because the PSU is inside the machine, whereas the 360 in comparison has it ouside. though i do wonder how much a 360+psu weighs together in the first place...

I guessed that would be the main reason, but i wonder why having the PSU out is such a big deal for sony? I mean i rather have a machine I can easily fit under my tv or somewhere out of the way and then have a PSU tucked away around the corner by the socket, rather then this mosnter which if the guy holding it is not a dwarf that thing will take up my entire short table (for putting tv and console on) by itself.

Of course its as easy to argue to simply put the thing on the floor. But i like tucking my consoles away it looks neat.

yeah sony say staff must do that because the console's all shiny and when it's put back in the display they don't want smudges all over it

still it looks funny.

I know it looks like i'm making an all out attack on sony, but I'm really only giving my opinion on how it looks, if it looked like this and delivered the greatest games on earth i wouldnt care. Equally I laughed at how the original XBOX looked but it is a beutiful piece of kit (very well put together) though i'm not a big fan of its game selection.

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I guessed that would be the main reason, but i wonder why having the PSU out is such a big deal for sony? I mean i rather have a machine I can easily fit under my tv or somewhere out of the way and then have a PSU tucked away around the corner by the socket, rather then this mosnter which if the guy holding it is not a dwarf that thing will take up my entire short table (for putting tv and console on) by itself.

well if your ps2/360 or whatever fits under your tv, chances are your ps3 would too. it's big alright, but not like a monolith compared to the 360...

as for the psu, yeah i'm not sure why they're so hesitant to stick it outside. it may be simply a case of not wanting it outside where it can become defective (like the xbox recall) through being kicked around and plugs being damaged etc. etc.
    BlitzKrieg wrote:
    I know it looks like i'm making an all out attack on sony, but I'm really only giving my opinion on how it looks, if it looked like this and delivered the greatest games on earth i wouldnt care. Equally I laughed at how the original XBOX looked but it is a beutiful piece of kit (very well put together) though i'm not a big fan of its game selection.

aye the 360 looks fantastic, ESPECIALLY compared to the xbox. though if i ever have to sit through that 360 presentation sh1te about it being in the shape of an "inward breath" i'll go insane

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

as for the psu, yeah i'm not sure why they're so hesitant to stick it outside. it may be simply a case of not wanting it outside where it can become defective (like the xbox recall) through being kicked around and plugs being damaged etc. etc.

Maybe because it's 50/50 (guess) as to whether the outer PSU would be more/less convenient then a larger console. The 360, as it is, is about the same width as a Skybox etc.

BTW my 360 PSU is fecked, now with melted parts.

• Advertisement

monument wrote:
    BTW my 360 PSU is fecked, now with melted parts.

might be another reason to have an internal one for ps3... don't have to case it in plastic and have absolutely no ventilation getting to it...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

consolesizes.jpg
    not exactly an epic difference tbh

brilliant picture. Is the Wii actually that small? Not much bigger than a DVD....

quarryman wrote:
    brilliant picture. Is the Wii actually that small? Not much bigger than a DVD....

there's a vid floating around of myamoto putting a dvd in. it literally is only that size because of the dvd. it could probably be smaller..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

there's a vid floating around of myamoto putting a dvd in. it literally is only that size because of the dvd. it could probably be smaller..

and here it is

http://youtube.com/watch?v=QYNZ90kB2wk

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

might be another reason to have an internal one for ps3... don't have to case it in plastic and have absolutely no ventilation getting to it...

I am pretty sure the console is made of plastic, so if the PSU is inside the console then it is cased in plastic.

And there is ventilation on the 360's PSU so I don't see that as a problem with an external PSU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

quarryman wrote:
    My initial thoughts were "Shit, that DVD's massive!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Hmm... you seem to be over exagerating the effect having an external PSU has on reliabliity. Think of all the Laptops sold to date with power bricks? 100m+ laptops later, the technology and design is obviously mature at this point.

