Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Its F*CKING HUGE!

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Imagine doing some audio or video editing then!!
    Don't you need alot of ram for that...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

didn't quite understand this statement... ps2, xbox and now xbox360 are region-encoded, so importing means voiding the machine's warranty etc. and modding it, which is illegal (or at least against the TOS). ps3 is not region-coded (for games anyway), much like the PSP... if anything that's beneficial for importers.

Koneko is right (but your 'partial recollection' just typifies what I posted: people have short memories with anything 'Sony' ;) ). I would never blame Sony for attempting to stop game piracy, which is a legitimate and laudable goal. I am however blaming Sony for disguising their attempts to shut down grey importing as attempting to stop game piracy. At least Nintendo had the kudos to call a spade a spade, when they were trying to do it themselves years before.

The (patented) system to which Vegeta refers is one attempt at solving the problem: if this system is implemented in real-life (as in: in PS3 and its games), it will stop second-hand PS3 game trade dead in its tracks.

The most likely reason Sony won't implement it? If I had the choice between a 360 with comparable-enough graphics to a PS3 and for which I can buy 2nd-hand games cheaper, and a PS3 for which I have to pay €70 or more per game and can't buy 2nd-hand games cheaper, which do you think I'd fork out for? :rolleyes:
    BLASHPHEM!!!

If you didn't take my words out of context, you wouldn't look such the fanboy :D
    ambro25 wrote:
    The amount of cores means sweet FA if (1) they're not programmed right and (2) the game is sh1te anyway.

(additional edits in bold, to facilitate your impaired comprehension)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Weell, partial recollection, I remembered the incident but a wee bit fuzzy on the details in case there was something I missed ;)

With the second-hand games thing, I'm not sure if that was fully true. It could have been a rumour, an urban legend, and Sony never considered it, but it's people spreading lies.

Or, Sony considered it, put out the feelers (ie viral marketing/whispers), saw the public reaction and decided against it. They replied to Eurogamer (I think) months ago saying that rumour wasn't true. Whether it was at any point is a mystery. I think it's possible, but I think Sony don't want to piss game-stores off either, and they make a lot of their money from selling trade-ins.

koneko wrote:
    With the second-hand games thing, I'm not sure if that was fully true. It could have been a rumour, an urban legend, and Sony never considered it, but it's people spreading lies.

It appears true enough alright. Point your browser here and/or here for example.

Conceptually, it's no different than the WinXP activation used by M$, which locks your OS to your PC based on its defining features (CPU, mobo, gfx, hdd, etc, etc.). But then when you sell your PC off, you sell XP with it or when you upgrade your WinOS, you don't go to a shop and trade in ME for XP, or XP for Vista, do you? ;)

Wow, yeah that sucks. I'll try and dig up that Eurogamer (or whatever it was) news article, to see what Sony said exactly. It was something like "no that was just a rumour, never true". Stupid Sony.

Oh and on that note (well, sorta) lol at Yamauchi's comments:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=67216

Also lol at some of the blatant fanboyism I've been seeing recently from certain people, but that's a whole different topic...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

The size, shape, colour, taste or smell of a console means very little to me. Unless it's a handheld, in which case size is important.

So if a manufacturer released a console that was say.. the shape of a pig, I would buy it if it had cool games on it.

I would buy a console shaped like a pig even if it didn't have any good games. That sounds like a killer idea.

/goes off to patent pig-console idea

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

ambro25 wrote:
    Conceptually, it's no different than the WinXP activation used by M$, which locks your OS to your PC based on its defining features (CPU, mobo, gfx, hdd, etc, etc.). But then when you sell your PC off, you sell XP with it or when you upgrade your WinOS, you don't go to a shop and trade in ME for XP, or XP for Vista, do you? ;)
    It's very different, with XP I can take my install CD and to a repair install with it on someone elses machine, I could also install windows on that machine with my CD and use their CD key. If it were the same it would be a case of me being unable to use my windows CD at any other computer. Locking a game to one console would be far more ridiculous than simply preventing you from using certain features like the windows copy protection(theoretically) does. What about bringing a game to a friends place where there are a bunch more controller/people to play with? It would be a different matter if the games weren't ridiculously expensive like PS3 games are likely to be. I'd almost forgive this sort of thing if it left the game in a not fully featured state, like with the DS transferrable demos. But this doesn't matter, since sony said they wouldn't do it, and I'm going to trust them on that until there's hard proof to contradict that.

I agree, pig shaped console good.

koneko wrote:
    Also lol at some of the blatant fanboyism I've been seeing recently from certain people, but that's a whole different topic...

Hope that weren't mine :o

I'm quite happy Sony-bashing atm, but have been known to bash Ninty, Sega, M$ and others just the same when the occasion calls for it (I've been playing 20-odd years or more now, and owned pretty much every system ever released by anyone :) - I can't help it if, over the years, it turns out that I always go/come back to Ninty :D ).
    It's very different, with XP I can take my install CD and to a repair install with it on someone elses machine, I could also install windows on that machine with my CD and use their CD key.

