Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Broadband, wireless router to pc/laptop problem

• 30-08-2006 10:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭

ok have the pc getting bband from wireless router no problems

had to reformat and reinstall windows on lappie, all done, the pcmcia card is connection to the router for a few seconds (connection excellent says the dialog box0 then gone for few secs then back in that cycle

what am i doing wrong

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Moving to wireless forum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

had to reformat and reinstall windows on lappie, all done, the pcmcia card is connection to the router for a few seconds (connection excellent says the dialog box0 then gone for few secs then back in that cycle
    Hardware makes and models for all relevant equipment please. If you're using XP on the Laptop, are you using the drivers that came with card or the Wireless Zero Configuration tools?

Does it work if you disable encryption?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Hmm_Messiah

all are D Link

the pcmcia card is a DWl 650 its b

the other two are DWL-922 Wireless Network Kit

"Wireless USB Network Kit, DI-524/DWL-G122, 54Mbps Give yourself the flexibility of connecting to your network via desktop or laptop using the D-Link USB Wireless Network Kit. The advanced 802.11g wireless technology built into the DWL-922 offers up to 54Mbps through its wireless channels,"

the card was working perfecting with an older router, but I wanted to update things

I've not tried disabling encryption

if you monitor the card it says " no network connection" then 3 seconds later says "network detected - excellent"

I've tried it without pc running, same problem . At same time I was doing a tonne of things last night reformaatting, re installing windows, putting back on a sack load of sw so maybe I did somethign silly

I used the driver that came with the card (the router and adapter had MASSIVE warning stickers to use the cds)

Any help appreciated. Thanks

pcmcia card is a d link dwl-650+

I wonder is it anything to do with beig older model not compatible with WPE?

i don't get though how it connects on and off in cycles every few seconds

pcmcia card is a d link dwl-650+

I wonder is it anything to do with beig older model not compatible with WPE?
    If it's the old, discontinued 802.11b card, then it only supports WEP.
    i don't get though how it connects on and off in cycles every few seconds
    Because it's making a connection, then failing to make the encryption "handshake".

Verify that everything works with encryption turned off. This will prove that you have an encryption problem, (which is why I asked the question in the first place).

Then throw away the dwl-650+ and get a card that supports WPA-PSK.

• Advertisement

bought this last night :
    D-Link AirPlusG+ DWL-G650+ Laptop Wireless Cardbus Adapter

hopefully solve all my problems .

Do now struggling to find where I saw it worked with WPA !!!! :eek:

bought this last night :
    D-Link AirPlusG+ DWL-G650+ Laptop Wireless Cardbus Adapter

hopefully solve all my problems .

Do now struggling to find where I saw it worked with WPA !!!! :eek:
    The DWL-G650+ does support WPA. The older DWL-650+ doesn't.

Here's the support link for the older card:
    http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DWL%2D650%2B

The DWL-G650+ isn't listed on either the US or the UK Dlink webstes, but it is listed on their German website, which does say that it supports WPA-PSK.
    http://www.dlink.de/?go=gNTyP9CgrdFOIC4AStFCF834mptYKO9ZTdvhLPG3yV3oV49/kP98f8p8M6tn5jwvBSrrySZG/Y8KANc=

And I'm using a DI-524 right now, over a WPA-PSK protected wireless ink, so I know that it supports WPA-PSK too.

thanks for the reply, I was trying to follow links to see if it supported WPA etc etc, bu while at work and not always the easiest thing .

thx for the replies

I can't read german

I wonder is this what i need

http://network.free-driver-download.com/D-Link/2879/D-Link-DWL-650+-Driver-3.06-Windows-98-ME-2000-XP.html

becuase the new card is connecting /disconnecting tooo !!!

and its not letting me even uninstall the old utility ( support file not found)

I can't read german
    Neither can I, but I'm pretty sure that this
    Datenverschlüsselung: WEP (64, 128 Bit), WPA, WPA2-PSK
    means that the DWL-G650+ supports WPA-PSK.
    That's a driver for a DWL-650+. You said that you just bought a DWL-G650+ - which is not the same beast at all!

The latest drivers for the G version appear to be version 2.04
    because the new card is connecting /disconnecting tooo !!!
    I don't make a habit of repeating myself, but for the 3rd time
    Foxwood wrote:

• Advertisement

I've not checked becuase 1. usually get to looka t it near 1am, 2. its aknown issue so obviously an encryption thing, the komplett forum is full of queries on Dlink pcmcia cards and WPA problems

Apparently an alternative is force windows to connect (don't use the driver provided ) with WirelessZero Connection ? Have not had time to look it up.

I've not checked becuase 1. usually get to looka t it near 1am,
    In the week since I first asked the question, you'd had time to post a number of responses, but not had time to spend 3 minutes to see if disabling encryption resolves the problem, which would indicate whether you had a hardware problem or a software problem?

I won't waste any more of your precious time so.

Precious

I said I had identified this as a well reported encryption problem soI didn't use my time up trying that out.
    I post here from work, the laptop is at home where I get to spend very little time (awake)

Advertisement