Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

#Electric Picnic#

• 30-08-2006 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭

Any Jungle or DrumNBass acts at EP this year?

.logic.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Post all your EP stuff in here,who ya most looking forward to seeing?Will it live up to being hailed as being one of the best festivals in Europe by some people?Will the horrible Irish weather be kind to us just once?,etc,etc,etc.

Personally im really excited about seeing New Order ive always liked them but amazingly enough never seen them live before same as the Pet Shop Boys,i grew up listening to them(showing me age here:o ) not to mention Groove Armada another fantastic act im really looking forward to seeing,and of course the legendary Massive Attack and my fav band Basement Jaxx and Laurent Garnier.

Not just the big names im looking forward to some of the smaller acts as well ill definitely check them out,not been @ a 3 day festival in years,will be checking the cinema too,etc,so is everyone prepared?
    Have to get the rest of my gargle tomorrow evening,food,etc and see a man about a dog;) and that's me set,taxi to work Friday morning with all my stuff ,half day meet friends in pub close to my job and away we go getting a lift down in a van thankfully id hate to have to travel public transport carrying all that gear,this has the makings of being the festival of the year,lets hope the weather is kind to us but im going prepared anyway,ill have as ever my camera with me for some snaps and vids,anyway hope everyone has a deadly time :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,583 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Check these guys too Jonny

DJ Grasshoppas DJ Big Band

12 DJ's, one sax, one vocallist.

playing 2pm Sunday of electric picnic. Defo goin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B6M2lK5LH0

Other stuff I defo I wanna see..

Francois K
    Garnier
    Switch
    Dancepig
    Massive Attack
    Bodytonic Sound System (have a feelin they gonna rock the finish on Fri)
    Mogwai
    Nathan Fake
    Metro Area
    Elbow
    Coldcut
    DJ Shadow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

The acts I'm looking forward to the most;

New Order (legends!)
    Fish Go Deep (haven't seen them in ages now)
    Bodytonic Soundsystem (same reason as Kev)
    Dancepig (superb dj and producer from what i've heard)
    Andrew Weatheral (missed him in Galway recently :()
    Hystereo (digging their album)
    2 many djs (preferred sneak last year, but they seem to have a 2 hour set this time around)
    Alabama 3 (perfect sunday afternoon tunage)
    Francois K (legend)

Warlords of Pez (just because i've got a mate called pez :D)

that's less than half of the names i really want to see:)
    like Jonny, i'll be bringing my camera and 3GB of sd cards to fill up.
    hopefully i manage to get a go on the hot air baloon at some stage... doubt it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

dj shadow
    garnier
    2 many djs
    hot chip!
    new order
    bloc party
    yeah yeah yeahs
    super furry animals
    belle & sebastian
    neo super vital
    The rapture

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Friday
    01.00-01.45 Redneck Manifesto (Big Tree)
    22.00-23.30 Damien Rice (Electric)
    22.00-22.45 David Kitt (Big Tree)
    20.45-21.45 Amp Fiddler (Crawdaddy)
    20.15-21.15 Mogwai (Electric)
    20.00-21.30 Fish Go Deep (Bodytonic)
    17.45-18.20 Jape (Big Tree)
    16.00-16.20 Damien Rice & Lisa Hannigan (Big Tree)

Satuday
    00.00-02.00 Groove Armada (Main)
    23.00-00.00 Graham Coxon (Crawdaddy)
    23.00-00.00 Super Furry Animals Acoustic Bingo (Foggy)
    21.30-22.30 Yo La Tengo (Foggy)
    20.45-22.00 Belle & Sebastian (Electric)
    20.15-21.15 Bloc Party (Main)
    19.45-20.45 Zombie Nation (Bodytonic)
    19.30-20.30 Gang of Four (Crawdaddy)
    18.45-20.00 DJ Shadow (Electric)
    18.30-19.30 Super Furry Animals (Main)
    18.00-18.45 David Kitt (Crawdaddy)
    15.15-16.15 Gary Numan (Electric)
    13.00 Nic James & Genie (B-Bar)