Yes, but there has never been any CD Key with games, is there? That's what Sony's system is supposedly doing: for the first time, implement a CD key on a console.

A PS1, PS2, PS3, GC, Wii, etc. game on CD/DVD doesn't stay in the console when you switch it off, so it's not so much a problem of 'multiple unauthorised installs', which is what WinXP authorisation is designed to prevent: if you've ever had to format/reinstall XP on your PC after a substantial upgrade (e.g. faster chip or bigger HDD or different-brand HDD or second HDD or different gfx card or...), you'll know what I mean: you're fully legit, yet your licensed WinXP still won't validate because it thinks you're trying to install on a different PC :eek:

No, in this case, on the contrary it's more a problem of 'multiple unauthorised uses'. So, it's to be assimilated to DRMs: you've paid your dues for using the game (same as when you buy a CD, what you're really buying is the right to listen to the artist, i.e. using the music), but Mr Sony will also tell you how/where you're supposed to use it -in your console and that's it- (same as when you buy online DRM'd music on CD, you can play it in a CD player but not rip it to play it with your mp3 player - that last one is a Sony one btw ;))

I've not seen the patent, but it wouldn't take me long to find it. All the same, it's quite easy to envisage how Sony would do it, especially (and it's only possible from this coming generation because-) now that consoles are 'automatically' online.

My €s tell me that the way they might do this, is if the PS3 firmware has a 'snitch module' and maintains a table of games owned by its proprietor.

The first time a game DVD is used after leaving the factory, the PS3 firmware reads some unique ID/CD key on the DVD and sends it online at some Sony server where it is archived along with the console's own unique ID. The server might return an 'authorisation' key or whatever other data to the PS3, and the game is now stored in the 'table of games' in the PS3 with its unique DVD key and authorisation code or whatever.

Every subsequent boot of the game DVD in the 'right' console is fine (doesn't need to check online, after the above). But if you boot it in another console, again follow the above 'registration' at first use of the game = the server doesn't validate/doesn't send the 'authorisation' key or whatever other data to that second PS3, because it already has another PS3 unique ID associated with the DVD unique ID. Bang-o, you're f*cked, game won't run.
    Locking a game to one console would be far more ridiculous than simply preventing you from using certain features like the windows copy protection(theoretically) does. What about bringing a game to a friends place where there are a bunch more controller/people to play with? It would be a different matter if the games weren't ridiculously expensive like PS3 games are likely to be.

Exactly.
    But this doesn't matter, since sony said they wouldn't do it, and I'm going to trust them on that until there's hard proof to contradict that.

Good of you to trust them, and that's your prerogative. I have chosen not to, 'until there's hard proof to contradict that', and that's my prerogative ;)

ambro25 wrote:
    Hope that weren't mine :o

Hehe, nope, not you, don't worry ;)
    Good of you to trust them, and that's your prerogative. I have chosen not to, 'until there's hard proof to contradict that', and that's my prerogative ;)

They'd really be shooting themselves in the footsies with a move like that, but you never know with Sony. Here's hoping they stick to their promise and don't implement it.

Found that news-article on Eurogamer btw:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=65127

• Advertisement

koneko wrote:
    They'd really be shooting themselves in the footsies with a move like that

That they would, and they probably know it, which is why I've stated that it's unlikely they'll implement it.

But there are also quite a number of factors to bear in mind, reasons why they would do this, which can't be dismissed out of hand. To begin with, the amount of cash they're going to need to make from HW/Game sales to recoup the HW R&D costs and the game development costs for this coming generation: don't know if any of ye lot has a look at stats every now and then, but you're looking at the wrong end of €25 million + for a PS3 AA/AAA title, before the first one hit the shelves in Game or EB or the warehouse at Play Asia... That's an awful lot of €70 DVDs to shift before the balance sheet leaves the red.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

ambro25 wrote:
    It's more a case of me burying my head in the sand and hoping everything will be well by the time i decide to bring it back out :)

If something like this does come about I will be one unhappy chappy, but I wouldn't put it past any company who are shovelling so much money into a project.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

But im having a daydream tbh.
    Obviously i was having a daydream
    BLASHPHEM!!!

You see, right there i was joking, however out of context it seemed.
    Didnt mean to come across as a "fanboy".

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

But there are also quite a number of factors to bear in mind, reasons why they would do this, which can't be dismissed out of hand. To begin with, the amount of cash they're going to need to make from HW/Game sales to recoup the HW R&D costs and the game development costs for this coming generation: don't know if any of ye lot has a look at stats every now and then, but you're looking at the wrong end of €25 million + for a PS3 AA/AAA title, before the first one hit the shelves in Game or EB or the warehouse at Play Asia... That's an awful lot of €70 DVDs to shift before the balance sheet leaves the red.

I cant help but think of the nice big studio crash of hollywood in the early 60's when reading this. All those lovely epics that no one wanted to watch.

Throw in the building momentom of internet distribution and I think the next stage of computer gaming should be enjoyed from a distance...a very long distance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hopefully it will bring in an era of original indie games selling well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Hopefully it will bring in an era of original indie games selling well.

I second that

Advertisement