PSU failures can happen regardless of placement however IMO an internal PSU is a bad idea:

-If/When it breaks you must ship the entire console back for repair instead of simply replacing the PSU brick
    -Placing a heat generating device like a PSU directly onto (or beside) a heat generating CPU etc is a terrible idea, heat stacks and will shorten the lifespan of both devices, the opposite of your assertion.
    -As above, needlessly increases the size and weight of the product.. I expect Sony will release a slimline PS3 with the PSU on the outside as a "product refresh" this time next year.

You also mentioned "Xbox PSU recalls"... are you referring the original XB power cable issue? The original XB had the PSU inside, only the power cable was recalled. It would appear MS learned their lesson with the XB360 design.

Matt

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

http://regmedia.co.uk/2005/12/05/xbox360_2.jpg

In the above linked image see the darker coloured plastic around the plug slot? Well that’s somewhat gone.

To be correct, “Receded” may be a better description. I now have a very loose plug slot inside. It looks as if the edges of such are burned.

The house’s power supply tripped, and, so far, the power unit is the only known damage, but I’m still unsure if there has been any damage to the console or hard drive. Emailed MS tech support two days ago. No reply so far. I’ve been advised to phone them.

Edit: Got the following about an hour ago (strangly at the *exact* same time as my last post... just had not seen it)...

"Thank you for your email. In order to respond effectively to your email we need to investigate further. Therefore please contact the Xbox 360 Customer Support team on http://www.xbox.com/support/contact/
    UK supprt @ 0800 587 1102"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Crucifix wrote:
    My initial thoughts were "Shit, that DVD's massive!"

haha, my thoughts exactly :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

remember he is japanese.... theyre tiny. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Ps3 looks monsterous and disgusting at the same time. Kinda like me self this mornin. Wont put me off getting one if i have a job or a valid scabbing argument before christmas. Gimmie moneh!

Just for the amount of cores and the new GTA im going to get it. Wíí would look sexy (er) with the new zelda. As long as its not cell shaded!

About time there was a new console war. IMO the 360 wont have a stump to stand on!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Don't think the size of a given console or whether its pretty or not has ever stopped me from buying one, I mean, since when did that matter.
    Nope it will nestle beneath a buyers TV replacing the PS2 an if they have to buy a new stand or something, who cares, you bought the bloddy thing, hell if you can afford one why not buy a new TV cabinet at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Just for the amount of cores and the new GTA im going to get it. Wíí would look sexy (er) with the new zelda. As long as its not cell shaded!

The new GTA is coming out on 360 first. The amount of cores means sweet FA if they're not programmed right and the game is sh1te anyway.

And then "the 360 wont have a stump to stand on!"?? :rolleyes: I don't think Sony are still on top of things, where consoles are concerned I'm afraid. Just look at PSP, which was supposed to be all that and more and bury the DS. Ever heard of Jean de la Fontaine's "the turtle and the hare" fable? ;)

Oh, just to precise: I'm not getting any next gen btw (or maybe just a second-hand Wii after a while once the line up becomes worthy), and least of all a PS3 from Sony, after all their attempts at shutting down importers. People have very short memories when they see new tech, by the look of things :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭savemejebus

ambro25 wrote:
    The new GTA is coming out on 360 first

I could be wrong but i think it's coming out on both platforms at the same time.Microsofts 'big' announcement was GTA 4 from 'day 1' which just meant that there was no exclusivity deal with Sony.

As far as the size of the ps3 goes, i think if you really need to use the size of the console as a reason for not purchasing it you may have a bit of a problem. Look at the DS, when it came out many said it was big and ugly and the games would be childish and nope they weren't going to get it. They were going to go for the infinitely sexier PSP. Now the DS lite is out and you don't see so many people saying the games are childish and it's jumping off the shelves.

At the end of the day it's the games that matter (and possibly blu-ray functionality if it wins the format war :rolleyes: )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You're buying something for how many cores it has? Seriously? GTA will be on both the PS3 and 360 btw...

I like having a fast PC with a nice graphics card, I love hardware, I love technology, but at the end of the day how many cores something has means nothing, it's all about the games. People seem to forget that sometimes.