Sunday
    22.45-23.45 Modeselektor (Foggy)
    22.30-00.00 Basement Jaxx (Main)
    21.15-22.30 Pet Shop Boys (Electric)
    21.00-22.30 Tiefschwarz (Bodytonic)
    18.00-19.00 The Rapture (Electric)
    17.15-18.15 Elbow (Main)
    17:00-17:45 Richard Hawley (Crawdaddy)
    16.30-17.15 Hot Chip (Electric)
    16.00-16.25 Neosupervital (Big Tree)
    15.30-16.30 Metro Area (Bodytonic)
    13.45-14.45 Alabama 3 (Main)

thatll do me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭bongo85

Yeah Pendulum are playing on Sunday I think.. Not sure if they'll be playing DnB though....

You'd wanna head to the Barcardi Live Tent on Saturday at 1pm for some Jungle / Drum & Bass ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭BACKLASH

i'm looking forward to Backlash DJs in Bodytonic on
    Saturday, 6.30 - 7.15

Thanks

Backlash!

Just back a few hours still fcuked here , man that was the best festival ive ever been to,id go as far as to say the best festival in Europe absolutely top class and everyone so friendly,have some deadly photos and videos ill upload tomorrow when ive fully come around.

Anyway here's my review of the EP 2006.

Friday we arrived that afternoon and chilled out drinking for a while,went to the Bodytonic tent where the Stereotonic DJ's i think it was were on,they sounded pretty good,we went off then on a walkabout as you do,then back to the Bodytonic tent for Todd Terje who i mistakenly took to be TODD TERRY the legendary American DJ but it wasn't they are like a band but they play some pretty cool stuff and it was good,we then went to the Barcadi B Live tent where Giles Peterson i think it was playing,sounded pretty cool indeed the crowd there were on top form,come about 11.20 we made our way to the main stage and caught Massive Attack who were abolutely amazing,they were top class one of the best performances ive seen them,played all the classics and one or two new numbers,great session.
    When Massive Attack were finished we wernt back to the Bodytonic tent where Bodytonic Sound System were playing and i was really impressed by them,played a great set and the crowd were loving it,great atmosphere indeed.Then went back to the car park were we were staying and got completly wasted with the music pumping (we were fcuked already anyway :D ) eventually crawled into me tent around 8.30am.

Saturday everyone was fcuked after Friday so we didn't get going until mid afternoon,went in and had a walk around,man that body and soul village is absolutely amazing it's like woodstock or something so chilled and peaceful,i got a 15 mins neck and shoulder massage for €10 and it was seriously money well spent,spend a while there then went to thr Barcadi B live tent which was brilliant,some DJ called John Mahon was on and he played a great set,we were getitng stuck into the Mojitos and BLives and this stage €7 a pop must have spent over €70 there in a few hours,Mark Greene & Tom Beary were on next and they too were really good played a super selection of funk and chilled out house,really good vibe in the place as everyone danced away.
    Went back to Bodytonic and caught Krafty Kuts who were really good played some mashed up breakbeat and the crowd loved it.
    Back to the tents to pick up more gargle and supplies then back to Bodytonic where Radio Soulwax Presents NITEVERSIONS were on,didn't think they were that good to be honest bit boring.Left @ 9.55 to catch New order in the main arena and man what a show they put on,the highlight of the festival for me they were brilliant and as good as i expected them to be,we were buzzing by the time Groove Armada came on and they too were brilliant they put on a great show,super stuff,after that we went back to Bodytonic to catch the end of 2 Many DJ's but the tent was too mobbed so we didn't stay long and just headed off to a party in the car park which was kicking all nite,eventually somehow crawled back to the tent at fcuk knows what time the following morning.

