Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Do we? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

I'm afraid of my kitchen.

There's been a layer of water on the counter on either side of and behind the hob for a couple of weeks now. This water has many particles of food suspended in it. The ambient temperature up here on the fourth floor is about 24 degrees Celsius. Which is pretty good breeding temperature for bacteria.

I'm pretty certain that this layer of water would make a devastating biological weapon, judging by the smell.

In other news, AAAAAAH exams etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Re: the cold in the RDS, I didn't actually notice it that much - I was wearing my second-warmest fleecey hoodie-type thing, though I'm thinking of wearing the big heavy one tomorrow just in case people telling me it's really cold makes my brain think it's cold ("I dunno dad, you are the highly suggestible type" "...Yes, I am the highly suggestible type!"). My main problem was the smell of horse manure (or possibly the guy next to me, who's to know), which was kinda distracting and gross, but I'm going to assume without even asking that there's nothing much Donal can do about that one. Plus, it did help stave off my usual "It's halfway through the exam and I'm starving" distraction, which is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

if i had known you were starving i'd have thrown food at you..and of course in the process gottne my paper canceled been kicked out of college and all sorts of other things, but thats what friends are for.

also i brought alot of food and water in with me.

Food is allowed??? :eek: I thought just water?

• Advertisement

well they didnt give out to me so presumably.

i just left it on the ground beside my desk.

i have my first exam tomo & just wanna make sure i don't go to the wrong place, considering ucd are in the rds too...we're both in simmonscourt, yes? and...how the hell does that work, is there actually two sepearate halls, cos i don't recall there being two last year...

Yes, they're both in the same location, just beside each other. Just look for the cloak wearing invigilators, and steer clear of anyone with a D4 accent (though the latter may not work.)

Seriously though, it should be signposted better. There should be someone at the gates directing TCD people where to go anyways (was there today, but I assume will be more visible from today).
    shay_562 wrote:
    My main problem was the smell of horse manure (or possibly the guy next to me, who's to know), which was kinda distracting and gross, but I'm going to assume without even asking that there's nothing much Donal can do about that one.

Actually, I'd recommend some deodorant.

Wear your coat into the RDS tomorrow, it's now allowed!

[edit] Of course food and water is allowed! Just don't bring in pizza boxes, they might examine it for hidden pencils or notes. Oh! And don't bring crisps or anything that's-in-tinfoil-ey into an exam, or you'll have several hundred students looking for your blood.

No delicious crunchy apples either then? :)

*edit: hidden pencils? Is there a set amount of writing apparatus you can bring?

Nah sorry. The SU is planning to run an "anti-stress through free water, pens, bars, calculators and other things" campaign but it mightn't take off until the end of the week.

[edit]
    *edit: hidden pencils? Is there a set amount of writing apparatus you can bring?

I was making a joke about the lack of being able to bring a pencil case into an exam, which was obviously way too subtle :)

I thought you could, just as long as it's not on the desk?

I got the implied joke... but thought always better to be safe than sorry when dealing with exams! ;)

• Advertisement

1. Clean-Desk Policy

A ‘clean-desk’ policy exists for all official examinations. In addition to
    pens, pencils, rulers, ID card, etc. only materials permitted for an
    examination may be placed on an examination desk. Items such as pencil
    cases, calculator covers and spectacle cases are not normally permitted.

Unfortunately, the Senior Lecturer's e-mail says all.

Ah, no... thanks for the heads up. Would have brought in my pencil case otherwise :( - genuinely interpreted that as "only materials permitted...placed on desk...pencil cases...not permitted." Thought that the ground was okay then.

That, plus the coat rule annoy me incredibly. I was always the type of person to bring bundles of pens/pencils/compasses/protractors/rulers with me, as well as some water, sweets, and at least 2 calculators.

Myth wrote:
    Nah sorry. The SU is planning to run an "anti-stress through free water, pens, bars, calculators and other things" campaign but it mightn't take off until the end of the week.

but i'm finished on saturday and i like free stuff...

Got a message from the TCD job vacancies looking for people to hand out goody bags :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

especially with the peasants next door... ;)

Lovely :rolleyes:
    shay_562 wrote:
    Plus, it did help stave off my usual "It's halfway through the exam and I'm starving" distraction, which is a bonus.

I have a solution to this: a litre of water, packet of polo mints, som e good dark chocolate and two junior fyffes bananas (I swear, I eat so much it's unreal :rolleyes:) I forgot to bring enough supplies into last Thursday morning's exam, and was starving by 11am; all I could think about was how much I wanted food.
    Pet wrote:
    I'm afraid of my kitchen.

There's been a layer of water on the counter on either side of and behind the hob for a couple of weeks now. This water has many particles of food suspended in it. The ambient temperature up here on the fourth floor is about 24 degrees Celsius. Which is pretty good breeding temperature for bacteria.

I'm pretty certain that this layer of water would make a devastating biological weapon, judging by the smell.

In other news, AAAAAAH exams etc.

I sympathise with the entirety of this post. Some people are just manky. :mad:

Hermione* wrote:

I have a solution to this: a litre of water, packet of polo mints, som e good dark chocolate and two junior fyffes bananas (I swear, I eat so much it's unreal :rolleyes:) I forgot to bring enough supplies into last Thursday morning's exam, and was starving by 11am; all I could think about was how much I wanted food.

at times we appear to be scarily alike.:confused:

but good quality dark chocolate is a must

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

With me in exams it's just water and chewing gum. I coudn't eat that much in an exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail I'm gonna fail.

I'm Slightly worried about todays exam...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

ah ye'll be grand.............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

No, i wont, thats the problem :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

The news about Dr Newman has me down a bit all day. I was (still am?) considering re-sitting Schols next year. She teaches two of the courses, and would be marking my General Paper. With herself (and Mr Ed O'Brien, presumably) leaving Maths+Stats next year, I can't presume it will be the same and repeatable. Even though she wrote the book for The Economy of Ireland, the course and assessment could be quite different if some other lecturer got their mits on it. Furthermore, she's so easy to get on with I was expecting it to be a joy to be preparing my General Paper answer for the year.

But aside from that, if what we hear is true, fair play to her and I wish her all the best.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Economy of Ireland is John O'Hagan's baby, I wouldn't worry about it. It wont change too much when he's still involved. As for doing Schol in 3rd year, I'd say you'll be fine in terms of the subjects themselves, but make sure you think through the fact that you're effectively trying to do two years of college in one. Even if you were to get Schol, you don't get any form of exemptions from end of year exams. I know one person who did it last year, and they constantly seemed to be working. They survived and got Schol, but there would not be much point in getting Schol if you're going to end up failing 3rd year because of it. I'd say go for it, but try and think how much work you're getting yourself in for.

As for ranting, worst exam ever today. What's worse was it wasn't the worst exam paper, just the worst performance by a student ever. Ah well. On the plus side, I'll never ever have to experience a worse exam performance, which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

gilroyb wrote:
    Economy of Ireland is John O'Hagan's baby, I wouldn't worry about it. It wont change too much when he's still involved.
    Yeah good point.
    As for doing Schol in 3rd year, I'd say you'll be fine in terms of the subjects themselves, but make sure you think through the fact that you're effectively trying to do two years of college in one.
    Yep I have been thinking of that and have come up with (..several) contingency plans! I am currently being a capital saver in the form of non-consumption, so that I can afford to not work next year. This will make a huge difference. I expect Michaelmas Term will be hell with JS stuff alone (hello econometrics!). Not having to leave College at 4pm twice a week should make this very achievable, coupled with my imminent purchase on Basic Econometrics by Guradkjasdiopwerq next Saturday and the mpending doom over the summer that will lead to. Furthermore, my four essays in Law got me a First, so I can't imagine they'll fail to get me a First next year if I reproduce them. The II.1 in Economy of Ireland was caused by a woeful answer on equality/equity, a topic that I steer well clear from next year. Essentially, for the Economy of Ireland, I could get a first by upping the few essays I have just a bit and choosing one new section - all easily achievable over the summer months.
    Even if you were to get Schol, you don't get any form of exemptions from end of year exams. I know one person who did it last year, and they constantly seemed to be working. They survived and got Schol, but there would not be much point in getting Schol if you're going to end up failing 3rd year because of it.
    Séin, is it? I might have a word with him about the prospect actually, to save me asking you for his JS results over the web :D.
    I'd say go for it, but try and think how much work you're getting yourself in for.
    Oh I know. The girlfriend's delighted, needless to say, that she won't see me much next year either. Particularly after my promise that Schols was an exceptional item on the balance sheet and that it wouldn't happen again :o.
    As for ranting, worst exam ever today. What's worse was it wasn't the worst exam paper, just the worst performance by a student ever. Ah well. On the plus side, I'll never ever have to experience a worse exam performance, which is nice.
    Sorry about that :(. They always suck. Don't let it knock your performance for your next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I thought you could only sit schols once?

John2 wrote:
    I thought you could only sit schols once?

no you can sit it repeatedly. i know someone who got 69 the first time round and went back for the 2nd time and got it.

still its a huge burden to put upon yourself to do it twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

still its a huge burden to put upon yourself to do it twice.
    Once is hard enough..

I was thinkin of doin it again next year. Quickly decided BAD IDEA. What with finals, and just general not wanting to put myself through all that utter horribleness again (also on the chance that I'd get so bastardly close again).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Just don't get bitter like my flatmate. He's positively acidic.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Pet wrote:
    Just don't get bitter like my flatmate. He's positively acidic.
    I dont get being bitter in this case, cos it's bein bitter at yourself for not getting it, nobody else. And since I find bad-blood between all those personalities in my head quite distasteful I've chosen not to be bitter ;)

Em anyway tis an opportunity for me to possibly go overseas for a phd. Something I really want to do but wouldn't have done had I gotten the scholarship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭gilroyb

Séin, is it? I might have a word with him about the prospect actually, to save me asking you for his JS results over the web :D.

Well he was the one who did Schol in 3rd year, but he was able to manage doing 2nd year, 3rd year, and the SER thrown in there. But he was a force of nature, I don't think he slept that year. The hurting your 3rd year results was a hypothetical, but one you should definitely consider. He got on fine in all three things he was doing, but as I said, force of nature.

The other thing I'd advise you to do is to check with the BESS office/law school to find out who's teaching the BESS law course next year. I know that it's changed since my time, and if it happened to change again I'd see it as the most likely subject to change substantially. Just something to check into if you can.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement