Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journey

• 30-08-2006 10:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭

So I figured I can't be the only Journey fan here...but couldn't find any other threads about them.
    Easily one of the best rock ballad bands of all time.
    Anyone agree/disagree?

Come on now, show the love.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AlanOB

I ****ing love Journey.

Steve Perry's voice may be the greatest thing I have ever heard, particularly on tracks like Still They Ride and Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'.

Neal Schon's songwriting meanwhile is second to none in the arena rock world. Just look at their Greatest Hits album (probably one of the best such compliations ever released). 15 out of 15 tracks are solid gold AOR, with not a clunker among them.

Favourite album: Escape
    Favourite song: Winds of March

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

No, never really listened to them, but I did post a thread about Neal Schon's rig and wondered how in gods name anyone could use all that stuff?!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

If you listened....you'd know.
    Nah, but seriously.
    They're defo worth a listen, just a few blokes that are all very talented at their own field, who combine this to make some of the greatest and cheesiest roack ballads ever.
    They're definatly up there with Andrew W.K. in party music necesity.

My favourite song would be 'Seperate Ways'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

I like what I've heard (Don't stop believing, Any way you want it, Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin'), but I've never investigated them any further really...perhaps I'll give em a shot though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I only ever bought one album - Escape (naturalment!) and was pleasantly suprised by its volume of loudness. I was problerly fearing 8 mid tempo ballards.

I've just realised I have a whole little sub-genre collection of FM rock - Heart, Boston, Cheap Trick, Joshua, Trevor Rabin, one or two others. :o

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

what a band!
    class greatest hits album, one for the long journeys in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭MagnumForce

Steve Perry has such an amazing voice! Open Arms is one of the best balladish songs ever! and Any Way You Want It is one of the song which plays when my alarm goes off! And Don't Stop Believin is such a feel good song

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ah nothiin beats a bit of cheese!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

evad_lhorg wrote:
    ah nothiin beats a bit of cheese!

Would you like cheese with that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭Toneranger

Journey F/uckin rule

I tried to start a cover band last year, but I got zero feedback.

They are far too sophisticated a band to ever have made it in Ireland, although Steve Perry lends his vocals to Clannad's White Foll.

Faithfully is a class song, in fact on their Double Greatest Hits, I can't think of a bad song.

Steve Perry is now a Recluse and shuns the Limelight. His solo album was pretty cool, name of the hit song on it slips my mind.

They are Managed by Irv Azoff who has Managed, Eagles, since day one, and also manages Christina Skank Whore Aguilera.

They're songs are text book examples of how to write a Love Ballad or Feel good rock song.

You'll never see the likes in Irish Outdoor festivals as they are far to unfashionably Untrendy for Electric Picyournose or Wankness.

Yes Journey rule, but could many Irish people tell you a Journey song if they heard it on the Radio?

My guess no.

Send her my Love is my favourite.

Anyone wants to start a Journey band in the future do get in touch
    foyler81@yahoo.com

in the meantime I won't hold my breath and I'll drown my sorrows in some heart rendering Journey Love Ballads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Out Of Order

Yep, another Journey fan here.
    Steve Perry is great.

That's hilarious, thanks for the youtube link above.

JOURNEY lives in Karaoke Sitcom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Toneranger wrote:
    Steve Perry is now a Recluse and shuns the Limelight. His solo album was pretty cool, name of the hit song on it slips my mind.
    The album was Street Talk and the song was Oh Sherrie. It was played a few times on MT USA back in the day, IIRC.

I remember thinking Journey was a pop ballad band until I heard Escape and being pleasantly surprised. They can write killer ballads and rockers in equal measure. Faithfully, Lights and Don't Stop Believin' (someday I'll be drunk enough to do my karaoke version of this in front of actual people!) would be my favouite tracks.

They recently released a CD/DVD of a show from the Escape tour (Live in Houston 1981) which was the first concert ever shown on MTV, trivia fans. Well worth a look (music is great, the concert footage somewhat less so!).

Yes Blastman you were right the album was Street Talk, but the song I was thinking of was "Foolish Heart" ...hear me calling, stop before you start falling... etc. just remembered that now.

Ive been meaning to buy that DVD

Actually that song he did with Clannad "White Fool" on past present was about the American Indians being wiped out, if you look at Steve Perry he is very American Indian looking. maybe Im wrong. But Perry is a popualr name amongst American Indians.

Dodgy Pop Trivia.

Anyway gotta love de Journey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Ah, right, you meant the OTHER hit from the album.... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,459 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I saw them at Monsters of Rock in june. They were really good. Their new lead singer sounds exactly like Steve Perry. It's uncanny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

journey rock, missed them by a day when i was in san diego - was crushed. listening to dont stop believin right now. i only have their greatest hits whats their best album?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 invisiblewill

Apparently the guitarist that founded Journey started playing with Carlos Santana when he was 15 years old. He's a deadly guitarist.

oh yeah and Journey do rock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Journey have been a favorite of mine for a while as mentioned above long car journeys!! Steve perry was and still is a legendery vocalist,the "new guy" steve agueri(sp) is quite good aswell i think hes in the band about 10 yrs now and hes still referred to as the new guy lol but at the moment they have Jeff scott Soto singing for them which i would love to see!!! If anyone hasint heard sotos band with neil schon Soul Sirkus you should try locate it some great hard rock songs on there!

• Advertisement
Advertisement