That afternoon back into the festival went into that Foggy notions arena but wasnt' my style so left back to the amazing body and soul village for another look,there were these hippys playing acoustic guitars while everyine sat around smoking joints,class,lovely and chilled.
    Caught the last half an hour of Gary Numan in the Electric Arena and i thought he was really good,played some vintage tunes like cars,etc,older crowd there as the younger ones wouldn't have heard of him.
    Back to Barcadi B Live to catch Switch never heard of him before but he played a deadly set including some Acid House classics,really good ill look out for this guy again.Then caught a bit of Coldcut in Bodytonic who were really good,caught some DJ Shadow in the electric tent but a massive disapointment there not good at all i thought.
    Back to the tent for a while to get more supplies,back then we discovered the Launderratas tent which is liike a 1950's rock and roll type place,it was really cool and funny had a laugh there for a while then back to catch Layo and Bushwacka who were id say just alright,they played some good tunes then played some boring minimal stuff which was disapointing,i was suprised they didn't play there classic track Love Story (vs Finally)http://www.discogs.com/release/95746 but after they had finishedwe went to the Pussy Parlure and indoor place and the music was class funky house and garage and funnily enough just a few mins after Layo and Bushwacka finished the DJ played Love Story (vs Finally) in the Pussy Parlure which was kicking i would've stayed there allnight but it was time for Basement Jaxx so we went to catch them i did plan on watching half Basement Jaxx and half Pet Shop Boys it was only later on that i discovered the Pet Shop Boys came on earlier so i was gutted i missed them.
    Anyway Basement Jaxx started great but for the next 25 mins were pretty poor and too mellow we were nearly gonna leave to catch Francois K in Bodytonic but they picked up and ended up being top class as usual,atmosphere was deadly.
    After Basement Jaxx we hurriedly made our way back to Bodytonic to catch Laurent Garnier Live the place was too mobbed even worse than 2 Many DJ's but we managed to somehow get in,why did we bother it was absolute rubbish boring as fcuk,for 20 mins he played mellow s*it which is seriously not on at 12.30am @ a festival,when it got going it was boring minimal stuff rubbish,we were very disapointed inded after seeing him DJ in Ibiza last month he was deadly but playing live he was rubbish so we left.decided to check out Lost Vagueness tent and man never seen anything like it before,a cabaret cum circus it was so bizzare and surreal puts Manumission to shame,we had an absolute ball there looking at this bloke swallowing swords (for real :eek: ) this other cyber punk was juggling a chainshaw with tennis balls,there were go go dancers on stage for a while who were deadly,this diva called Miss Gracie came on she's like a modern day Marilyn Monroe she was fantastic voice of an angel and a stunning woman as well,all birds dancing on the stage as well to 1970's funk and 1980's electro it was amazing im sick i didn't go in there the Friday or Saturday http://www.lostvagueness.com/ rules a surreal and bizzare show everyone was loving it,this dude as well the beatbox was amazing the sounds he made with his voice was amazing,after LV finished made our way back to the car park for the last party of the nite,cant rememeber much after 5am to be honest:D woke up this afternoon in bits and then home.

All in all it was the absolute business id love it if it was on for 5 days as you just do not want to leave,everyone so friendly and no knackers there like oxy*en which i wouldn't bother going to again.

Highlights for me

New Order
    Groove Armada
    Massive Attack
    Bodytonic Sound System
    Krafty Kuts
    Switch
    Basement Jaxx
    Gary Numan
    Lost Vagueness
    Coldcut

Dispointments
    Laurent Garnier Live (rubbish)
    DJ Shadow

ROLL ON EP 2007 I CANT WAIT!!!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭matu

Well I was going to start a new topic for this but hey what is the point in having loads of EP topics, anyway here are some recordings of the event just so you can relive the moments.

I will have video footage in the next few days.

New Order Part 1;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ED4OIJEJ

New Order Part 2;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DBAMJ4OX

Andrew Weatherall Part 1;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4UY4E8LL

Andrew Weatherall Part 2;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1LECANEF

Andrew Weatherall Part 3 & 2 many Dj’s Part 1;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=0BRR09IW

2 many Dj’s Part 2;
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DOCS6CMN

• Advertisement

Cheers matu i took a load of videos ill upload ythem tomorrow im too tired now:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭cxcully

sometimes when you're monged,your judgement is impaired...so it's good to hear that somebody else thought garnier was rubbish too.
    We left after about 40 minutes...it was like the emperor's new clothes...everybody just cheering as if they were enjoying it.