I have a 360 and I'll be getting a Wii the very second I can. I will no doubt end up getting a PS3 at some point, but Sony are making it difficult to like them with all the nonsense they come out with (and the stupid price). The size is silly and I think the design is awful, but that's not going to put me off buying it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

koneko wrote:
    but at the end of the day how many cores something has means nothing
    But a bigger number means the PS3 and its games will clearly be better than the competition!

I'm not too bothered by the PS3 design, I mean if it was in my sitting room I wouldn't have it standing proudly on it's own on the middle of the floor for everyone to see but It's not so ugly or big that I won't eventually buy one. It's not that much bigger than the xbox 360 but the 360 looks somewhat nicer.

Regardless, neither are as ugly as first beast PC(which at the time made my PS and N64 looks like they were design perfection and childrens toys with regards to performance) and its horrible appearence didn't stop me from enjoying games more than I have done on any of the consoles I've owned.

I am pretty sure the console is made of plastic, so if the PSU is inside the console then it is cased in plastic.

And there is ventilation on the 360's PSU so I don't see that as a problem with an external PSU.

true enough but the psu inside the ps3 is probably more exposed and has a fan slapped onto it (PC style)...
    Matt Simis wrote:
    Hmm... you seem to be over exagerating the effect having an external PSU has on reliabliity. Think of all the Laptops sold to date with power bricks? 100m+ laptops later, the technology and design is obviously mature at this point.

laptop power bricks don't have to deal with the same amount of power as a 360 in all fairness, and for the cost of a high-end laptop versus the cost of a 360, you can be damn sure microsoft cut any corners possible with that thing.
    Matt Simis wrote:
    PSU failures can happen regardless of placement however IMO an internal PSU is a bad idea:

-If/When it breaks you must ship the entire console back for repair instead of simply replacing the PSU brick
    -Placing a heat generating device like a PSU directly onto (or beside) a heat generating CPU etc is a terrible idea, heat stacks and will shorten the lifespan of both devices, the opposite of your assertion.
    -As above, needlessly increases the size and weight of the product.. I expect Sony will release a slimline PS3 with the PSU on the outside as a "product refresh" this time next year.

-my 360 broke in the exact way you said and microsoft wanted me to ship the whole unit to them. i assume i'll just get a refurbished 360 someone sent them 3 months ago...
    -i'd be fairly sure there's enough fans/heat sync inside the ps3 to deal with a few hours of psu heat. i doubt they just threw it in there not knowing what was going on
    -i wouldn't count on any revised hardware for another 2 years tbh
    ambro25 wrote:
    The new GTA is coming out on 360 first.

GTA is released on the same day for both consoles
    ambro25 wrote:
    after all their attempts at shutting down importers. People have very short memories when they see new tech, by the look of things :mad:

didn't quite understand this statement... ps2, xbox and now xbox360 are region-encoded, so importing means voiding the machine's warranty etc. and modding it, which is illegal (or at least against the TOS). ps3 is not region-coded (for games anyway), much like the PSP... if anything that's beneficial for importers.
    But a bigger number means the PS3 and its games will clearly be better than the competition!

not so much. this gen a lot of games will be out on all consoles together (eg. GTA). they'll probably run a bit nicer on PS3 (i'm sure they could get gears of war to run at 60fps on ps3 for example), but it's essentially the exact same game.

not so much. this gen a lot of games will be out on all consoles together (eg. GTA). they'll probably run a bit nicer on PS3 (i'm sure they could get gears of war to run at 60fps on ps3 for example), but it's essentially the exact same game.
    I wasn't exactly being serious with that comment...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I hope that's sarcasm.

I agree with koneko 100%

it doesn't matter how powerful any console is, it can be the most powerfull console known to man yet have no good games/ games that just do the same thing over and over and over just with improved graphics. If you are willing to accept tired old genres with improved graphics fine. I am not

So when people say processor this and HDTV that I couldn't care less.

The proof of that is the success of the DS and xbox live arcade. Simple things done well are a lot more fun than complicated things done badly.

I hope Sony do it right and have loads of little downloads that are free. Good games which bring something new to this gen of consoles and do something worthwhile with all that power. I am skeptical though as after all it is Sony.

If the PS3 has exclusive games that interest me i will buy it. If their online component is better than live i will buy one.

I will not buy one because of Cell, 1080p or Blue Ray. I don't have a TV capable of displaying 1080p and the only thing I will probably ever own blue ray will be PS3 games.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

didn't quite understand this statement... ps2, xbox and now xbox360 are region-encoded, so importing means voiding the machine's warranty etc. and modding it, which is illegal (or at least against the TOS). ps3 is not region-coded (for games anyway), much like the PSP... if anything that's beneficial for importers.

Think he's referring to something else. I vaguely remember a situation with the PSP and Sony going after companies like Lik-Sang and Play-Asia who were selling PSPs (Japanese) to people (like me).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

-i'd be fairly sure there's enough fans/heat sync inside the ps3 to deal with a few hours of psu heat. i doubt they just threw it in there not knowing what was going on

None of us can know these things. In fairness there could easily be a problem with any PS3 hardware. MS hardly released crap power supplies for the fun of it. Mistakes happen and Sony's history is not spotless.

I am not defending MS I am just stating that to say MS have crap power supplies and Sony will have good ones without the console even being released is a bit fanboy'ish

I don't care if its in or out as long as it works!!

Didn't Sony look into a system that if I bought a game and played in on my console it would play on no one elses. Sony have been in big trouble over their methods of preventing cd piracy haven't they.

Some games on the 360 are region free.

I am not defending MS in anyway in any if these posts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i dont see how the size or appearance of a console make a difference, like the xbox1 was one ugly huge bastard but still a great console. ps3 may look like sh.ite but it could still be great and isnt that all that matters ?

Vegeta wrote:
    I hope that's sarcasm.
    As above, statement's not serious, I'm not all that bothered when it comes to the power of what I play my games on. Up until last year I was playing pc games on a 1.4 ghz athlon with a radeon 9550, even then I only upgraded on an impulse on my first(proper) payday, I also play my DS and gamecube far more than the other machines I have, only one of which is less powerful.
    Vegeta wrote:
    I am not defending MS I am just stating that to say MS have crap power supplies and Sony will have good ones without the console even being released is a bit fanboy'ish
    Defending a console that hasn't been released yet so strongly without any experience of it at all while slating its main competition(if you listen to the marketing people anyway) without backing it up at all is more than a bit faboy'ish...

I just read back through the first few pages of this thread, format arguments are hilarious :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Vegeta wrote:

Exactly - Sony supplied the famous laptop batteries to Dell and Apple - The millions that were recalled only weeks ago for potential kerploding issues.

I'll be staying clear of the PS3 not because of looks but because i've become anti Sony in recent months for their dirty way of doing business. I disapproved of them blocking cross region PSP sales but I could understand their logic - but since they were found putting rootkit ontotheir music CDs to disable copying which turned out a major security breach I decided to not buy Sony again.

See here for rootkit stories: (history of links in top right) http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4456970.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

koneko wrote:
    You're buying something for how many cores it has? Seriously? GTA will be on both the PS3 and 360 btw...

Im buying it because if these guys can make the processing power useful, and if similar dev kits are released like the 360's (for a fee of course).

Imagine doing some audio or video editing then!! Or a bunch of ps3s networked to act as a server. Homebrew is the way to go IMO. We have all seen what we can do with original xbox (albeit hacked) software.

But im having a daydream tbh. But if they want to compete, they'll release dev kits.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3
    Because we have plans for having Linux on board [the PS3], we also recognize Linux programming activities… Other than game studios tied to official developer licenses, we'd like to see various individuals participate in content creation for the PS3.
    ambro25 wrote:
    and the game is sh1te anyway.

BLASHPHEM!!!

Advertisement