Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CD Drive not working

• 30-08-2006 11:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭

Can someone please help me out here, the CD drive of my laptop won't work, when I open Windows Explorer, it doesn't show the CD Drive. I did go into the Control Panel and had a look at the hardware, but nothing there either. Any ideas why the laptop is not seeing it? It did before, and I have not done anything to it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Make, model of laptop and operating system might be helpful in finding a solution for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Sorry Ruuu, it is a Packard Bell EasyNote R4650 with Intel Celeron. And has Windows XP. It was only bought last January in PC World.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ok cool, when your computer starts up does it detect the device. It might say "Detecting CD-ROM(Model number)" or something similar, also try going into the BIOS setup menu and seeing if its in that menu there (not sure what the key is F2, DEL when the computer boots up). Is the drive removable?

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭Signpost

Robo all i can say is i pity you. I had the same laptop and first my cd rom drive went. they ended up taking it back and returing it 20 days later with a new harddrive. next the hd went again 20 days returned fixed. finally it started to switch itself off when in use for about an hour. Only for seeking legal advice i would probably still be stuck with it creating problems. PC World from experience are a shower of miserable ******* and will give you 0% satisfaction. Dixons who are there sister company understood how much they screwed me around and sorted the problem for me. Hopefully you will have diff results but thats the experience i had. Can prob digg up more info of fixure of fault from report they sent back if i can find it if you want me to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

Thanks guys...well I was trying to clean the hard drive of the laptop and reload Windows XP so I had the Windows XP cd in and changed the BIOS to boot from CD but it wouldn't read the CD. I made no other changes. And then I booted as normal, the CD drive is in Windows Explorer and when I put a CD into it and click the D(CD/DVD) drive and I now get the message -
    Disk is not formatted - Windows cannot read from the disk. The disk might be corupted, ot it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows.

I have tried other CDs and it won't read any of them...any ideas?? :confused:

• Advertisement
Advertisement