I was dancing to some Jungle outside the Body Art Henna stall on Sat nite i took a video as well will upload it tomorrow evening.

cxcully wrote:
    sometimes when you're monged,your judgement is impaired...so it's good to hear that somebody else thought garnier was rubbish too.
    We left after about 40 minutes...it was like the emperor's new clothes...everybody just cheering as if they were enjoying it.

He should stick to DJing that's what he's best at,boring minimal techno in the dance tent @ 12.30 is just not on,loads left from what i could see,very disapointing was Garnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Have to disagree lads, although Im a big minimal head myself.
    Thought garnier was ****in brilliant, absolutely savage. Totally what I was looking for from the whole thing. Was only there for the sunday and didnt see much of the whole festival but the bodytonic tent from 8pm til the end on sunday night was, in my opinion almost flawless. Francois K was the business and I dont usually like him, did every dj in there a lot of justice imo. The sound system was amazing, was expecting some **** system after being blown away by sonars earlier in the year, but was shocked at how good it turned out to be. Cant comment on the rest of the tents but I imagine they were the same/similar.
    Anyways, roll on electric picnic next year, will definately be there, best irish festival since mosney winter party.

AB03 wrote:
    Have to disagree lads, although Im a big minimal head myself.
    Thought garnier was ****in brilliant, absolutely savage. Totally what I was looking for from the whole thing. Was only there for the sunday and didnt see much of the whole festival but the bodytonic tent from 8pm til the end on sunday night was, in my opinion almost flawless. Francois K was the business.
    Just my 2c.

everyone to their own man id personally sooner watch paint dry than listen to minimal techno i find it incredibly boring,more of a funky house & garage man myself although i do appreciate proper techno German and Belgium style!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

PJ Harvey, Belle and Sebastian, Graham Coxon, and the Skatalites put on the best gigs.

The Long Blondes were good as well.

cxcully wrote:
    you summed up my feelings for DJ Shadow's set perfectly there actually.
    couldn't get anywhere near the bodytonic tent after 12 last night, so i'm glad i didn't miss much.

have a load of vids too, gonna take ages to root through them all though:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 smuid

garnier's a spanner. cripsy and red face were class but he was laughin at us with that slow sh*te. what happened tiefschwarz?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Thought Mogwai were very good on the Friday. Tried to get in to PJ Harvey but that tent was far too packed. Couldn't see anything from the back.

Was very disappointed at Nathan Fake cancelling (can't find any info on the how the when or why). Hystereo played mostly new stuff, just a few tracks from the album (left halfway through this actually, felt odd dancing in wellies...)

Caught the start of Bloc Party before going to Soulwax. Did plenty of covers of Tiga (Move My Body, YGWM), Tomas Anderson (Copy Cat, Washing Up), and some 90's hoover-style rave track I couldn't remember the name of. Saw the end of New Order from way at the back. Whole place dancing for Love Will Tear Us Apart (even more than for Blue Monday).

Then back to 2 Many DJs, very packed around the entrance, much more room towards the front. Seemed to be just David Dewaele (and some other guy helping him towards the start, maybe from Bodytonic?, seemed to be a much more vocal house-y kinda set then). No real surprises in the set (Erotic Discourse, Windowlicker, La Rock, 2 tracks by both Justice and Digitalism). He also played Arcade Fire (Rebellion Lies), Blue Monday, a nice Parklife/Never Be Alone mash, and their crazy new Ravelight remix of Robbie Williams (can see this one becoming a staple of their sets for the future)

Highlight of the weekend was probably Hot Chip (although it clashed with Switch, Neosupervital). The new one they played was especially good (video of it below), lots of RTE Two cameras at it too, more than I had noticed at other shows.

