Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

J2ME question: certificates/signing midlets

Options
  • 30-08-2006 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

I have created a J2ME application which allows you to use your webtexts from your mobile (texts cost a fraction of a cent each). See here for more details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51986541#post51986541

Anyway, the problem is that each time the midlet wants to send information to the internet, the phone asks th user "Allow application to send to the internet". I would like to know if there is a way to not have this message.

Now I think this is something to do with signing the application/certificates or something but I don't really know the specifics (I hope I don't need to buy a certificate from Verisign or someone!).

Does anyone have any experience in this domain?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

dal wrote:
    I have created a J2ME application which allows you to use your webtexts from your mobile (texts cost a fraction of a cent each). See here for more details:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=51986541#post51986541

Anyway, the problem is that each time the midlet wants to send information to the internet, the phone asks th user "Allow application to send to the internet". I would like to know if there is a way to not have this message.

Now I think this is something to do with signing the application/certificates or something but I don't really know the specifics (I hope I don't need to buy a certificate from Verisign or someone!).

Does anyone have any experience in this domain?

I presume that is down to the security settings on the phone and cannot be overrided.

When you consider the vulnerability of smartphones to viruses, it would be stupid of the manufacturers to allow something like this to be bypassed

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

I presume that is down to the security settings on the phone and cannot be overrided.

When you consider the vulnerability of smartphones to viruses, it would be stupid of the manufacturers to allow something like this to be bypassed

It would be stupid if every app that you installed had unrestricted access to everything on your phone without prompting the user, but not if the user had previously installed a certificate to say that he/she trusted the company that produced the app. This way, the user might only be asked once if the app could have access to the internet and then not be prompted again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

AFAIR it is a setting in each individual device and cannot be overriden.

The user can set it to ask once per program though or every time or never.

Advertisement