Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Official "rant/bitch/moan" Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

RANT: You me and Dupree. I mean who the hell ever gave the go ahead for that piece of crap?!?!?!

You know, just because you can see all the movies doesn't mean you should see all the movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

shay_562 wrote:
    You know, just because you can see all the movies doesn't mean you should see all the movies.

Never a truer word was said.

stargal wrote:
    Hah! I see all your wussy little rants [Enda excluded] and raise you.

The night before last I spent two of the most painful hours of my life trying to take out one of my contact lenses, eventually giving up at 4am when the sheer pain of touching my eye, combined with the fact that by this stage I was crying like, well, a girl, meant that there was nothing else I could do. There are no words to describe the gross horribleness of poking at your increasingly horrible looking eye attempting to pry out something that you can't even see anymore and getting more and more frustrated every time.

Woke up at 7am cos my eye hurt so much. Ended up going into Specsavers so a qualified person could poke at my bloodshot eye instead of my increasingly ham-fisted attempts.

Upshot is that the stupid eye is now recovering and that I haven't had to resort to buying an eyepatch, which I was seriously considering at one stage to disguise the twitching, leery mess that my eye had become, making me look that much more pervier than usual.

Anyway. Beat that boys and girls. And the stupid part of the story? Despite the pain and the grossness, I know I'll still be wearing the lenses again in a couple of days. Quelle idiot.

Same happened to me before, but I have to ask - why did you go to sleep? You're not meant to go to sleep with contacts in, full stop!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Myth wrote:
    Same happened to me before, but I have to ask - why did you go to sleep? You're not meant to go to sleep with contacts in, full stop!

depends On lenses, Mine can be worn for Up to 7 days before i take them out.

Can I sleep in my contact lenses?
    Some contact lenses, like some of the range of ACUVUE® Brand Contact Lenses, can be worn while you sleep. These are called extended wear contact lenses. However, only your Eye Care Professional can determine if extended wear contact lenses are right for you and provide you with information on their proper use.

True, automatically assumed they were daily disposables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

Yeah they were daily disposables so shouldn't have gone to sleep but it was 4 in the morning, I'd been trying for 2 hours and it had gotten so painful that I couldn't actually touch my eyeball at all so it couldn't really have gotten any worse.

The worst and most embarrassing part of the whole thing is that the optician couldn't find it either and told me that it must have fallen out at some stage and that I just hadn't noticed. All of the bloodshotness and the gore and the pain was almost all from my poking at my eye, and not from the contact lens. Morto city, Illinois.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 George's_Key

Well it's possible it went in behind at the back of your eye but I'm sure he/she would have checked. Is your vision not so bad that you'd be able to tell if your lens was on or not?

stargal wrote:
    Yeah they were daily disposables so shouldn't have gone to sleep but it was 4 in the morning, I'd been trying for 2 hours and it had gotten so painful that I couldn't actually touch my eyeball at all so it couldn't really have gotten any worse.

The worst and most embarrassing part of the whole thing is that the optician couldn't find it either and told me that it must have fallen out at some stage and that I just hadn't noticed. All of the bloodshotness and the gore and the pain was almost all from my poking at my eye, and not from the contact lens. Morto city, Illinois.

When it happened to me before, the lens actually split in two in my eye with the second half floating around for most of the day. I got the first half out, and thought that the second bit must have fallen out (was going running that day!) but nope. Managed to keep some of the pain off by using eye-drops which I was hoping would get in between the lens and the eye and loosen it up a bit, and it seemed to work.

Well it's possible it went in behind at the back of your eye but I'm sure he/she would have checked. Is your vision not so bad that you'd be able to tell if your lens was on or not?

Yeah he said it was definitely a possiblity that it had gone behind my eye and that if that happened I would have to go into the Eye & Ear and get an anaesthetic (yowza) and they could find it. He said to give it two days and if it wasn't healing by then to go in to the hospital. However it started clearing up yesterday and is almost back to normal today so that means that it isn't stuck behind my eye. Thankfully.

Oh and in answer to the second bit of your question - you have to move the lens onto the white bit of your eye before you take it out, so it's not on the pupil/iris and you can't see anymore anyway, so I couldn't tell where it was.
    Myth wrote:
    When it happened to me before, the lens actually split in two in my eye with the second half floating around for most of the day. I got the first half out, and thought that the second bit must have fallen out (was going running that day!) but nope. Managed to keep some of the pain off by using eye-drops which I was hoping would get in between the lens and the eye and loosen it up a bit, and it seemed to work.

God. There should be a support group for this kind of stuff :)

In times when my eyes dry up and my lenses are coming out nicely I just pluck them straight off and dont go to the trouble of trying to slide them onto the white bit. It feels like you're going to take your iris with you when you do it, but when it's out, 1 second of agony followed by relief.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

AAAGGRHGRHGR... have to stop being an alcoholic. Went to bed there a few days ago sober and thought to myself "this is strange.. how do I get to sleep now?" Then I tried to recount how often I do this. Since early august could count on one hand how many nights I've been sober. Meh I'm young I'm healthy, it doesn't seem to be affecting me (I'm not working so can sleep through hangovers) apart from uncharactaristicly high tolerance for the stuff. But then today bloody liver is real tender. Scared the **** into me. Right no booze for a while and lots of milk-thistle. It's just stupid no job means that it's always a weekend!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

For you guys who are dealing with contact lenses issues, why not use glasses instead? The thought of putting them in and taking them out every day isn't a nice one, in my opinion. Plus, there's no chance of the lens going into the back of your eye if you wear glasses.

As for the drinking, maybe it's time people cut down on it. I don't drink at all, period. I'm probably one of the only people who don't, but I'm proud to be different. :D

Anyway, that's it for me.

For you guys who are dealing with contact lenses issues, why not use glasses instead? The thought of putting them in and taking them out every day isn't a nice one, in my opinion. Plus, there's no chance of the lens going into the back of your eye if you wear glasses.

I've been wearing glasses since I was in 4th class, so when I was around 16 I was interested in trying out contact lenses. Got the 1 day ones only, and used to wear them on nights out, but haven't worn them in a long time now.

I much prefer glasses to contacts now!

Rant: Laptop came for me today, but I was in bed. Delivery people won't be coming again 'til Monday. Bah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭Endymion

Myth wrote:
    Rant: Laptop came for me today, but I was in bed. Delivery people won't be coming again 'til Monday. Bah.

Hate that.

Yeah I'm the same as Dónal - I've been wearing glasses for years, since I was about 11 I think, so just thought I'd give contacts a go. Glasses are great but you do feel like your face is kind of hidden behind them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

As for the drinking, maybe it's time people cut down on it. I don't drink at all, period. I'm probably one of the only people who don't, but I'm proud to be different. :D

Anyway, that's it for me.

why proud? its just a different lifestyle choice. I drink, I smoke. i'm not proud of it, i am in fact indifferent. I have friends who are vegans, they're not proud, they just chose a different lifestyle.

sorry but i do really hate to see the righteous crap that people who don't drink can come out with (not saying what you said was self righteous, but you know what I mean).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

I just got contacts on Monday and ill definetely wear them going out and maybe for other stuff as well. It seems like a lot of hassle but i think its worth it. (Im so glad i didnt read all this before i got contacts!)
    Do ye have daily or monthly disposables? a preference? Im going back in on Weds and ill probably get a supply of them for a few months then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

contacts certainly are handy for going out, but in recent years due to college i've gotten lazier so just use my glasses more instead of less ?

and i concur with neil, and that non-alcohol vibe might not last you through first year......Dónal can explain the corruption of Alex ;)

I can't stand drunk people when I'm sober. So if I didn't drink I'd never go out. I'm also pretty boring unless I've had a few.

I broke my glasses when I was in 2nd year of College and went and bought contact lenses. I haven't owned a pair of glasses since. This results in me wearing contact lenses all the time. This isn't advised and most people that do what I do get veiny eyes and a lot of soreness. I don't.

Contact lenses are invaluable for sport especially if your eyesight it very bad. At the end of the day glasses make you look nerdy and not everyone wants to look nerdy. Also I though my original pair of glasses suited me and I've since not been able to find a pair that suit me.

I just got contacts on Monday and ill definetely wear them going out and maybe for other stuff as well. It seems like a lot of hassle but i think its worth it. (Im so glad i didnt read all this before i got contacts!)
    Do ye have daily or monthly disposables? a preference? Im going back in on Weds and ill probably get a supply of them for a few months then

If you're starting off, it would be worthwhile getting the daily disposables imo. It means that when you inevitably are struggling to get the lens into your eye and drop it, you don't have to wash it, you can just throw it away and pick another one! After that, see how they go.