Went to comedy for a while, before making it back for the end of Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Basement Jaxx. Didn't go near Garnier at the end, but gave the Silent Disco a try (crazy queue for it though).

Disappointments were missing both Broken Social Scene and DJ Shadow. Would have liked to have seen Saul Williams and the Rapture too.

Video: Hot Chip http://www.silo.ru/dl/files/1221208703

• Advertisement

Just listening to that 2 Many DJs set now, sounds so much better than last year!
    Would've loved to have hopped around to them playing spinal scratch, but had a laugh at Groove Armada anyways...
    Top weekend all in all, even if most of my mates seemed to abhor the bodytonic arena (only managed to get them to see Weatherall)

Nathan Fake missed his flight apparently, gotta say Barry Redsetta done a fine job filling in for him though.

Other dance highlights for me were

Crazy P
    Dancepig
    Laurent Garnier (even better than Sonar, think most people arent getting that it was a live show and was never gonna be banging)
    Soulwax doin their Niteversions thing
    Andy Weatherall
    Ian Pooley
    The rave in Carpark D on Sat night
    Shadow finishing with Organ Donar

Disappointments dance wise
    Francois K
    The rest of Shadows set
    The Tir na Gasta rave in the woods

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Blu Eyz

Electric Picnic this year was ****in amazing.....

Highlight for me was defo Groove Armada.....i squeezed my way as far up the front as possible.....they were savage!!

I also fell upon a rave in one of the carparks, which one i have no idea...spent a couple of hours buzzing with all the revellers...

Im depressed as I have nothing to look forward to now :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AB03

Look forward to i love techno hahahha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

If Dancepig had been put on after dark he would have been one of the highlights of the festival - thought he put on a bloody brilliant show with some nice visuals :) Messiah J and The Expert definitely would have given Melle Mel and co. a run for their money as well, but the rest of the homegrown acts left a little to be desired.

Broken Social Scene and some Ska band I saw were quite good, missed DJ Shadow (went for a serious bit of a lie down in my tent), caught a bit of The Frames who weren't too bad and also some of New Order (which was jammers).

Bodytonic tent on the Saturday night was popping - whoever was on pre-2 Many DJs was excellent. Laurent Garnier was a huge let down.

Overall I thought the picnic was a bit of a dissapointment - I think I went a year late as the close atmosphere which everyone praised from the last festival just wasn't there. Also, the line up was nearly better (Fatboy Slim, Arcade Fire, Flaming Lips)

jimi_t wrote:
    Bodytonic tent on the Saturday night was popping - whoever was on pre-2 Many DJs was excellent. Laurent Garnier was a huge let down.
    Andrew Weatherall - wish I could've stayed for more of that great set :)
    There's a link for it up yonder btw

Sorry about stealing your sets, but I've been uploading all of the EP06 stuff posted so far to my own webspace (megaupload pisses me off so much)
    Download speeds won't be great, but at least you'll be able to have multiple downloads running at the same time...
    http://bassilisk.com/music/EP2006/

• Advertisement

Nice one Jonny
    I've stuck a few of my own vids up here, youtube is being a bit of a bollix and not uploading all of them though... (quite a few are still pending)

video footage
    HERE

you legend matu:)
    it displays at a higher resolution if you click on the go to google video link btw

I have 2 more videos coming in at 3hours long but google rejected them so Im splitting them in half again and seeing if they except it then, if that dont work I'll use youtube or metacafe one way or another Im going to show you!!!!

I recorded it in high res and I know my stuff on compressing so I thought I'd get the best quality avalible.
    it is 1hour and 11 mins of footage and it streams at 500kb so the pic and sound quality is good.

Nice one man ill have a butchers at this now bring back the memories on a dull wednesday nite ;)

here is part 2 of the video uploaded and part 3 should be up tomorrow
    http://electric-circus.net/site/content/view/155/108/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Orla Mugurry

We were alll mad out if the whole weekend and we had no hassle at all from any cops at that EP

Deadly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

We were alll mad out if the whole weekend

i wish i was as cool as you

Advertisement