I'd also say to get the 30 day supply, again just to see how you're going. You can always buy some more if you run out. No point in getting 60 or 90 only to find out that you wouldn't use them!

But then again, everyone's different.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Why do I drink?!?!?!

More so why do I talk when I drink.

*shakes head*

Why do I drink?!?!?!

More so why do I talk when I drink.

*shakes head*

Ah, morning-after regrets. There there.
    sorry but i do really hate to see the righteous crap that people who don't drink can come out with

Eh, generally people who are naturally self-righteous will find something to be annoying about, and just latch onto alcohol as the hot topic of the day (what with our "drink culture" and other such crap). One of my best friends used to not drink and repeatedly spouted off about how people who do drink are idiots. Now he drinks heavily and spouts off about how people who don't drink are idiots.

Topic: Gah! Who the hell walks into a shop in this day and age and starts trying to haggle over the price, like I'm going to turn around and say "Actually, now that you mention it, that's the price for normal people. For you, the customer savvy and cunning enough to ask for it for less, I'm going to knock 25% off just like that." 19 more days...19 more days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah, contact lenses. :rolleyes:

Well, I have been wearing contacts for about two years now. I first got them when I was around 14/15 for karate class as it was too annoying wearing the el' specs! :D

I then started wearing them regulary. I started out of daily lenses. The first time I wore them was horrible and something like what happened to Myth, happened to me. What happened was one of the contacts was bugging my eye so I took it out but not thinking, I replaced it in the wrong eye so it meant there were two lenses in one eye. :( It got stuck in the eye and I mamaged to romove one but the other split in two pieces and caused an eye infection. Eventually, after a few days it came out. The pieces of the contact lense had been stuck behind the eye but eventually came out.

I never went to bed wearing them though which is good. I will always make sure I take them out first. ;)

I use monthly lenses now from Speacsavers (€50.25 for three monthly pairs) which is affordable and not too badly priced. :) Note: Always make sure you clean each lense on both side after taking them out as a build up of dirt can form.

Rant: I dislike glasses because they take away the beauty of my gorgeous marine-blue eyes :o and I can see better with contacts! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

you return there may of next year.... just to laugh at all the worried lil lc heads, that is once you discover college exams are alot harder than lc ones ;)
    Lol, thanks. I'm over it!

F***king ISS printers. Ate €11.00 of my money today when I tried to print a large colour document. I've been told (by a boardsie, now that I think of it) that I should get it credited back if I write a strongly-worded e-mail, but still...bastards.

shay_562 wrote:
    F***king ISS printers. Ate €11.00 of my money today when I tried to print a large colour document. I've been told (by a boardsie, now that I think of it) that I should get it credited back if I write a strongly-worded e-mail, but still...bastards.

****ing Gestetner printers, you mean. And yeah, get on to them - they were always quite nice about complaints/problems last year, and very quick to get back to you.

trinity.printing@nrg-group.com

(from http://isservices.tcd.ie/facilities/printing.php)

[edit] Wait a minute, an F, 3 stars, and a king?

Myth wrote:
    [edit] Wait a minute, an F, 3 stars, and a king?
    Seems like he censored himself rather than let boards do it. My guess is so the word he intended "Foodking" could easily deduced and not confused with other more vile 7 letter words.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

Myth wrote:
    ****ing Gestetner printers, you mean. And yeah, get on to them - they were always quite nice about complaints/problems last year, and very quick to get back to you.
    Really depends who you get. I work with a guy in DIT (and I've seen him in Trinity) who isn't the best.

The people I've had dealings with in Trinity have all been very nice indeed. And competent to boot.

I was going to type "fricking", but I thought it might be too harsh for everyone's delicate ears, so yes, I self-censored.

And thanks for the address, Myth.

• Advertisement

Note to self (and anyone else who brews beer), Kirin beer bottles are USELESS. I tapped one off the wall accidently there 2 minutes ago and it exploded in my face. Literally glass shards and beer foam EVERYwhere. Didn't get cut by the grace of chance.

Might have been a little bit of my fault with the overcarbonation :o

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement